The TV Thread

oh thank god everyone we gave the biggest crap about will be in the finale

http://tvline.com/2018/03/21/once-upon-a-time-jennifer-morrison-returns-series-finale-emma/

but for some reason it's going to be a two night event? why? what's wrong with a two hour special event where the last half hour has no commercial interruption (hey when ABC aired that Anne Frank tv movie the final hour had no commercial interruption at all)

Edited by iHeart

On 3/23/2018 at 5:45 PM, Brandon said:

In general im not a fan of re boots, re treads etc. And i think TKK would have been better if it was a one off movie instead of a series. But some thing about this spin off keeps pulling me back. Ill have to check out atleast the first episode. 

On 3/23/2018 at 6:43 PM, bigg jay said:

That's what Kodi is for.

Im sure you could use a VPN and sign into YT as a yank to get red. But yeah streaming boxes, smart tvs, and streaming sites are soo far out in front its un real. Its been some thing like 7 years since i cut cable and even at the same price as before I wouldnt go back. I watch soo much less junk (especially in the form of commercials) and with out scheduling constraints I could never go back. 

Watched the Roseanne revival and enjoyed it.  The Trump stuff was a bit much but it made for a fine conclusion and I suspect similar arguments played out in many households.  My main concern with a show like this is whether it would remain true to its premise or become a comedy about itself.  It made fun of itself a bit but still had some solid observations about middle class families.

It hints at some interesting developments - Darlene and David apparently not together, Darlene losing her job was a major financial blow (ie. as with the original, there is lack of large savings) and is there no support from David?  

The characters are all true to their original portrayal.  And after skimming through much of the original series recently and now this, you get the sense that the emotional through-line is the Darlene character and in many ways Sara Gilbert is the strength of the show.  She's still sarcastic and rough and very much like the Roseanne character (this was a theme during the original series where Darlene was just like Roseanne).  In the original, it was Darlene's "weirdness" as far as being creative and alternative and wearing all black and tom-boyish that was a sign of the times.  Now its Darlene's son Mark who likes to wear girls clothes.  I thought that aspect was sweet and funny.

Becky is much the same as well.  Except her husband died and she works at a restaurant (much like Rosanne did) and worries about money which was always a thing with her when she left home.  The replacement Becky is also on the show and they do poke a little fun at it.

Aunt Jackie steals every scene she's in.  She's hilarious but in the later seasons I thought she was too goofy and she has a touch of that here but its more muted and more of an "eccentric old spinster aunt" and it works because its funny and she's great.

Interestingly, a running gag occasionally mentioned in the original was the weirdness of DJ.  Many jokes made about him one day being a serial killer.  He seems to be the most well adjusted and "average" success of all the kids.  He's married, served in the military and is now home while his wife is still serving over-seas.  He has a young daughter.  Another fun thing, there was an episode years ago where DJ wouldnt kiss a girl in a a school play because she was black.  He ended up marrying that girl. 

All in all, a worthy revival in my opinion.

A few weeks old but season 2 of SIX will premiere on May 28: http://deadline.com/2018/03/six-history-navy-seal-drama-series-season-2-premiere-date-1202320048/

History has slotted Memorial Day, Monday, May 28 at 10 PM for a special premiere of its hit Navy SEAL drama series Six. It also will air a second new episode during its regular timeslot on Wednesday May 30 at 10 PM.

Apple is investing $1 billion on original content for its streaming service for 2019.

Well, Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston will be staring in a series about a morning TV show. Damien Chazelle, director of La La Land, is writing and directing every episode of a series that he created. Apple is also rebooting Steven Spielberg’s Amazing Stories and has hired Ronald D. Moore (Battlestar Galactica, Outlander) to create a new space drama.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg, with Apple also working on an animated series from the creator of Bob’s Burgers and a comedy starring Kristen Wiig, among even more!

Im assuming this streams via iTunes?  Does Apple have a separate streaming service?  I've never actually watched anything over iTunes though I have been tempted to buy The West Wing.

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Apple is investing $1 billion on original content for its streaming service for 2019.

Im assuming this streams via iTunes?  Does Apple have a separate streaming service?  I've never actually watched anything over iTunes though I have been tempted to buy The West Wing.

Rumours are it will be through Apple Music subscription. 

Ive said it before, I think most households will pay a monthly fee for one streaming service.  Netflix has a huge advantage being first to market. 

