Buchko, Mack Afraid To Answer The Bell?

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/07/28/bombers-get-no-spark-from-new-returner

Article from Kirk Penton about the disappointing debut of Aaron Woods. The last sentence of the Late Hits portion of the article caught my attention:

"Requests by the Winnipeg Sun on Sunday to speak to president/CEO Garth Buchko and GM Joe Mack about the team's 1-4 start were declined."

I think it reflects poorly on the team, especially a community owned team when the top goes into hiding. Would they do the same if the team was 4-1? I tend to doubt it. This is their mess.

why the **** are they wanting to talk to Buchko about the teams start in the first place? What's he possibly going to say? I have no problems with the Bombers saying no to the Sun when it's very obvious that they're just looking to fire up a good old fashioned witch hunt. That chain of newspapers schtick is old and teams won't put up with it. 

why the **** are they wanting to talk to Buchko about the teams start in the first place? What's he possibly going to say? I have no problems with the Bombers saying no to the Sun when it's very obvious that they're just looking to fire up a good old fashioned witch hunt. That chain of newspapers schtick is old and teams won't put up with it. 

Because he's the CEO and the top dog for one. If the product sucks, and he's the leader of the ship of a community owned team, he shouldn't be shying away from tough questions. Sure Friesen has....questionable articles, but I think for the most part Penton does a solid job, so because "it's the Sun" I don't think is a just reason to turn down the interview request, if indeed that was the reason. As I said, would they be shy if the team's record was 4-1? Not likely.

because he is Mack's superior. and if Mack gets canned... Garth will be the guy to pink-slip him. obvs.

Yes, there's really not much that Buchko can contribute here.  What do they want from him?  The team sucks, everyone knows that already.  He's not the GM, he's not coaching and he's not playing.  Really, he's nothing more than a go-between for the BOD and Joe Mack when it comes to the football aspect of the organization.  His actual job is to run the business side of things.  During the stadium opening delay, new security policy issues and parking/transit debacle, he was front and centre addressing the media and fans.  There's not much he can do about the state of the team right now until he gets word from the Board to make changes.  

But as Bluto pointed out, if (most likely when) Mack gets canned, it will be Butchko who fires him, and he'll also sadly be in charge of hiring a new GM as well. That in itself is reason enough to get comments from him. He does have a role when it comes to the on field product.

Because he's the CEO and the top dog for one. If the product sucks, and he's the leader of the ship of a community owned team, he shouldn't be shying away from tough questions. Sure Friesen has....questionable articles, but I think for the most part Penton does a solid job, so because "it's the Sun" I don't think is a just reason to turn down the interview request, if indeed that was the reason. As I said, would they be shy if the team's record was 4-1? Not likely.

They all have to answer for the poor start. To run & hide is the wrong approach. Mack is a recluse. 

They all have to answer for the poor start. To run & hide is the wrong approach. Mack is a recluse. 

Nah, during the season you shouldn't see or hear Botchko in the media, and he certainly shouldn't be on the field like certain other presidents.

The exceptions are matters pertaining to revenue, parking, legal matters, advertising, etc.

During season, the team's performance is all on Burke and Mack. They should be held to the fire, and will be the first to go if the team stinks all year.

Bothcko's hour of reckoning will come in the off-season -- how his hires have panned out, the attendance, the numbers -- I only hope the board has the balls to punt him back to radioland if this ship keeps sinking.

I know that some will disagree, but I feel this is the time to let Mack go. Give the new GM an opportunity to start evaluating for next season. Not saying they should write this season off as the coaching staff should have the rest of the season to prove that they deserve to keep their jobs. I believe doing it this way would make for the smoothest/less disruptive way to transition.

Nah, during the season you shouldn't see or hear Botchko in the media, and he certainly shouldn't be on the field like certain other presidents.

The exceptions are matters pertaining to revenue, parking, legal matters, advertising, etc.

During season, the team's performance is all on Burke and Mack. They should be held to the fire, and will be the first to go if the team stinks all year.

Bothcko's hour of reckoning will come in the off-season -- how his hires have panned out, the attendance, the numbers -- I only hope the board has the balls to punt him back to radioland if this ship keeps sinking.

Hey Nate...The name is Buchko.  So some respect. 

Well at some point some one needs to man up and people need to be held accountable. If it takes a bunch of empty seats then so be it. But this is a case of the blind leading the blind from the very very top.

It starts above the GM and the president -- the whole organizational framework needs to be assessed. Too many old cronies making big decisions. 

Yes, there's really not much that Buchko can contribute here.  What do they want from him?  The team sucks, everyone knows that already.  He's not the GM, he's not coaching and he's not playing.  Really, he's nothing more than a go-between for the BOD and Joe Mack when it comes to the football aspect of the organization.  His actual job is to run the business side of things.  During the stadium opening delay, new security policy issues and parking/transit debacle, he was front and centre addressing the media and fans.  There's not much he can do about the state of the team right now until he gets word from the Board to make changes.  

I think you are talking about Jim Bell. 95% of the time the **** hit the fan it was Bell who had to face the music. However, I don't know if it's time for him to talk about the record.

Talking to the media, especially when your team is in the crapper is part of both Mack & Buchko's job.  Mack to answer for the questionable coaching hires and talent issues.  Buchko to answer the question "Are we actively looking for a new GM" (I sure hope we are).  Good coaches and GM's have jobs right now, so we may have to wait until the offseason to actually make changes, but now is the time to start the process.

Talking to the media, especially when your team is in the crapper is part of both Mack & Buchko's job.  Mack to answer for the questionable coaching hires and talent issues.  Buchko to answer the question "Are we actively looking for a new GM" (I sure hope we are).  Good coaches and GM's have jobs right now, so we may have to wait until the offseason to actually make changes, but now is the time to start the process.

Sure we should be starting the process of maybe looking for a new GM, but you don't tell the media that while the other guy is still under contract.  That's just stupid.

because he is Mack's superior. and if Mack gets canned... Garth will be the guy to pink-slip him. obvs.

So then if/when Buchko cans him he should come out and talk about it.

I agree with the other poster who said he should only be talking about business issues during the season. The onfield product should be up to Mack & Burke to defend.

Totally agree.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they put in their request about 2 hours (or less) before their deadline on Sunday.

But as Bluto pointed out, if (most likely when) Mack gets canned, it will be Butchko who fires him, and he'll also sadly be in charge of hiring a new GM as well. That in itself is reason enough to get comments from him. He does have a role when it comes to the on field product.

Correct! When Mack gets canned, he will answer, but when the Sun states they want a response in regards to a 1-4 start, what were they hoping for an answer when talking to Garth?