Madani: CFLPA Recommends Strike Vote To Members

Noeller

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=453761

NAYLOR: WHY PRO FOOTBALL WORK STOPPAGES ALMOST NEVER OCCUR

Dave Naylor

6/2/2014 9:44:18 AM

Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size

Text Size

There's a reason there hasn't been a meaningful work stoppage in pro football for almost 27 years, and it's not because this is a sport where the players have nothing to complain about.

The very nature of the sport makes it difficult - some might say near impossible - to keep players united during a work stoppage because work stoppages are always about making sacrifices in the short term to benefit in the long. And for a great number of players in a sport with short careers and non-guaranteed contracts, there is no long term.

But perhaps even more difficult to overcome is the fact that in football a small number of players on every team are paid far more than the rest, especially the large number of players on every team who will earn at or near the league minimum. And it is those star players, who already enjoy the biggest paydays and the most job security, who'll gain the most as the result of a successful work action.

Look at any roster in either the CFL or NFL and you'll probably be surprised to earn how many players are earning at or near the league minimum, which this NFL season will ranges between $420,000 and $645,00 for players from zero to three years of service in the league. In the CFL, that figure will go from $45,000 to $50,000 for this season based on what the parties have agreed to so far during current CBA negotiations.

Since payrolls for CFL teams aren't public, let's use an NFL team as an example to illustrate the payroll dynamics in pro football, which are similar in both leagues, albeit on a different scale.

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers enters this season with an average salary of $22 million, nearly double that of anyone else on the team. Among Packers currently under contract, there are only four with an average salary of more than $7 million season, and another four at more than $4 million. There are eight players listed at between $2 million and $4 million, and 67 whose average salary is less than $1 million, 49 of whom are due to earn less than $600,000.

The numbers in the CFL are obviously smaller but the manner in which they compare to one another is similar, with star quarterbacks earning roughly $500,000 per season while a large portion of each roster earns less than $60,000 per season.

The truth is that whatever gains are made for the players in either league usually mean the rich will get richer.

For example, the NFL will operate this season with a salary cap of $133 million dollars. But if that figure was suddenly increased to $200 million, the primary beneficiaries would be the Peyton Mannings, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady's and Richard Shermans of the world, while the leagues rank and file would essentially remain un affected.

Same thing in the Canadian Football League - where if the CFLPA were to get its wish and have the salary cap jump immediately from $4.4 million to $5.8, the benefits would go to players such Ricky Ray, Darian Durant and the rest of the players whom fans pay to see. Of course there's another dynamic in the CFL game that doesn't exist south of the border. And that's that starting Canadian players - the ones mandated by the league's quota system - also stand to benefit handsomely from any increase because of the laws of supply and demand.

But the question becomes how do you convince the great number of players earning at or near the league minimum - young American players or backup Canadians - to commit to a work stoppage when there's little or no chance many of them will benefit from it?

Standing up for a much higher minimum salary might help boost support among the rank and file, but that never seems to be the priority in either league.

And therein lies the challenge of trying to keep a union full of professional football players all on the same page during a negotiating process.

Consider that, despite having the leverage of being able to shut down the most profitable sport in North America, NFL players weren't much interested in testing the resolve of their membership by missing paycheques when the league locked out its players during the off-season three years ago.

They settled before that could happen.

In Canada, the CFLPA has made a lot of noise about being disappointed in the league's various offers this spring. But it hasn't said anything about having all of its membership on side, or being unbreakable, or being willing to miss game cheques in order to reach their goals in negotiation.

The truth is that if the CFLPA were to strike a portion of the season, a great number of players will never get that money back - even if the owners were to capitulate completely. Many would simply be out of the league before they could benefit or would be left to watch the windfalls go to star players while they continue to earn similar amounts.

All of these dynamics play to the owner's advantage. And in the CFL, where we're talking about players needing money to simply pay for the cost of living, the advantage is even greater.

Will we see a CFL players strike later this month? Perhaps while it's just training camp being missed, when no one has to make a true financial sacrifice to benefit the group for the long term.

But in a sport where the rewards of such an action are likely to wind up in the hands of a select few, expecting anything more may be asking too much.

I liked to see both sides agree to a deal similar to this.

6 year CBA

year 1 - Cap ceiling $5.25 million, Floor $4.8 million, minimum salary $55,000, PR expanded and players receive $1,000 a week.

year 2 - Cap ceiling $5.4 million, Floor $5 million, minimum salary $57,500

year 3 - Cap ceiling $5.5 million, Floor $5 million, minimum salary $60,000

year 4 - Cap ceiling $5.65 million, Floor $5.2 million, minimum salary $60,000, PR salary increase to $1,250 weekly

year 5 - Cap ceiling $5.8 million, Floor $5.3 million, minimum salary $62,500

year 6 - Cap ceiling $6 million, Floor $5.5 million, minimum salary $65,000, PR Salary increase to $1,500 weekly

Also add neurologist for each game or if teams really want to take on the expense, have each team add one to their football ops.

Increase training camp monies 15% over lifetime of deal and playoff compensation increased by 25% over deal.

