Madani: CFLPA Recommends Strike Vote To Members

Noeller

I guess if the PA really wanted to embarrass the league they could go on strike at about 8pm on Monday.  Bombers and Argos walk off half way through the game.  :P

Them walking off at half time would also be a big FU to the fans who showed up to the game, not the smartest thing to do. 

The other thing is, how many vets are going to be playing monday? i'd assume not that many

League will lock players out before the first game if there is not a deal.  And if they dont, they are crazy.

I wonder if the PA is hedging a bit, wanting a lockout over a strike, thinking it will swing public opinion in their favour.  Regardless of the results of the strike vote, if the sentiment from players is they do not want to miss games, then the PA leadership might be smart to force a lockout situation and try to leverage that to get more unity from the players.

Regardless, missing games is worse for the players than the owners.  Thats why the CFL will sit back and let the PA continue to negotiate against itself.  Either the PA will submit yet another offer or there will be some back channel efforts to get both sides to sit down and try to fingure out a face saving way to make a deal.

I know why the CFL isn't interested - they want cost certainty.

I have no idea why the PA is so determined to push this - it is not the great lottery win they think it is.  The CFLPA is really out of touch with what is going on in the league.  Also out of touch with a calculator.

The PA is determined to get revenue sharing because it would put more money in their pockets immediately.  Same reason they gave up a share of revenues in 2010 for fixed cap, in 2010 the fixed cap put more money in their pockets immediately.  The PA doesn't seem to worry about more than a couple years into the future, which usually means they are putting their future membership at a disadvantage heading into the next negotiation.

League will lock players out before the first game if there is not a deal.  And if they dont, they are crazy.

I wonder if the PA is hedging a bit, wanting a lockout over a strike, thinking it will swing public opinion in their favour.  Regardless of the results of the strike vote, if the sentiment from players is they do not want to miss games, then the PA leadership might be smart to force a lockout situation and try to leverage that to get more unity from the players.

Regardless, missing games is worse for the players than the owners.  Thats why the CFL will sit back and let the PA continue to negotiate against itself.  Either the PA will submit yet another offer or there will be some back channel efforts to get both sides to sit down and try to fingure out a face saving way to make a deal.

Can't see it happening on the league side.  They will continue to call the players bluff until they play their crappy hand.  The players get a little leverage by being able to walk out during the season, but not enough for the league to wipe out their own revenues.

I guess if the PA really wanted to embarrass the league they could go on strike at about 8pm on Monday.  Bombers and Argos walk off half way through the game.  :P

I don't see this as likely for several reasons:

1.  PR would be an absolute nightmare for the PA if they did this.  No chance that you would get any favourable influence from the fans for a very long time.

2.  Different labour laws in different provinces make job actions a tricky business.   In BC for example, a union (in the case of a strike) or the employer (in the case of a lockout) must give a couple of days notice.   The PA could really only play this trick card once, and they couldn't do it everywhere at the same time. 

Also of note in BC, an employer can force the union to conduct a secret ballot vote on a "final offer".  The Minister of Labour would conduct the vote, but an employer can only ask once during a negotiation, so you must use this carefully.   My company did once a couple of decades ago, as the union was representing their own interests ahead of the interests of the employees.   The union negotiator wanted several clauses inserted in the contract that had costs to the employer, but no benefit to the employees working there.   The Minister conducted a vote and the employees voted 80% in favour of the company proposal.  That negotiator was removed, and several subsequent contracts were settled in normal course. 

3.  Even if the PA was to adopt this tactic (not likely), I don't think that they would target Winnipeg for this.   More likely that they would pick the most influential owner, or the one in the bargaining room that pissed them off the most, or the wealthiest team (Riders?), or the biggest media market.

Sorry I didn't have a change to look at the latest offer.  I agree it's just a different way of getting to a number. 

I also don't have time to go through 600 posts to go through what everyone said.  I have been following this from the beginning, however.  

I agree that raising the minimum wage is the main factor;  however those getting closer to the minimum are first year players etc, and ineligible to vote in most provinces;  as well, those on the union board are usually older so all they really care about is the cap. 

Who said anything about players having a second job?  Thats not relevent at all. 

While it may not have been explicitly stated, nor from this forum (as I said I do not have time to go through all the posts), it has been said many time they get paid  $x for 6 months is reasonable for the time frame they play (insinuating they have time to earn additional money).

