Please Read: Message From The Moderation Team

Rich

Lawsuits can & do happen.... 

There is no lawsuit that can win because someone said something on the internet. That's what free speech is there to protect. Now they could I suppose depending on what was said go in front of one of those unconstituational human rights commissions but those are a whole different discussion that is probably best left alone cause it'll get more than a few people riled up.

Libel laws still apply to internet postings. And there are limits to what is protected with respect to Freedom of Expression in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Free speech on a message board is a myth - you give it up when you agree to the terms of service that lets the board owner(s) and their appointees edit or remove your posts. 

There is a difference between freedom of expression as guaranteed by the government and the owners of a website moderating and editing what can be said, a very big difference. The only way I would worry about libel applying to something said on the internet is if it was said by someone in the media or some other person with some degree of fame. Joe Average says something? Big deal that's not going to hold up anywhere. 

You never know.  I believe Brian Burke is still trying to sue Poonerman, Slobberface, and Sir Psycho Sexy for claiming online that he cheated on his wife with Hazel Mae from Sportsnet and got her pregnant.

Those guys deserve to be sued…if only for their choice of nicknames.

Why take the chance being sued on a board where you're supposed to come have fun & talk about football? If people take things to the limit as far as slandering others then they have no life. I say things  here & can be pretty blunt at times but I know there is a limit to what I can say about public figures.... if people go past that line then it's their fault if they wind up in court & spend their next year's salary on legal fees.