The TV Thread

3 hours ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Yes, I do.  Or, rather my workplace does.  But I have the greenlight to use at home :)   I'm sure you know already, but if you buy a lot online and could utilize the shipping part of it, then Prime is a no brainer.  Amazon Music comes with as well, though I haven't tried it too much yet. 

The Man in the High Castle I started then forgot about, oh probably 2 yrs ago already.  The premise sounded too interesting to pass up.  Plus it's a Phillip K **** adaptation, which of course is awesome.   (sidenote:  check out the movie A Scanner Darkly.)   Honestly can't remember enough of the show to give it a good review, from my poor memory, it was very interesting & different just s1 was a little slow. 

American Gods I just started - 4 ep? in I think.  It's like Westworld meets Sin City.  I've watched as little Marvel/DC movies as anyone on earth, to me it feels comic-booky, but in a good way.  It's a trip, that's for sure.  (One minute we're set in today, the next we're in some heaven-like dreamworld talking about the 5 godsA series to avoid if you're overly bothered by crude language and nudity. 

The Night Manager is FOR SURE worth a watch.... pretty sure I did a crappy writeup for it a few pages back?  

Those are the 3 big "original" series to Amazon that jump out.  Sneaky Pete has good reviews thus far.  Mr.Robot, House, Preacher, 30 Rock are nice add ons for me personally.  

In fact those are two of my favourite things. 

38 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

That confession should be thrown out.  If they cant make a case against him without it, then they should never have been allowed to being him to trial.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎23 at 11:09 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The further I got into that documentary, the more I felt like I was being manipulated by it.

Based on the evidence we saw, it was hard to see how the two were guilty; however, I feel like things were being left out. The prosecution was dodgy but I'm not sure they were incorrect.

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

The further I got into that documentary, the more I felt like I was being manipulated by it.

Based on the evidence we saw, it was hard to see how the two were guilty; however, I feel like things were being left out. The prosecution was dodgy but I'm not sure they were incorrect.

Definitely, the film makers had an opinion.  And you have to take that into consideration.  I've read some of the "response" to it by the DA and I still feel like it was a rush to judgement.  Actually I DO feel like the police were up to no good.  I generally have a hard time believing cops would plant evidence to an extent that they'd plant the car.  But there is an eye witness to a car being driven down an unused back road to the property as well as police cars being there when they said they werent. 

The people who found the car, well it could be a coincidence that they found the car almost immediately in a junkyard full of cars but you have to take into account the connection of the woman who found the car (she was a PI who had worked with the police and she downplayed that, suspiciously).

I cant recall the details but the one cop on the stand was acting incredibly guilty and they played his dispatch call where he asked about the License plate number.  The theory being he found the car abandoned and then planted it on the property. 

Its entirely possible Avery DID kill the girl AND the cops planted evidence because they really wanted to get him.  The police theory of the girl being raped and slaughtered in Avery's bedroom is ridiculous.  He'd have to be the greatest crime scene cleaner in history.  Same with her being shot in the garage.  They'd have had to scrub the garage AND put dust and dirt back.  She wasnt killed on their property.  Cops wanted that to be the narrative because they wanted Avery to have done it (whether to get out from under the lawsuit or because they just hated him or because they really thought he did it).

Dassey had no idea what happened.  He repeatedly gets details wrong unless being lead by the police. 

My position when debating it is, I dont know if Avery killed her but from what I saw, its hard to believe he was charged let alone convicted.   Dassey's statement should have been thrown out.  Let them make a case without it.  But thats the problem - hey had ZERO case without his confession.

I had a theory that it was Dassey's step-father.  He went hunting or something around the time the victim left and he was gone all night with an alibi (hunting).  There was also something about the timing with the school bus (I cant recall) that pitted Dassey's statement against his step-dads which meant one of them was lying.  I dont believe Dassey lied.  There's only one reason for his dad to lie.

Manipulated? Sure. There's that one scene where they discover there was a hole in the blood sample. Of course there was a hole, how do u think the blood got in there?

Kid should have had a lawyer. Never talk to cops without one. Deny and lawyer up. Throw in his disability, the cops feeding him evidence and he's in the clear.