Their original content better be very compelling to convince people to pay another monthly fee. 

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

Rumours are it will be through Apple Music subscription. 

Ive said it before, I think most households will pay a monthly fee for one streaming service.  Netflix has a huge advantage being first to market. 

Their original content better be very compelling to convince people to pay another monthly fee. 

In time, most households will carry multiple streaming services.  The hurt comes in that transition period (and its the chief complaint I hear from people about it) where you still pay $100+ for cable AND have Netflix AND maybe want to add Amazon or HULU or this.

If 5-10 years from now, people get access to the same amount of content for the same price they pay for cable but its through streaming, its generally a net positive.  The big conglomerates will find a way to bundle multiple services (their premium content, network shows, cable channels) into one price.  Maybe that will be something cable providers come up with.  So, for example, you still have SHAW but you pay one price for multiple streaming services.

I think in terms of early adopters and people who have chosen to cable cut, they might be more likely to add more services because of an acceptance of the technology.

Disney is going to be force.  Hard to imagine Netflix being over-taken, but Disney will a competitor.  They have too much "free" archival content to leverage and new content based on their valuable IP to not be.  Plus, they own ABC.  If Disney had a package that included one price for all their packages (I think they want two new streaming services plus a sports streaming service plus they own HULU plus they own ABC) that allowed you to also get their network shows without delay etc, its an intriguing buy.

Viacom (Paramount) moving towards merging with CBS is almost a necessity at this stage and even then, they'll be small compared to other conglomerates.  But they need to do it to leverage both sides to compete.

Personally, I love tech but even I resisted Netflix.  I didnt get it.  Why would I pay to watch old movies?  And not even get to keep the physical copy?  And I assumed it must suck and be buggy.  When I finally tried it (I cant remember why I did...House of Cards, maybe?) I was hooked.  Just added Amazon Prime recently.  I had bought a new TV that included dedicated buttons for both those services.  Its a small thing but it does lend itself more to usage.  Its as simple as pressing the power switch.  Its as ubiquitous as pressing the Guide button and scrolling through cable channels.  Whereas in the past, if I was bored, the idea of getting up to find my Xbox controller, turning it on, waiting for it to load, selecting the netflix app, changing my TV input etc...maybe I didnt bother.

I like to sit in front of my big TV with surround sound and watch.  But younger people are more inclined to watch on any device they have.  When you want, how you want and making it easy is the key.   I think its going to be massive and people are going to embrace it.

I'm curious to see how they fight the battle against people streaming content for free...

Over the last two years I'd say the quality of sports events live streams and the streams off of Kodi add ons have improved dramatically.     I remember watching pixelated and the old buffering screen when watching UFC events and these days I can find multiple sources of a clean 720p stream of the fights where everything is razor sharp  and running smooth. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I'm curious to see how they fight the battle against people streaming content for free...

Over the last two years I'd say the quality of sports events live streams and the streams off of Kodi add ons have improved dramatically.     I remember watching pixelated and the old buffering screen when watching UFC events and these days I can find multiple sources of a clean 720p stream of the fights where everything is razor sharp  and running smooth. 

I certainly dont know anything about the ins and outs of illegal streams.  But I do recall UFC (I think it was) suing hosts of illegal streams.  They were able to determine a single user (or multiple single users) were patient zero for an enormous amount of illegal views and went after those people.   You can bet the big conglomerates will have governments on board to come down hard on illegal streamers.

On the other hand, how prevalent is it?   I engaged in a debate with a guy over sharing Netflix.  He was a big proponent of multiple people sharing one account and bragged that he watched it for free.  Netflix encourages household accounts (they believe it creates multiple users down the line when kids move out) and dont crack down on multiple house holds using one account.  I read something where they said they didnt feel it was a big issue and most people just get their own account.

WWE initially had their network restricted to one device to avoid sharing and I believe they have it set to three devices now.

So...in short, I dont know.  But streaming is going to be the way everyone consumes content soon enough.

yeah but to be fair, Sheldon was a spin-off this is a continuation.

you know with the 20th anniversary of the premiere of Dawson's Creek happening, I kind of wonder, what if they did a continuation of it, or rather instead of that they do kind of a what if situation, what if Joey chose Dawson instead of Pacey (I never watched the show, I was more of a BH 90210 person, I wish tvtropolis aired all 296 episodes instead of just stopping at the 8th season)