Buchko, Mack Afraid To Answer The Bell?

Do people think that the reporters have Buchko and Mack's personal numbers and that the guys just aren't answering? No. There's a protocol here. You have to go through the media relations people with the Bombers, who decide when and if the requested personnel will talk to the media. I'm not sure what their exact policies are, but I'd be shocked if there isn't some kind of "minimum notice" time that you need to give before getting access, and even then, trying to get access on a Sunday is unlikely. Regular office hours begin again Monday, and you will talk to people when the club says you can talk to them.

This is how professional operations work.

If Botch or Bell actually said something publically about personnel or team performance it would completely undermine both Mack and Burke.

Those type of subjects should be behind closed doors and/or in the off season. 

What the hell would fricken Radio Garth know about evaluating a QB or o-line play?

Talking to the media, especially when your team is in the crapper is part of both Mack & Buchko's job.  Mack to answer for the questionable coaching hires and talent issues.  Buchko to answer the question "Are we actively looking for a new GM" (I sure hope we are).  Good coaches and GM's have jobs right now, so we may have to wait until the offseason to actually make changes, but now is the time to start the process.

What useful purpose does asking Buchko that question do at this stage?  No respectable CEO would tell the media that we are actively looking for a new GM.  I don't care how bad the state of affairs is. 

Mack should be out there front and centre, I agree.  He's responsible for football operations.  Do they interview Bob Young about the Tigercats struggles?  Robert Wetenhall about the Alouettes struggles?  No.  The conversation starts and ends with the GM's.  Mack needs to get out there and talk to the fan base... but Buchko has nothing to contribute to a football ops discussion. 

Remember last year when Mack finally got trotted out and held a presser?  He blamed the death of Richard Harris and made his "hug-a-player" speech.   Neither idea went over very well except with his ever shrinking band of defenders.  So what's he going to say that has any bearing on anything? 

Maybe later this week he'll do a couple of one on ones with key media guys.  Or maybe they'll trot him out for availability.  Maybe he'll speak when they inevitably scapegoat Crowton. (not that he doesn't deserve it)

At some point between today and two days after the Grey Cup somebody is going to finally hold Joe Mack accountable for his record.  And when that day comes it won't be Joe Mack speaking at the press conference.   

As I said, would they be shy if the team's record was 4-1? Not likely.

well Mack for one doesn't talk to the media much outside of scheduled press conferences anyway, one of the reasons the press is so quick to jump on him. The media in this town is entirely too used to having a guy like Brendan Taman around who was more media friendly than most GMs in the league are. 

Do people think that the reporters have Buchko and Mack's personal numbers and that the guys just aren't answering? No. There's a protocol here. You have to go through the media relations people with the Bombers, who decide when and if the requested personnel will talk to the media. I'm not sure what their exact policies are, but I'd be shocked if there isn't some kind of "minimum notice" time that you need to give before getting access, and even then, trying to get access on a Sunday is unlikely. Regular office hours begin again Monday, and you will talk to people when the club says you can talk to them.

This is how professional operations work.

I think the whole Sunday is not the issue here. I'm sure the Sun would have been happy to speak to either Butchko or Mack during the week. I doubt the Sun said we want to talk to these guys, and only do it on Sunday. Of course there is protocol going through media relations and the proper avenues, but in a community owned franchise, sooner or later they will have to speak. We all know what Burke and company have to say, it's time to hear from those higher up the food chain since it's their finger prints that are all over this team at the moment.

well Mack for one doesn't talk to the media much outside of scheduled press conferences anyway, one of the reasons the press is so quick to jump on him. The media in this town is entirely too used to having a guy like Brendan Taman around who was more media friendly than most GMs in the league are. 

There also is the fact that other than Sask and Winnipeg, the media doesn't even know who the GM of their CFL team is, and in Toronto, don't even know they have a CFL football team.

I know that some will disagree, but I feel this is the time to let Mack go. Give the new GM an opportunity to start evaluating for next season. Not saying they should write this season off as the coaching staff should have the rest of the season to prove that they deserve to keep their jobs. I believe doing it this way would make for the smoothest/less disruptive way to transition.