To me the question of whether they held stuff back concerns one scene and that's the crime scene. How could that bedroom be without any blood evidence?

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Manipulated? Sure. There's that one scene where they discover there was a hole in the blood sample. Of course there was a hole, how do u think the blood got in there?

Kid should have had a lawyer. Never talk to cops without one. Deny and lawyer up. Throw in his disability, the cops feeding him evidence and he's in the clear.

To me the question of whether they held stuff back concerns one scene and that's the crime scene. How could that bedroom be without any blood evidence?

I always joke to my gf if I had kids their first word would be "lawyer" because you can talk yourself into trouble when you're completely innocent.  Cops are trained to screw with you.  "Why do you need a lawyer if you're innocent".  Well, any time a cop is questioned, the first thing they do is ask for a lawyer and union rep.  So...  And even if you're not innocent, you need to be protected.

Questioning Dassey was like questioning an 8 year old.

23 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I always joke to my gf if I had kids their first word would be "lawyer" because you can talk yourself into trouble when you're completely innocent.  Cops are trained to screw with you.  "Why do you need a lawyer if you're innocent".  Well, any time a cop is questioned, the first thing they do is ask for a lawyer and union rep.  So...  And even if you're not innocent, you need to be protected.

Questioning Dassey was like questioning an 8 year old.

Exactly. He was a child. I can't believe they would allow anything he said to be admissible. Crazy.

So I signed up for Amazon Prime and so far, I love it.  We've been binging The Man in the High Castle and its really really good.  The quality of the stream is tremendous as well (HDR).  There better be a satisfying resolution to the series when its done!!

Next up will be American Gods.

We watched an episode of Lore also.  The gf introduced me to the pod cast last year and its great.  The TV shows are an easy watch.

Watched a documentary on MH370 and I must admit to binging Roseanne as well (childhood nostalgia).  I might not have appreciated the child actors back then but they were good, especially Sara Gilbert who steals every scene.

it seems that there is a rule at ABC if a show is in danger of cancellation (I guess they wanted to avoid another Nashville fiasco....but then I remembered Castle ended the same year that ABC pulled the plug on that show and they already had two endings prepared....and Nashville had an alternate ending at the airport ready) anyway my point is I'm not surprised with Agents of Shield because it has been struggling for a long time

http://tvline.com/2018/02/27/agents-of-shield-season-5-finale-series-finale-cancelled-or-renewed/

26 minutes ago, iHeart said:

it seems that there is a rule at ABC if a show is in danger of cancellation (I guess they wanted to avoid another Nashville fiasco....but then I remembered Castle ended the same year that ABC pulled the plug on that show and they already had two endings prepared....and Nashville had an alternate ending at the airport ready) anyway my point is I'm not surprised with Agents of Shield because it has been struggling for a long time

http://tvline.com/2018/02/27/agents-of-shield-season-5-finale-series-finale-cancelled-or-renewed/

I suspect it will get renewed again and will get axed before Avengers 4.

Interesting concept

NBC has given a pilot order to Manifest, a high-concept mystery thriller that explores such a hypothetical scenario. The drama, one of the first sales of the 2017 pitch season with a put pilot commitment, hails from The Mysteries of Laura creator Jeff Rake and producer Robert Zemeckis. Warner Bros. TV, where both Zemeckis and Rake have overall deals, is the studio.

In Manifest, written/executive produced by Rake, a plane disappears from radar and returns five years later after being untraceable and presumed lost at sea. No time has passed for those on the plane, but for their loved ones at home, a long five years have gone by. The series follows their personal lives as well as the larger mystery and purpose that is their destiny.

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Kinda has a Lost vibe to it (I've never seen that show...) but I think I'd still watch this....

Its sort of based on MH370 with the twist of "what if it suddenly returned, unharmed"?

Lost had one of the greatest pilot episodes ever.  And was pretty good for a few seasons.  I also liked the finale (many didnt).  But its not worth dedicating your time to because the writers admit they created mysteries and plot developments without any clear through as to how to resolve them or what they would mean... so if the writers cant be bothered to give a ****, I suggest you dont either.