The TV Thread

http://www.tmz.com/2018/03/29/last-man-standing-tim-allen-reboot-fox-rosanne/

the article basically discusses FOX wanting to reboot Last Man Standing

Married with Children is a possibility but it can't happen as long as Modern Family is on the air

which leaves that 70s show and Malcolm in the Middle...uh but there's just one problem, at least one cast member is busy, another just had his career ruined because he was on the wrong end of the #MeToo movement. well At least no one in Malcolm is busy right? but would they even be able to afford Bryan Cranston now?

oh yeah here's who's hosting SNL next

Edited by iHeart

40 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't know how they could reboot Married With Children without so many people whining and complaining about Al and his behaviour... 

I wonder if Seinfeld will ever be rebooted..... 

I think a Friends reunion is more likely than a Seinfeld reunion

45 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I don't know how they could reboot Married With Children without so many people whining and complaining about Al and his behaviour... 

I wonder if Seinfeld will ever be rebooted..... 

My initial reaction is "OHHH god, NO!"

Thennnn I remember how awesome the crew was on Curb, and I think they could pull it off.

I don't know....leave well enough alone.  The best show in TV history doesn't need to come back. 

Archie Bunker.... All in the Family.

If Roseanne appeals to Trump fans, (I heard on the radio that's who liked it for what that's worth)

think what Archie would do.

The ratings success of Roseanne Barr's return to her self-titled TV sitcom prompted President Donald Trump to give her a congratulatory phone call.

Mr Trump confirmed at a speech in Ohio that the call had taken place.

I know it's not the US politics thread, but...... cretin.

Edited by Mark F

19 hours ago, Mark F said:

Archie Bunker.... All in the Family.

If Roseanne appeals to Trump fans, (I heard on the radio that's who liked it for what that's worth)

think what Archie would do.

I know it's not the US politics thread, but...... cretin.

He was so happy but it’s clear he didn’t watch. Because while Roseanne voted for trump, Jackie didn’t. And it’s what causes their rift. So the Jackie character was critical of trump. It wasn’t a 30 minute campaign ad for trump. 

But he fits. He doesn’t watch. He just repeats what he hears. 

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:03 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

Yes. Excellent series so far. I love these period shows based on true stories and done this well. Great cast. 

have it on the PVR - will watch today.  Looking forward to it and like the cast, though Mrs. KBF won't watch it because there's some guy in it from her Outlander show that she hates.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, Jimmy Pop said:

My initial reaction is "OHHH god, NO!"

Thennnn I remember how awesome the crew was on Curb, and I think they could pull it off.

I don't know....leave well enough alone.  The best show in TV history doesn't need to come back. 

I've seen Seinfeld perform live twice now (he was just in Penticton late last year, yeah, I know, why Penticton of all places) and he always gives the same answer when asked if Seinfeld will ever come back - "I'm too old, I'm too tired, and I'm too rich".

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 12:34 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

He was so happy but it’s clear he didn’t watch. Because while Roseanne voted for trump, Jackie didn’t. And it’s what causes their rift. So the Jackie character was critical of trump. It wasn’t a 30 minute campaign ad for trump. 

I thought it was great that a TV show finally had the balls to talk about it.  These rifts are going on all across the US right now, and a lot of families are still broken up and hurting from the election result.  I thought the show handled it well in terms of both sides (Trump and Hillary) getting a chance to give and receive commentary on the weaknesses of their positions and political views (and yes, both sides had a lot of weaknesses).   Few shows do this nowadays (Last Man Standing comes to mind) for fear of offending anybody and so we end up with just hours of mindless banal sitcom dreck.

The second episode was also pretty brave as they dealt with a boy (Roseanne's grandson) who is questioning his gender and experimenting with wearing dresses to school.  Dan gives his grandson a knife to take to school as he knows his grandson is going to get bullied, and sure enough, he gets bullied, but he deals with it by giving his knife to the bully to make him go away.  It dealt with a lot of issues including bullying, gender, and how traditional families have to adjust to the new social issues of today, and I thought they did a good job with a difficult subject.   They also managed to throw in the "woman's right to choose" issue with their daughter Becky wanting to sell off one of her eggs to a child-less woman (Sarah Chalke, who played Becky off and on in the original run), and how Dan was having a hard time with that.   Very brave TV.  Wish more shows were like this one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/03/30/why-roseanne-reinforces-a-myth-about-trump-supporters/?utm_term=.a004620b62d4

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I thought it was great that a TV show finally had the balls to talk about it.  These rifts are going on all across the US right now, and a lot of families are still broken up and hurting from the election result.  I thought the show handled it well in terms of both sides (Trump and Hillary) getting a chance to give and receive commentary on the weaknesses of their positions and political views (and yes, both sides had a lot of weaknesses).   Few shows do this nowadays (Last Man Standing comes to mind) for fear of offending anybody and so we end up with just hours of mindless banal sitcom dreck.

