Buck Pierce set to announce retirement today

CJOB Sports has learned CFL quarterback Buck Pierce will announce his retirement today.

The 32-year old Pierce completed his 9th CFL season as a member of the B.C. Lions after being traded by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Pierce has another year left on his playing contract, but has decided to retire while he is still healthy. Pierce says he is exploring options that will allow him to stay in football. One of those options could be a spot on the Blue Bombers coaching staff.

Pierce started his career in B.C. in 2005. He joined the Blue Bombers in 2010.

Be great if we could use him as a coach in some capacity, I know his heart really is with the Bombers ...

I hope the meme of getting all "name" players to coach here dies. I don't want Pierce back at all. Outstanding person, but really we need to focus on football and not employing former Bombers.

I get that there is a bias towards getting old Bombers to coach here (I'm guilty of it too) and we should always think with our brains and not our hearts but in this case I would say hiring him would be a hearts and brains decision, and a good one at that. Buck's not just a great guy, he's a guy that has management/coaching written all over him. Kind of like Steve Yzerman. I know the Bombers really liked him and didn't really want to trade him, and I think they just wanted to get him on a team that had a shot at a cup while he was still playing.

Buck still lives in Winnipeg right? I saw him in some dental ad for Manitoba dentists a few days ago. I would think that this decision to retire is in conjunction with some sort of coaching position with Winnipeg.

At the very least, having him as some sort of "Ambassador" for the WBB FC would be valuable. If he can be some kind of assistant coach, too, all the better. Definitely should be a Bomber for life.

I get that there is a bias towards getting old Bombers to coach here (I'm guilty of it too) but in this case I would make an exception. Buck's not just a great guy, he's a guy that has management/coaching written all over him. Kind of like Steve Yzerman. I know the Bombers really liked him and didn't really want to trade him, and I think they just wanted to get him on a team that had a shot at a cup while he was still playing.

Buck still lives in Winnipeg right? I saw him in some dental ad for Manitoba dentists a few days ago. I would think that this decision to retire is in conjunction with some sort of coaching position with Winnipeg.

I would assume that with his fiancée living here and his business interests being here, he'll become a full time Winnipegger if he's not already.

I know I often ragged on the guy for what he did here as a player, but I definitely always wanted to cheer for him. I'm glad he's leaving the playing field on his own terms and I honestly wish nothing but the best for him. Definitely a class act human being. He held his wedding social last weekend and I've never seen a host be so gracious towards all the guests he had. He made a point of shaking every hand possible towards the end of the night. I kind of expected him to just socialize with his close circle of friends that night, but he went out of his way to make sure every single person there knew he appreciated them being there to support him. Classy guy all the way.

Be great if we could use him as a coach in some capacity, I know his heart really is with the Bombers ...

I hope the meme of getting all "name" players to coach here dies. I don't want Pierce back at all. Outstanding person, but really we need to focus on football and not employing former Bombers.

I hope you enjoy being in the minority by a large margin ... cause you're it  :P

I would assume that with his fiancée living here and his business interests being here, he'll become a full time Winnipegger if he's not already.

I know I often ragged on the guy for what he did here as a player, but I definitely always wanted to cheer for him. I'm glad he's leaving the playing field on his own terms and I honestly wish nothing but the best for him. Definitely a class act human being. He held his wedding social last weekend and I've never seen a host be so gracious towards all the guests he had. He made a point of shaking every hand possible towards the end of the night. I kind of expected him to just socialize with his close circle of friends that night, but he went out of his way to make sure every single person there knew he appreciated them being there to support him. Classy guy all the way.

Great post. I know I've been to enough socials where the groom just sits there with a few of his buddies and ignores everyone else, so good on Buck for being a good host. I bet the catering was good too, if Danny and Buck's provided the eats. I always make a point of going to Buck's restaurant when I get into town, especially since it's only five minutes from the airport.

Hope to see him on the sidelines in Blue and Gold this year (coaching attire).

I'm surprised he's leaving with a year left on his current contract.  I would have guessed all along that Buck would have been the type to retire because he had to, not because he chose to.

Having said that, I think it's a good move that he's making the decision on his own terms. I'd welcome him back here for a job in personnel.

I'm sure he was asked nicely by BC to retire , specially after they signed that new guy.

We can pretty much guarantee Glenn will be in BC now.

Good for him on retiring, it wasn't nice seeing him being crushed and looking spaced out.

I don't want him as a coach but he can sure take over for Doug Brown on the radio.

I'm sure he was asked nicely by BC to retire , specially after they signed that new guy.

or he knew he wasn't going to play and wants to be in Winnipeg with his finance/wife? Sometimes things are less complicated than people make them. 

I'd love to see them find a role for Pierce on the team. He lost it as a player but as a person he's a good one and he bled blue and gold, gotta love that about him. 

I don't want him as a coach but he can sure take over for Doug Brown on the radio.

As much as I'm not a fan of Snidely Brown, I also don't think Buck's delivery is very good for radio. His quasi-stutter is kind of distracting. He'd be wasted in broadcasting, much rather see him bring that gung-ho attitude to the dressing room in a coaching capacity. I think he and O'Shea would get along really well.

I agree, otherwise I'm sure he'd be released. 

Making room for Kevin Glenn would be my guess. 

Finding a spot for Buck in our organization would be nice, he's someone who if nothing else always gave us his all.

I'm actually a bit surprised that I'm not disappointed with this news. Good on Buck for retiring before it was too late, have always said that he stills brings a lot of value to football, just maybe not as a starter anymore. I'd love to see Buck here in some type of coaching capacity, whether quality control coach or offensive assistant etc,

or he knew he wasn't going to play and wants to be in Winnipeg with his finance/wife? Sometimes things are less complicated than people make them.

I'd love to see them find a role for Pierce on the team. He lost it as a player but as a person he's a good one and he bled blue and gold, gotta love that about him.

I wouldn't want him coaching, we need to eliminate the old losing way from the locker room. I'd rather he simply be an ambassador or sell pulled pork in the stands...

Finding a spot for Buck in our organization would be nice, he's someone who if nothing else always gave us his all.

Even though 2010 was a fail of a year and Buck was injured for a lot of it, I still remember the commanding presence he brought onto the field in his first game in Blue and Gold. When he took to the field with the offense for the first time, I was legitimately excited to see what he was going to do, and I remembered that sensation being the first time in a long time that I was excited about our offense. It's too bad he got so beat up, and by last season was a shadow of his former self. Though he did go out with a great last game last year against Edmonton, he got to play like the Buck of old for that last game with three passing TD's and one rushing TD and it was good to see.

A lot of things one wants in a QB. Sort of the 'lived and died by the sword' type player.

We need a QB that gives our team a true identity and I think what Buck brought to the table can help with that in how we groom our next QB.

I think he'd be great for this league what ever that may be.