My Knee-jerk reaction is to can Mack now.. But.. What will this accomplish?  Who are they going to be able to hire between now and the end of the season? You can't hire someone that is currently with another club...  For instance if you wanted to replace burke right now, and wanted dickenson, you can'T hire him right now because he is the oc and wouldn't be able to leave until the end of the season... soo.. unless you have someone you want to replace him with right now that is not working in the league then you have to wait.. and if they are not currently in the league, then i think its best to step back and re-evaluate how that worked out with mack.  You need to bring in new blood from other leagues, but only when the current coaching staff, management staff or players have alot of CFL experience..   Just look at Montreal.. or our offense

What useful purpose does asking Buchko that question do at this stage?  No respectable CEO would tell the media that we are actively looking for a new GM.  I don't care how bad the state of affairs is. 

Mack should be out there front and centre, I agree.  He's responsible for football operations.  Do they interview Bob Young about the Tigercats struggles?  Robert Wetenhall about the Alouettes struggles?  No.  The conversation starts and ends with the GM's.  Mack needs to get out there and talk to the fan base... but Buchko has nothing to contribute to a football ops discussion. 

It's not just a football ops question.  It's a question of which way are we going to go and it's completely valid to question the guy who is going to have to 'pull the pin' on the decision.  I'd hope that Buchko would dance around the answer, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked.  Getting his opinion on which way he is leaning is what the fans want to know.  

Young and Wetenhall are owners and I have seen Young asked questions about Hamilton's struggles.  Buchko isn't.  He is the president and CEO. 

who gives a **** what they say honestly? It'll all be stock answers that don't tell anyone anything. They'd both give  support to the people below them, they'd both give the message about working hard to improve... and you think not getting these bland generic meaningless statements actually means anything? **** the media for crying about not getting their useless sound bites. I'm more interested in what actions are taken, forget what anyone actually says. 

It's not just a football ops question.  It's a question of which way are we going to go and it's completely valid to question the guy who is going to have to 'pull the pin' on the decision.  I'd hope that Buchko would dance around the answer, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be asked.  Getting his opinion on which way he is leaning is what the fans want to know.  

Young and Wetenhall are owners and I have seen Young asked questions about Hamilton's struggles.  Buchko isn't.  He is the president and CEO. 

My mistake, when Kirk Penton wanted to ask Butchko about the 1-4 start, he really want to talk about concessions

Does anyone really care what Garth, Bell or Mack have to say? All were gonna get from them is a bunch of canned cliches ......I prefer to see actions, rather than hear words.If talent is the issue , then bring in new guys. If coaching is the issue, then bring in new coaches.If the GM is the problem,then find a new one. A few quotes in a newspaper means nothing to me.

Does anyone really care what Garth, Bell or Mack have to say? All were gonna get from them is a bunch of canned cliches ......I prefer to see actions, rather than hear words.If talent is the issue , then bring in new guys. If coaching is the issue, then bring in new coaches.If the GM is the problem,then find a new one. A few quotes in a newspaper means nothing to me.

Joe Mack should be front and center, if not for the media but to the fans that by now (most likely) flooded their twitter time line and facebook page with loads of complaints.

Butchko will only be heard when Mack is canned.  Expecting otherwise is ridiculous.  

Uh, because we don't care?

When our posts are submitted to the New York Book Review is when I'll get all type-A about how I spell our illustrious leader's name.

You're Grumpy Old Man, from the other site, aren't you?

No I'm not wetdream....I was brought up to respect other people.   

I care what Mack has to say because this is his team. He hired the HC. he brings in the players. How can you ask if anyone cares what Mack has to say??? Everytime there's a problem the guy turtles & runs. That seems to be his answer.

that's a lie and you know it, turtling and running implies that he was highly visible in the first place. but he's not and never has been the guy who is always in the media. he does his press conferences now and then but other than that he is very much a behind the scenes worker. this is the why the media hates him so, because he doesn't talk to them and he prefers them to be in the dark about what he's doing. 

that's a lie and you know it, turtling and running implies that he was highly visible in the first place. but he's not and never has been the guy who is always in the media. he does his press conferences now and then but other than that he is very much a behind the scenes worker. this is the why the media hates him so, because he doesn't talk to them and he prefers them to be in the dark about what he's doing. 

it doesn't imply that at all. and even if it did (it doesn't) that doesn't excuse Mack from ducking every bit of adversity HIS team encounters (and there has been plenty of it... and i can't recall him owning up even once).