The second episode was also pretty brave as they dealt with a boy (Roseanne's grandson) who is questioning his gender and experimenting with wearing dresses to school.  Dan gives his grandson a knife to take to school as he knows his grandson is going to get bullied, and sure enough, he gets bullied, but he deals with it by giving his knife to the bully to make him go away.  It dealt with a lot of issues including bullying, gender, and how traditional families have to adjust to the new social issues of today, and I thought they did a good job with a difficult subject.   They also managed to throw in the "woman's right to choose" issue with their daughter Becky wanting to sell off one of her eggs to a child-less woman (Sarah Chalke, who played Becky off and on in the original run), and how Dan was having a hard time with that.   Very brave TV.  Wish more shows were like this one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/03/30/why-roseanne-reinforces-a-myth-about-trump-supporters/?utm_term=.a004620b62d4

I don’t think the grandson mark was questioning his gender. He said he was a boy but felt comfortable wearing girls clothes. 

But roseanne the actor is a nut. But I felt the show has always been pretty liberal and that doesn’t seem to have changed.  Roseanne also clearly doesn’t do any research into the crazy things she puts forth in support of trump so I’d suspect she supports him because of her tendency to do the difficult rebellious thing. 

Interestingly the behind the scenes show (was it 20/20?) about the revival, Roseanne said when Sara Gilbert approached her she (Roseanne) was hesitant saying she was too old to fight with the network and too old to have conflict in her life.   And Sara said she’s deal with the network and take care of everything. And it was basically days later that the revival was announced. 

I didn’t realize Sara Gilbert had that much stroke. But good for her. 

I think some of the left peeps should take a breath before attacking the show because of the politics of the star. The show has always been progressive in dealing with important issues.  

The way Roseanne and Dan handled mark was a great resolution. And they aren’t afraid to laugh at issues either. They kept joking that Darlene was gay even as she protested (the actress is gay). Funny stuff. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The way Roseanne and Dan handled mark was a great resolution. And they aren’t afraid to laugh at issues either. They kept joking that Darlene was gay even as she protested (the actress is gay). Funny stuff. 

agreed.

As to her support of Trump, she laid it out on Jimmy Kimmel pretty well, I thought.

well I guess Jesus Christ Superstar did good

http://tvline.com/2018/04/02/jesus-christ-superstar-live-ratings-nbc-musical-concert/

it would be ranked somewhere around the middle

Sound of Music (Dec. 2013): 18.6 mil/4.6
Grease (Jan. 2016): 12.2 mil/4.3
The Wiz (Dec. 2015): 11.5 mil/3.4
Peter Pan (Dec. 2014): 9.2 mil/2.4
Hairspray (Dec. 2016): 9.1 mil/2.3
The Passion (March 2016): 6.6 mil/1.6
A Christmas Story (Dec. 2017): 4.5 mil/1.5

if only Avenue Q didn't have mature subject matter, I would love to see that for a Live tv even

Edited by iHeart

17 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

agreed.

As to her support of Trump, she laid it out on Jimmy Kimmel pretty well, I thought.

I didnt see it.  I just saw some tweets where she talked about Trump saving children from bondage and stuff.  Its weird because she ran for leader of the Green party and she holds pretty progressive views on many things so her love of Trump is a bit odd and I wonder if its more to do with the celebrity aspect.  Keep in mind, Trump was considered a democrat before.

Two of Roseanne's siblings are gay which explains her liberal view there (which is great), not to mention Sara Gilbert.  She's had some serious mental health struggles in her life though so Im more of a "meh" on her Trump support.  I think its a media thing blowing up the revival as some sort of commentary on Trump.  I didnt get that at all.  The X-Files had references to the Trump government and its seeming war on the FBI too.  No media frenzy.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I didnt see it.  I just saw some tweets where she talked about Trump saving children from bondage and stuff.  Its weird because she ran for leader of the Green party and she holds pretty progressive views on many things so her love of Trump is a bit odd and I wonder if its more to do with the celebrity aspect.  Keep in mind, Trump was considered a democrat before.

