The TV Thread

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Isn’t that the show with kids who run an obstacle course at the end through all manner of sauce, and slime etc?

if so it aired here. Late afternoon (like after school) and was very popular for a time. 

That sounds like Uh Oh! with Wink Yahoo.

Image result for uh oh wink yahoo

30 minutes ago, Atomic said:

That sounds like Uh Oh! with Wink Yahoo.

Image result for uh oh wink yahoo

but I don't think Double Dare had a wheel...or a segment where they take the show on the road like Uh Oh did and I happened to have been a spectator in a segment from 1999 (I can be seen wearing a purple jacket during Erin's station description)

this is what Double Dare was like

Edited by iHeart

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

yeah I guess you could say it was kind of a very distant cousin of Uh Oh there were also questions involved (except Uh Oh was spun off from It's Alive)

anyway the show ended when I was very young so I wouldn't have nostalgia for it.  I'm old enough to remember Uh Oh, Video and Arcade top ten, Clips (aired on YTV) Secrets of the Cryptkeepers Haunted House (which was basically Hidden Temple with a haunted house...at least that is how I see it and I haven't seen Hidden Temple), Jep! Wheel 2000! (kids versions of Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune) and both Carmen Sandiego game shows

what network did it air on in Canada because we didn't get Nick til 09

Maybe YTV?  We got You Cant Do That on Television” as well. 

I remember watching Double Dare whenever they had the free american stations on the weekends back in the day.     I remember kids diving into over sized cereal bowls and picking flags out of a giant nose with boogers.    I also remember some tv show called Fun House where they had to run around a massive house looking for items. 

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

I remember watching Double Dare whenever they had the free american stations on the weekends back in the day.     I remember kids diving into over sized cereal bowls and picking flags out of a giant nose with boogers.    I also remember some tv show called Fun House where they had to run around a massive house looking for items. 

oh yeah I forgot they used to do those..... in fact I think I recall that one point one of those networks aired this commercia

so the next time I went to the states I made sure I bought a box of the white icing ones for some reason

Edited by iHeart

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Not empire but I’m curious about handmaids tale. Anyone watch it? Should I?

well I don't watch it but I keep track of it through recaps (like I did with the first season of once) and even though it has rave reviews some of the recap writers are a bit overwhelmed by the drama

I've finished Season 1 of Westworld. 

I won't use the spoiler tool because, you're right, that's ridiculous after a couple of years. 

Bernard is a host? I didn't know until he said, "what door?" to Elsie before going to the basement. 

I liked the ending but wonder where they can possibly go next season. 

So, who's programming Maeve? 

I loved the William arc. What a great way to tell his story and tie Delores in. 

I need to watch again to piece everything together. My viewing was too fragmented to put it together in my head. 

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

I've finished Season 1 of Westworld. 

I won't use the spoiler tool because, you're right, that's ridiculous after a couple of years. 

Bernard is a host? I didn't know until he said, "what door?" to Elsie before going to the basement. 

I liked the ending but wonder where they can possibly go next season. 

So, who's programming Maeve? 

I loved the William arc. What a great way to tell his story and tie Delores in. 

I need to watch again to piece everything together. My viewing was too fragmented to put it together in my head. 

Whew! 

That Bernard twist was unbelievable! As soon as he said what door I wasn’t immediately sure but I was like “wait. What?  Is he...no...”

and then when he looked at the sketches of himself and said “it doesn’t look like anything to me”. Boom. Amazing. 

So much happening. Is Maeve following her script or does she have free will?  Was she meant to stay on the train and leave or was coming back for her daughter part of the script?  

I felt the same way about where can they go in season 2. And it’s very different. After the first episode I wasn’t sure if it had the same magic. But after the second I was into it again. It’s very different but doesn’t cheat the viewer. It picks up after the season 1 finale. 

William’s arc is interesting. He was both the white hat good guy (in his youth) and the black hat...maybe not bad but definitely not good, in “present”. What crated that change? 

We begin to find out in season 2. 

One thing I really like, by episode 2 of the first season some people had guessed the twists. But the show runners didn’t change anything because of that. They admitted that people had guessed correctly. But they had their arc and they stuck to it. Unlike, for example, Lost (also produced by JJ Abrams) which never knew where it was going. 

16 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Billions is back for season 3, better than ever!  Also The Terror is a well done series on the lost Franklin Expedition produced by Ridley Scott, highly recommended.  The story is intriguing enough and very well played, however they decided to throw a super-natural element into the story for some bizarre reason.

Im really enjoying The Terror as well although as my gf says "I cant tell WTF they're saying half the time" lol 

I agree, the series probably works without the supernatural element.  But I can see the pitch being rejected without it.  Otherwise, we're just showing a crew slowly starve and have a sad ending.  The same is true with the beast but it creates more drama I guess.

11 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im really enjoying The Terror as well although as my gf says "I cant tell WTF they're saying half the time" lol 

I agree, the series probably works without the supernatural element.  But I can see the pitch being rejected without it.  Otherwise, we're just showing a crew slowly starve and have a sad ending.  The same is true with the beast but it creates more drama I guess.

I was gobsmacked with the timing and the method they used to dispose of Franklin, I figured it was just a Tony Soprano dream sequence.....fook no.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎07 at 3:54 PM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

...The Terror is a well done series on the lost Franklin Expedition produced by Ridley Scott, highly recommended.  The story is intriguing enough and very well played, however they decided to throw a super-natural element into the story for some bizarre reason.

It's based on a book of the same name written by Dan Simmons. The series, as with the novel, is a fictionalized account of what happened to the Franklin Expedition in its attempt to traverse the Northwest Passage. The supernatural element is merely one part of what these men have to endure in their attempts to survive the Arctic and its perils.

And really, all one need do is replace the Tuunbaq with an actual polar bear to eliminate the supernatural aspect.

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

It's based on a book of the same name written by Dan Simmons. The series, as with the novel, is a fictionalized account of what happened to the Franklin Expedition in its attempt to traverse the Northwest Passage. The supernatural element is merely one part of what these men have to endure in their attempts to survive the Arctic and its perils.

And really, all one need do is replace the Tuunbaq with an actual polar bear to eliminate the supernatural aspect.

I actually thought it was just a really large polar bear at first.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

I actually thought it was just a really large polar bear at first.

I thought the same until actually seeing its horrifying visage. In actuality, Simmons created this demon based on Inuit mythology, which is heavily rooted in shamanism and reverence of animals. So, the Tuunbaq's appearance fits those parameters.

Monday's episode really set the tone for how frightening a creature it is, IMO. It seems pretty much invincible.