Please Read: Message From The Moderation Team

Rich

We wanted to send a reminder out to members of the board to be more aware of what they post on people in the public eye.  This can include players, coaches, members of the media, GMs, etc.

While it is valid, welcome, and encouraged to constructively criticize their work, name calling and derogatory insults are starting to get out of line.

Whenever you post something, consider the impact it would have on that person or that person's family.   You don't appear any smarter by putting someone down to get your point across.

Also, if you don't think a thread has any value, making a post in it to say that the thread is dumb or shouldn't have been made is really not necessary.  If you don't like the thread, don't post, don't read it, and move on.   This kind of nonsense at best discourages people from posting, and participation, at worst it creates a negative vibe to the board.  If a thread really isn't worthwhile, it will either be deleted or it will sink to the bottom of dead threads.  You posting in it, just draws more attention to it.

This site has not been heavily moderated since it opened, mostly because everyone here has been really great with good football discussion, and a great attitude.  We would like to keep it that way, and ask that you help out by taking 10 seconds before you hit the Post button to re-read what you've written, and perform a little self moderation so we don't have to.

We thank you all for your continued contribution and support. The new season is just around the corner, and we are all looking forward to a new and better season of Blue Bomber football!

The Moderation Team

I'll x3 the fact that this announcement did not come based on anyone from the outside coming to us to bring this to our attention. 

We want to maintain a good image out there, so we can attract new members and maybe gain a little bit of publicity in the process.  We are getting some exposure on Twitter now, and some of the people that read our content can help spread the word by retweeting or sharing what they read with others. But it’s not going to happen if what they’re reading is riddled with insults and derogatory comments.

There is nothing wrong with sharing a negative opinion on something, but sometimes things get a little carried away with the berating of others.

Lawsuits can & do happen.... If any of us think we can hide behind our nicknames anonymously when we're slinging mud at people here here we are sadly mistaken. That isn't the point of this thread but just sayin'. Basically the mods are asking for us to show respect as well as restraint & I'm fine with that. 

It's fine as long as it doesn't become ourbombers.com like in how picky the mods get. 

For example I would hope we can talk and discuss and have posts about the new QB and his past legal and other issues as part of his thread.    I also hope this site doesn't act petty and whine if we mention about how a player chain smokes or if a players girlfriend is cray-cray and acts up at training camp and practices....

I think a player's past is fair game if it is public knowledge. I think where the line crossing takes place if someone posts that a player or a coach is having an affair, is abusive at home, does drugs or is an alcoholic based on hearsay. That's the stuff that should never be posted.

This thread is dumb.....LOL.  Just kidding. Keep up the great work guys.  Really appreciate the anti-Shankman moderation style.  That guy just showed how one bad moderator can destroy an entire website. 

Overmodding on Our Bombers = trainwreck. #theydontgetit

Lawsuits can & do happen.... 

There is no lawsuit that can win because someone said something on the internet. That's what free speech is there to protect. Now they could I suppose depending on what was said go in front of one of those unconstituational human rights commissions but those are a whole different discussion that is probably best left alone cause it'll get more than a few people riled up.

X5

No requests and I generally try to let people sort things out for themselves .. self moderate .. and let the chips fall where they may ..  I don't care if you're a 10 year poster or a 10 day poster .. treat you all the same way and hope that (somewhat) intelligent discourse ensues.

There is no lawsuit that can win because someone said something on the internet. That's what free speech is there to protect. Now they could I suppose depending on what was said go in front of one of those unconstituational human rights commissions but those are a whole different discussion that is probably best left alone cause it'll get more than a few people riled up.

You never know.  I believe Brian Burke is still trying to sue Poonerman, Slobberface, and Sir Psycho Sexy for claiming online that he cheated on his wife with Hazel Mae from Sportsnet and got her pregnant.

Libel laws still apply to internet postings. And there are limits to what is protected with respect to Freedom of Expression in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Free speech on a message board is a myth - you give it up when you agree to the terms of service that lets the board owner(s) and their appointees edit or remove your posts.