Two of Roseanne's siblings are gay which explains her liberal view there (which is great), not to mention Sara Gilbert.  She's had some serious mental health struggles in her life though so Im more of a "meh" on her Trump support.  I think its a media thing blowing up the revival as some sort of commentary on Trump.  I didnt get that at all.  The X-Files had references to the Trump government and its seeming war on the FBI too.  No media frenzy.

oh good I'm not the only one who remembers...maybe that Jill Stein comment was a swipe at the green party.....yes I tuned in and out but that doesn't mean I'm going to keep tuning in, there's a part of me hoping that ratings will probably drop next airing (and it likely will) because usually the first episode are curiosity ratings (I still remember when Once premiered it had pretty strong ratings, like 13 mil)

and considering how Jackie was talking about how Mark (Becky's Mark) died, it made it sound like it happend relatively recently and there went my theory that he died at Darlene's wedding instead of Dan

and that's the only time I will tune in this season....or at all.

18 minutes ago, iHeart said:

oh good I'm not the only one who remembers...maybe that Jill Stein comment was a swipe at the green party.....yes I tuned in and out but that doesn't mean I'm going to keep tuning in, there's a part of me hoping that ratings will probably drop next airing (and it likely will) because usually the first episode are curiosity ratings (I still remember when Once premiered it had pretty strong ratings, like 13 mil)

and considering how Jackie was talking about how Mark (Becky's Mark) died, it made it sound like it happend relatively recently and there went my theory that he died at Darlene's wedding instead of Dan

I wasn't a fan of the original show but I will keep watching.  Looking forward to more back and forths between Roseanne and Jackie about Trump and Hillary for sure.   I want to see what other social issues they deal with too.  I assume gun control is going to be high on the list given the whole Parkland thing going on right now.   They hinted at it when Dan was looking for his gun in the last episode, and finally found it in the freezer in an ice cream container.

18 minutes ago, iHeart said:

I think Mark likely died before Darlene's son was born (but after the original series because he was around when Harris was born), hence why she named him Mark (Darlene's husband David was Mark's brother). 

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think Mark likely died before Darlene's son was born (but after the original series because he was around when Harris was born), hence why she named him Mark (Darlene's husband David was Mark's brother). 

So Becky's husband died.  What happened to Darlene's husband?  And did DJ adopt his daughter or is his wife African American?

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

I wasn't a fan of the original show but I will keep watching.  Looking forward to more back and forths between Roseanne and Jackie about Trump and Hillary for sure.   I want to see what other social issues they deal with too.  I assume gun control is going to be high on the list given the whole Parkland thing going on right now.   They hinted at it when Dan was looking for his gun in the last episode, and finally found it in the freezer in an ice cream container.

Thats a good point and shows its not a show being dictated by Roseanne's personal feelings because the gag with the gun showed them to be irresponsible gun owners lol

They briefly mentioned that Darlene was a single mom but we know David is going to appear so there will be some story about that.  It would be nice if they end up back together but I assume the only reason they are apart is due to Johnny Galecki's schedule (and his cost though he and Gilbert are very close friends).

They might explore Harris and whether she'd repeat the cycle of Conner women getting married/pregnant young and putting their dreams on hold for their family.  I thought that was a powerful storyline in the original with Dan & Roseanne being more angry with Darlene getting pregnant than they were with Becky eloping because Darlene was the one that "wasnt supposed to end up like us". 

Surely they will explore racism with DJ having a black wife and daughter.  Could definitely explore issues with the Military with DJ being a veteran and his wife being over-seas (might she be KIA)?

Nancy is supposed to return as well, same with Roseanne's mother.  Crystal too (who was married to Dan's father).

So far, its the perfect revival because so much time has passed but given the realism from before, they have the opportunity to really capture fans attention again, as long as they stay true to their realism and premise and avoid being a parody of themselves (like the final season was).

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So Becky's husband died.  What happened to Darlene's husband?  And did DJ adopt his daughter or is his wife African American?

The actor who portrayed Mark (Becky's husband/David's brother) died in real life of a drug overdose so they wrote him as having died in the show.  No word as to how.

Darlene's husband is David portrayed by Johnny Galecki.  It was very briefly mentioned by Darlene that she wanted to prove she could raise her kids "alone" implying they are separated (and seemingly David isnt helping support them).  Portrayed this way because of Galecki's schedule.  It was believed he would not be available at all but rumor has it Sara Gilbert asked him to reprise the role and he made time for her.  One episode I believe.

It hasnt been said but the story is DJ's wife is a girl from the original series that DJ refused to kiss in a school play because she was black (Roseanne was irate saying we might be white trash but we're not racist white trash).  If true, DJ married his grade 3 sweetheart.  No word if the daughter is their natural daughter or adopted.