Bombers Looking to Trade Korey Banks

Rich

Look at it this way. When Walters signed Banks nobody in their wildest dreams would have predicted that the Bomber defence was going to look this good and that Banks would end up as the odd man out. Nobody, especially Walters and Banks.

Insurance costs money...whether you need it or not.

And actually in the long run they will end up saving money...by not having to pay his full salary for 18 games.

But you're paying another guy to take his spot, likely a cheaper import. So it evens out in the end.

No it doesn't...you just said it a cheaper import...so how does that even it out? My guess is they'll make up at least the 60 g's

what the heck happened for real, is  this seriously all because he wasn't a starter and wouldn't accept his role as a backup? if so, that's pretty brutal and selfish on banks part. There has got to be more than just that though. I mean, has to be? No? or is it really as simple as a 34 year old on the downside of his career wouldn't accept a backup role. If that's the case, what other team would want him? I'm not even sure Ottawa would take him actually, what happens if he starts a game, sucks then is replaced? does he ask for his release there too? 

what the heck happened for real, is  this seriously all because he wasn't a starter and wouldn't accept his role as a backup? if so, that's pretty brutal and selfish on banks part. There has got to be more than just that though. I mean, has to be? No? or is it really as simple as a 34 year old on the downside of his career wouldn't accept a backup role. If that's the case, what other team would want him? I'm not even sure Ottawa would take him actually, what happens if he starts a game, sucks then is replaced? does he ask for his release there too?

He'll be 35 in a month and a half.

Look at it this way. When Walters signed Banks nobody in their wildest dreams would have predicted that the Bomber defence was going to look this good and that Banks would end up as the odd man out. Nobody, especially Walters and Banks.

And actually in the long run they will end up saving money...by not having to pay his full salary for 18 games.

But you're paying another guy to take his spot, likely a cheaper import. So it evens out in the end.

If we're getting fussy about the math here, his probable short term replacement is already getting paid by us while sitting on the 1 game IR.  His long term replacement (if needed) once found likely goes on to the PR until an injury happens.  So there might be a few pennies saved in the process.  Maybe enough to give us a small advantage on a juicy FA once the NFL does their cuts.  Maybe enough that no one else is in the conversation if Muamba or Matthews shakes loose.

Or, a nice signing bonus when for Willy at the end of the season that doesn't go on the books for 2015.

No it doesn't...you just said it a cheaper import...so how does that even it out? My guess is they'll make up at least the 60 g's

Because we already paid Banks $60k. $60k + $60k = $120k, which was Banks salary for the full season.

Because we already paid Banks $60k. $60k + $60k = $120k, which was Banks salary for the full season.

huh?

As long as that guy is better (and from the sounds of things pretty much everyone else was this pre-season) then I really don't care about the money side of it. Just play ball. If we keep winning and dominating, in three weeks no one will even remember the name "Korey Banks".

I will always remember the name Korey Banks.  Korey Banks is a reminder of a time when the Bombers literally could not afford the best players.  We passed on 7 years of Korey Banks in his prime because we could not afford his salary and drafted Val St. Germain and Obby Khan instead.  Ignoring ratio implications, having reminders of the muck we've waded thru to get to this point helps me appreciate the present so much more.

huh?
What don't you understand? It's not complicated.

We already paid Banks $60k as his signing bonus. That money is gone. Banks salary for the year was $120k. We already gave him half that in the form of a signing bonus. Let's say his replacement is a cheap import making $60k this season. $60k plus $60k = $120k. No money saved, it's a break even situation.

I will always remember the name Korey Banks.  Korey Banks is a reminder of a time when the Bombers literally could not afford the best players.  We passed on 7 years of Korey Banks in his prime because we could not afford his salary and drafted Val St. Germain and Obby Khan instead.  Ignoring ratio implications, having reminders of the muck we've waded thru to get to this point helps me appreciate the present so much more.

That is a good point. It was too bad that we couldn't afford him back in the day, when he could have anchored the defence for a long time, like he did in BC.

huh?

We already paid Banks $60k as his signing bonus. That money is gone. Banks salary for the year was $120k. We already gave him half that in the form of a signing bonus. Let's say his replacement is a cheap import making $60k this season. $60k plus $60k = $120k. No money saved, it's a break even.

Well seeing as you MUST make your point...and seeing as you have access to all the contracts and details including incentives...You MUST be right!

huh?

We already paid Banks $60k as his signing bonus. That money is gone. Banks salary for the year was $120k. We already gave him half that in the form of a signing bonus. Let's say his replacement is a cheap import making $60k this season. $60k plus $60k = $120k. No money saved, it's a break even.

Well seeing as you MUST make your point...and seeing as you have access to all the contracts and details including incentives...You MUST be right!

First, you asked me to explain further. And, yes, plus or minus a few grand, those numbers are accurate.

What a way to possibly end his career.

If he never comes back, I hope there's someway to get that signing bonus back.

He did nothing to breach his contract so why would should Banks be forced to give his signing bonus back? 

The original reports that he went home on his own would have been a breach of his contract. That's why I thought that. Apparently that's not what happened though.

Fair enough.

First, you asked me to explain further. And, yes, plus or minus a few grand, those numbers are accurate.

Wasn't his signing bonus $50K?

Penton said it was in excess of $50k, and Madani said it was around $60k.

So we'll go with 50k plus, but isn't that the only money he could have earned up to this point?

Wasn't his signing bonus $50K?

Penton said it was in excess of $50k, and Madani said it was around $60k.

So we'll go with 50k plus, but isn't that the only money he could have earned up to this point?

Aside from the CBA bonus and maybe a few hundred dollars in training camp money, yes. That's exactly what my initial explanation said.

Aside from the CBA bonus and maybe a few hundred dollars in training camp money, yes. That's exactly what my initial explanation said.

That's better, because we all know how quickly inflated numbers get exaggerated and then floated around and passed off as accurate, now don't we?