Madani: CFLPA Recommends Strike Vote To Members

Noeller

anyone else find the wording of Cohon's release confusing?

"This afternoon, the Canadian Football League has sent its best offer for a new collective bargaining agreement directly to the players. Unfortunately, this best offer was rejected by the CFLPA executive committee this morning.

um... that's not how time works.

seems like since we make fun of Flory's releases (rightly so) we ought to hold the league to the same standard.

I think it was rejected by the PA in the morning so they sent it directly to the players after that in the afternoon.

Either that or they built a flux capacitor and managed to harness 1.21 gigawatts.

Dude I think he just really wanted beer.

Just to get this thing signed.... ;) Beer for everyone else.  Rum and Coke for me.  

What kind of beer?

For you, only the best light beer the USA has to offer!

"This afternoon, the Canadian Football League has sent its best offer for a new collective bargaining agreement directly to the players. Unfortunately, this best offer was rejected by the CFLPA executive committee this morning.

seems like since we make fun of Flory's releases (rightly so) we ought to hold the league to the same standard.

I think it was rejected by the PA in the morning so they sent it directly to the players after that in the afternoon.

Either that or they built a flux capacitor and managed to harness 1.21 gigawatts.

deloreancab1.jpg

•  

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk 5m

#CFL source estimates there are 10 to 12 veterans on each team who would collect a report-and-pass bonus this weekend.

If this is infact the case, I would suspect that either a deal is done by Friday, or the teams will lockout the players prior to the bonus money being due.  This would be a very significant deadline for the negotiations.

I think the they won't be locked out. If you think about it at some point they are going to have to pay those bonus. Good PR to let players show up get them. On the other side it would not look good for the players to show up get their money then bolt the next day.

Just heard Florey on 1290, my blunt assessment, Flory is an uneducated idiot.

So in the CFLPA's proposal according to him, the floor is 4.8 million, the top amount is 5.8, so they're only asking teams to spend 4.8 million plus the bonuses. Yeah, cause all teams will do that. Plus if they do, you won't cry collusion. The bonus is for all their hard work etc. We deserve more yada, yada, yada.

If you think about it, even if you go from 4.4 million to 4.8 million plus the vet bonus that's 1 million more. But more likely 4.4-5.8 million is 1.4 +.6 so spend 2 million more this year or most of your new tv $. Sure Ottawa is new and has folded twice. Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton all lose $ and BC is year to year.

Guy couldn't run a lemonaide stand.

Going from 4.2 to 5.8 mil cap in terms of the NHL salary cap would be like going from 71.5 mil to 88.7 million. Not a sustainable or reasonable ask. Especially while asking for a additionly for roughly 600k per team for the vets.

I think the they won't be locked out. If you think about it at some point they are going to have to pay those bonus. Good PR to let players show up get them. On the other side it would not look good for the players to show up get their money then bolt the next day.

That will depend on how likely the league believes that this is the PA's strategy:  to get the bonus money and then bolt.   This is quite unique to the sports world, which doesn't exist in other labour relations.  Signing bonus are quite common in the collective bargaining process, but they kick in after the deal is ratified.   Of course in most negotiations, they set the rates for what everyone is actually making; this contract contains minimums, maximums and framework, but not actual rates of pay.   

The rumour is that the PA told the players to report in good faith, which could truely be good faith, or it could be a ploy to collect the bonus money, which would arm the PA with more resources to strike.  If it is the second, and I hope it isn't, this could be a very very very long stoppage, as all good faith would be lost.

I think optics plays a big role here, lets think about the non hardcore fans who dont post on message boards or dont go on twitter and just basically go by what the papers tell them, if they even care to read those articles. A lockout means, the owners are the  bad guys cuz they are locking the players out.. However a strike means the players are the bad guys and the fans will then tend to probably sway their opions (the non hardcore fan, the casual fan, the non message board posting fan, the majority of fans really)  towards the side of the owners. If the owners lock them out, the fans opinion probably sways towards the players a bit more.. darn greedy owners locking out the players... but if the players strike... darn greedy players. 

Nobody wants to lockout the players and i highly doubt the players even want to strike, using striking as a potential threat, well that's not good either is it?

I wonder how the players would feel about a strike, screw flory hage and the rest, they arent active players are they? nope they are retired, they really lose nothing. It's the guys who actually arent retired who will lose the most. What will scott flory lose? 