Lastly give players a dental plan, try and bring in Great West Life as a sponsor and give the players a better benefits package.

I just don't see how the players will actually stick this through. It's easy for hockey players to give up games when they make millions of dollars a season, but in the CFL? Man these guys can't really afford to miss a pay cheque not to mention that the turnover in this league is stupidly high as it is not playing doesn't help any one increase their longevity in the league. I understand the position that they want to make a stand, but there's just no way they will win this. They might be united now but once they find the money isn't coming in there's going to be a lot of guys just wanting to get on the field.

You know how this is going to play out? The week before the first regular season game the players will strike, panic will ensue, fans will be outraged, the national news media will be all over this & the CFL not wanting to piss of TSN or national sponsors, capitulates. The players won't get revenue sharing or a $7 million dollar salary cap but something similar to what Project_Legacy posted. And a neurologist. And a $5,000 signing bonus for veteran players. 

The players get a decent CBA, the CFL doesn't lose face by having to share revenues with the players & the thing is settled. 

The one thing I don't like about this place is the constant bitching about the media whether it's local or national. I get people don't like Paul friesen or Wiecek. I just get sick of hearing about it everytime they post a story some of you don't like. Now, today it's *****, *****, ***** about Madani. 

i dunno why eh

paul friesen 

Went to #Bombers camp today, and had a Mike Kelly flashback. Column on Coach O'Shea's rookie mistake, up later at http://winnipegsun.com

Wonder why most constantly *****.. cuz of crap like this.

The one thing I don't like about this place is the constant bitching about the media whether it's local or national. I get people don't like Paul friesen or Wiecek. I just get sick of hearing about it everytime they post a story some of you don't like. Now, today it's *****, *****, ***** about Madani.

i dunno why eh

paul friesen

Went to #Bombers camp today, and had a Mike Kelly flashback. Column on Coach O'Shea's rookie mistake, up later at http://winnipegsun.com

Exactly. How can people not comment about ignorant stuff like that? Most of our media deserve all slings and arrows launched at them.

i dunno why eh

paul friesen

Exactly. How can people not comment about ignorant stuff like that? Most of our media deserve all slings and arrows launched at them.

i would go as far as to say that our local sports media does more harm than good for our local sports teams, jets included actually but bombers for sure.

But there is some hope with guys like Bauming and even Penton, seems to be quite balanced most times recently at least.

@TSNScianitti: According to a doc submitted to #TSN by players who prefer to remain anynomous, #CFLPA has prepared a new 4-yr offer to restart talks #CFL

@TSNScianitti: #CFLPA new cap numbers 2014 $5.2 million (4.8mil min); 2015 $5.6; 2016 $5.8; 2017 $6m Rev. Protection clause now triggers at $18mil #cfl

@TSNScianitti: Doc says #CFL has rejected it.League not prepared to move.From doc: "no point in meeting unless(players)are prepared to accept (league)offer

@ArashMadani: Bang. RT @JasonAMT: @CFLMikeCopeland your PR bullying tactics are embarrassing, and unprofessional. We stand United as a union. #CFL #CFLPA

@ArashMadani: And boom goes the dynamite. RT @scratchingpost: #CFLPA VP Marwan Hage: "It's two steps forward, ten steps backward." #CFL

@ArashMadani: BREAKING: Excerpt from CFLPA internal memo: "After we are legally allowed to conduct the vote in Alberta, we will all strike together." #CFL

@ArashMadani: Unnecessary! RT @AndrewBucholtz: The NFL has independent sideline neurologists, but #CFL president Michael Copeland says they're unnecessary

@ArashMadani: BREAKING: #CFL commissioner Mark Cohon has, at last, joined the bargaining talks between the league and the players... Urgency being felt.

@ArashMadani: Wow. Now the #CFL players are tossing back uppercuts. RT @CButler28: When can I get my Cohon jersey?

@ArashMadani: Boom. RT @KBergCBS: NBA and the Sterling family trust have settled their dispute, league announces. The team will be sold to Steve Ballmer.

When I joined twitter a few years ago I started following him cuz I thought he'd have good CFL info.... this is the reason why it took about a week before I unfollowed

@TSNScianitti: According to a doc submitted to #TSN by players who prefer to remain anynomous, #CFLPA has prepared a new 4-yr offer to restart talks #CFL

@TSNScianitti: #CFLPA new cap numbers 2014 $5.2 million (4.8mil min); 2015 $5.6; 2016 $5.8; 2017 $6m Rev. Protection clause now triggers at $18mil #cfl

@TSNScianitti: Doc says #CFL has rejected it.League not prepared to move.From doc: "no point in meeting unless(players)are prepared to accept (league)offer

That's a lot of cap movement in 4 years.... to go from $4.4M in 2013 to $6M in 2017... definitely not realistic... I could see starting around $5M and moving up $100k per year to get to $5.4M after 5 years 

Reading between the lines, we might be able to deduce that Flory doesn't have a lot of support for a strike.  The rumour is a majority voted for a strike but if its a soft majority, it would explain a few things.  A strike seemed imminent a few days ago.  The language the PA used hinted at that as far as waiting for Alberta to come back and then "we will strike together".  And the fact they submitted a new offer.  That could indicate a lot of players urging the PA to put something a bit closer to the League offer on the table.