I disagree that they are living up to or past their means.  Many CFL players are just down to earth guys.  Hell, a friend of mine has Eric Fraser staying at his place....  

If they are willing, and determined, I think some people may be surprised on their willingness to strike.

People have to stop taking things so personally - just trying to show things from a different perspective.  Right perspective?  Maybe not, but a different one.

David William Naylor ‏@TSNDaveNaylor 1m

According to a source, strike votes have been counted on 7 of the 9 CFL teams. 98 per cent in favour of a strike. #cfl #CFLPA

They're having another strike vote at McMahon Stadium on Saturaday, so my educated guess is that the 2 teams that haven't voted yet are Edmonton & Calgary.

According to a source, strike votes have been counted on 7 of the 9 CFL teams. 98 per cent in favour of a strike. #cfl #CFLPA

They're having another strike vote at McMahon Stadium on Saturaday, so my educated guess is that the 2 teams that haven't voted yet are Edmonton & Calgary.

That's quite the bold prediction ;)

Where it's reported that all the players under contract, even 1st year players,  can vote on the proposal.

@ArashMadani: BREAKING: Have learned the three #CFL teams in Ontario will have a strike "re-vote" Saturday, and now will include rookies, in prep to walk.

@ArashMadani: If strike re-vote passes in Ontario Saturday, non-Alberta #CFL players may walk Sunday, which would cancel Monday’s pre-season game in Wpg.

@ArashMadani: Have learned last #CFL proposal includes adding another playoff game if league expands to 10 teams (w/ no increase to playoff compensation).

@ArashMadani: BREAKING: Have learned the three #CFL teams in Ontario will have a strike "re-vote" Saturday, and now will include rookies, in prep to walk.

@ArashMadani: If strike re-vote passes in Ontario Saturday, non-Alberta #CFL players may walk Sunday, which would cancel Monday’s pre-season game in Wpg.

@ArashMadani: Have learned last #CFL proposal includes adding another playoff game if league expands to 10 teams (w/ no increase to playoff compensation).

Why re-vote?

You would think that with that heavy strike support vote that was leaked, (98%) they could just do it anyway.  :unsure:

Why re-vote?

You would think that with that heavy strike support vote that was leaked, (98%) they could just do it anyway. :unsure:

Re-vote would include rookies meaning they can strike too.

Why re-vote?

You would think that with that heavy strike support vote that was leaked, (98%) they could just do it anyway. :unsure:

But there wouldn't be enough rookies to make a difference with that overwhelming majority, unless the legislation in Ontario stipulates otherwise.

Why re-vote?

But there wouldn't be enough rookies to make a difference with that overwhelming majority, unless the legislation in Ontario stipulates otherwise.

Yeah how many rookies would there really be? 15-20 a team? Would that difference really do anything if they have 98% yes already?

If that 98% figure is true that represents the players who actually returned their ballots. We don't know how many did. Logic would dictate the voter turnout would be greater now with players actually in camp.

Further, that 98%, if true, was a vote to provide a strike mandate to union leadership to take to the negotiating table. That was a "we probably won't have to use it" scenario.

Things are more real now. The fact the PA internally was telling its members to be prepared to walk out a couple of weeks ago and nothing happened might indicate that the reality is many players had a "I'll give you the strike mandate for leverage but I ain't actually going on strike" attitude.

We shall see. If the players strike this weekend they are crazy. Wait til the games matter. If they think owners will capitulate for a couple of exhibition games they are nuts.

In general, I think it proper that all members ( including rookies) have a vote. It's their future too, maybe even more so than an aging vet. They have a small window right now to prove themselves, next year there will be more rookies coming in. Proven vets get more chances and the benefit of doubt from coaches and managers. Just look at how excited some fans get for brand name players.

I'm going to assume that they aren't voting on the owners' proposal directly, but rather a typical strike mandate to allow the PA's leadership the authority to call a strike at any time. These are often sold as "negotiation tactics" but I hope that the players fully understand what the reality of the situation is.

What they do the rest of the year isn't relevant. But from a pr perspective they can't plead poverty with $90,000 for six months work.

you can when your life is constantly on the line...

Are you joking me?  RCMP salary is less than this for a whole year and their lives truly are on the line.  These guys play a game, for God's sake!