The biggest difference between this and any other of the recent Pro sports lockouts/strikes is that the CFL is giving the players more and not trying to take away from the players. The owners of the CFL have no problem with the status quo staying in place and would in many cases prefer things not changing. Other than the money running short the players are in the poistion of power as the league as never been in a better position or more profitable. Therefore the league has no reason to lock out the player unless it wants to look like the bad guy in this.

The players have no power. They have gone from a we won't report stance to reporting in good faith. They are folding like a cheap tent. The CFL knows for the most part they are broke and vets can't wait to get their $750 camp cheque on Sunday for reporting. And yes the lucky few would get a report and pass cheque as well. The few that have it in their contract.

Some idiotic blogger from the US on Twitter is trying to tell me that Saskatchewan made a profit of nearly 150 million dollars .... during Grey Cup week.

... and that's why he is claiming the players are asking for more than a reasonable amount of money.

Some idiotic blogger from the US on Twitter is trying to tell me that Saskatchewan made a profit of nearly 150 million dollars .... during Grey Cup week.

... and that's why he is claiming the players are asking for more than a reasonable amount of money.

quite a bit of those idiots on twitter recently it seems, i've yet to come across one that actually knows what they are talking about though. 

Between this stuff and guys on twitter saying i speak for all fans when i say we are 100 percent behind the players. It makes you wonder if these guys are actually paying attention.

He probably means the Grey Cup resulted in a $150 million economic impact for Sask.

Here's what I think. I have been following the Bombers since 1965 when I turned 10. I consider myself a hardcore fan. I am on the players side to a point. I think they deserve more money. However, this league has problems like what to do with the Argos. Soon to be homeless & dead last in revenues. I'm very ticked about what happened today. So much that I feel that if Scott Flory, the CFLPA, Mark Cohon, who is the puppet for David Braley & the rest of the BOGs' don't care about US... the fans... & if a season is lost then why the hell should I care about the CFL?

It's summer.... Lots to do. I don't have to go to Stamps or Bomber games. I can quite easily find something else to occupy my time. Besides, in about a month & a half the NFL open their training camps so I'll get my fill of football anyway. I'm almost angry enough to walk away from the CFL over their actions. Imbeciles all of them. I'll still post here because I enjoy the banter & this website but getting me to spend $$$ on CFL games or merch??? Well, good luck, even after they come back. Depending on how long they are out & if we miss any games, I may go to a game or two, then maybe not.

Bet a lot of fans feel like I do right now. Playing with fire & these asshats are going to get burned.

He probably means the Grey Cup resulted in a $150 million economic impact for Sask.

And I would challenge that number.   The Regina Grey Cup last year mainly recycled Saskatchewan money.  Most hotels were filled with people from within the province, as all the rooms were monopolized by one operator, who focused on Saskatchewan.  Very little outside money came into the province. 

Lots of over reaction here it seems though, i mean just cuz they broke off talks doesnt mean the season will be cancelled. Let's all back away from the ledge a bit here. There is still time and as of right now, the players will be reporting to camp.. to me that says one of 2 things.. 1. the votes they have received, well probably a lot more no's than the PA expected or 2. they are closer than they are leading us to believe.

Lots of over reaction here it seems though, i mean just cuz they broke off talks doesnt mean the season will be cancelled. Let's all back away from the ledge a bit here.

Exactly. Huge progress was made he last two days. I expect a maximum of a few days of practice to be missed. Guys in the suits just want their long weekend. I expect a deal to be hammered out mid next week.

I continue to be amazed at the constant stream of players whining and embarassing themselves on twitter, and I'm not even paying that close attention.  Maybe the Bombers twitter problems of the past couple years weren't just a Winnipeg thing after all...

The players are acting like they're in a CBA battle with a group of millionaire/billionaires like the NHL and NFL.  Someone should remind them that in places like Wpg, Sask, and EDM, if the teams lose money it is the taxpayers paying the bill. Lord knows we have already. And in the other cities the teams will just fold if they lose enough.  This maybe makes me sound like a shill for the league, but in many ways the CFL is essentially negotiating on behalf of the fans way moreso than in any other situation we've seen in sports.

The higher the salary cap and ratification bonuses are, the more money the province and city (ie. the fans) are on the hook for if the Bombers ever come up short.