The question now will be, will the League's dismissal of the offer result in players urging the PA to move a bit closer or does it anger players and put them in a mood for action?

I dont think there is any urgency on the part of the league at this point.  If nothing happend between now and opening day I think we will begin hearing rumblings (or perhaps an official release from the CFL) that the players will be locked out without an agreement.  That puts the ball back in the PA's court and would certainly test the resolve of the players.

How many players are willing to strike to try and make gains for a deal two years or three years or four years down the road?  How many players want to lose money now to gain money later with a good likelyhood that a lot of them wont even be in the league then.

I maintain that if the CFL's offer was voted on right now, it would pass.  The PA is trying to a) get a bit more B) satisfy the hardliners who want a lot more.

I suspect the League has a face-saving compromise somewhere.  Whether that is bumping up the signing bonus or starting at a higher cap this year with smaller incremental increases, who knows.  But once we get to the point where the players will be locked out and those game cheques are in real jeopardy, the CFL makes a "consession" so the players can save face and jump on it.

That would be my strategy.

I say the CFL is trying to leverage players and force the PA into either another strike vote or to vote on ratifying the CFL's last proposal. The PA waffled on not reporting to TC and now have been seen as not a solidified group by the league.

How many players are willing to strike to try and make gains for a deal two years or three years or four years down the road?  How many players want to lose money now to gain money later with a good likelyhood that a lot of them wont even be in the league then.

I think this is definitely the most important point to emphasize.... at least half the players currently in the PA will not be around by the time this CA comes to an end so how much are they willing to sacrifice to help out future players? my guess is not much...

@ArashMadani: Boom. MT @danralphcp: Spoke with CFLPA prez Scott Flory. With #CFL rejecting union's latest offer, he believes it is closer to work stoppage

@ArashMadani: Key word: emphatic. RT @danralphcp: Flory emphatic players won't accept what #CFL has termed its "best and final offer." #cflpa

@ArashMadani: Boom. MT @danralphcp: Spoke with CFLPA prez Scott Flory. With #CFL rejecting union's latest offer, he believes it is closer to work stoppage

@ArashMadani: Key word: emphatic. RT @danralphcp: Flory emphatic players won't accept what #CFL has termed its "best and final offer." #cflpa

So Flory thinks the players will accept a worse offer?  Because thats whats going to happen if the players strike and cause games to be missed.  Unless Flory thinks 8 "owners" who dont need the money are more likely to fracture than hundreds of players who do.  Those players have to realise, if they miss two games, those cheques are gone forever (unless the CFL somehow squeezes those games into the schedule).  Even if you get a compromised deal, how many of those players will be around long enough that it was worth it to miss two game cheques?

I think Flory showed his hand by not striking already.  The iron was hot, the media was focused, the CFL had made the last offer and took a take it or leave it approach.  Flory talked tough...and then nothing but another offer.  I think, unless he's got a great poker face, he's shown his hand - the strike vote wasnt overwhelming enough that he feels comfortable in calling for action.  They might walk out united, but how many come back?

They need some backchannel guys to get the CFL to "compromise", save face and move on.  The CFL's deal was fair.  Take it.

I understand the point of not letting your members vote but maybe its time.

On a side note, my local just completed negotiations and I attended the vote where things got heated.  It was actually a good deal which tells you the feeling amongst many members if there was heated arguments over a "good" deal.  But one of the sticking points was that when the Union announced they had a deal in principle, they refused to tell members what the deal was (there was only 3-5 key points outstanding) in advance of the vote.  They actually opened voting before any presentations were made as to what we were voting on.  Several people, myself included, took the opportunity to ask why the information was witheld from us and after initially brushing us off, one Union leader said his experience is, if they release the info and its a good deal, people dont bother voting because they assume it will pass and if the vocal minority dont like it, they come out in droves and vote down a good deal.  I think that logic is ludicrous.

But it shows in CBA nogotiations its not just a matter of letting members choose their deal.  its politics.  Its "leading" the members to the "right" deal.  Etc.  Its all rather silly in my opinion.

You know how this is going to play out? The week before the first regular season game the players will strike, panic will ensue, fans will be outraged, the national news media will be all over this & the CFL not wanting to piss of TSN or national sponsors, capitulates. The players won't get revenue sharing or a $7 million dollar salary cap but something similar to what Project_Legacy posted. And a neurologist. And a $5,000 signing bonus for veteran players. 

The players get a decent CBA, the CFL doesn't lose face by having to share revenues with the players & the thing is settled. 

Flory will implement a rotating strike.  Week 1 the players in Ottawa will sit out.  Week 2, Calgary refuses to participate.  If after 20 weeks the CFL still doesn't get the message, as many as THREE teams will refuse to participate in the playoffs.

Flory has them right where he wants them.