Buck Pierce set to announce retirement today

I'm fan with him being an ambassador.  Tremendous guy, who is pretty much well-liked by anyone who's met him.

Coach?  No thanks.

Just out of curiosity ... why?

Doesn't strike me as cerebral enough to coach.  

How cerebral must one be for a QC role?

I'm fan with him being an ambassador.  Tremendous guy, who is pretty much well-liked by anyone who's met him.

Coach?  No thanks.

You are right, there are so many people smarter than Buck that have coached in the CFL...

Daley.jpg

mike_kelly3-300x209.jpg

reinebold-germany-620-thumb-620xauto-312

Coach?  No thanks.

How would you like me to answer that?

I have seen Buck read defenses - coverages, protection schemes, blitzes.  Perhaps he will make a great coach one day, since play on the field isn't the complete indicator of coaching success, but I wouldn't be the one to take that gamble.

Coach?  No thanks.

if guys like Marcus Brady and Jarious Jackson can be coaches in the CFL then so can Buck Pierce. I dunno if he wants to or if the Bombers want him to but I don't think he's unqualified for at least a chance anyway. 

Coach?  No thanks.

if guys like Marcus Brady and Jarious Jackson can be coaches in the CFL then so can Buck Pierce. I dunno if he wants to or if the Bombers want him to but I don't think he's unqualified for at least a chance anyway. 

Bombers have their qb coach. If I was Buck, I'd stay out of football for a year, enjoy the summer with his family & decide what he wants to do with his life. He's probably played football since he was 8 years old. Just take some time off to decompress & enjoy life. 

So captain Blue...what do you base your opinion on?  Cause everytime I've heard Buck interviewed, he speaks intelligently and seems to have a good understanding of the game.  So before you share your opinion, you should really be able to back it up with some sort of facts or findings. 

I know Khari Jones. He was living  in Calgary after his playing days were over for a few years & I got to know him. Before he got into CFL coaching he told me that he wanted to  be out of the game for 3 years. He set that as his goal. He felt that 3 years would totally get playing football out of his system so that he'd be ready to coach. Yeah, his arm & shoulder were shot but at the same time the competitive juices don't top flowing & he did miss playing. So, he felt the best way to handle it was not go near a football field. He finally felt ready to be a coach when he was hired in Hamilton.

I know Khari Jones. He was living in Calgary after his playing days were over for a few years & I got to know him. Before he got into CFL coaching he told me that he wanted to be out of the game for 3 years. He set that as his goal. He felt that 3 years would totally get playing football out of his system so that he'd be ready to coach. Yeah, his arm & shoulder were shot but at the same time the competitive juices don't top flowing & he did miss playing. So, he felt the best way to handle it was not go near a football field. He finally felt ready to be a coach when he was hired in Hamilton.

Wasn't he a CBC CFL sideline reporter before he went into coaching?

So captain Blue...what do you base your opinion on?  Cause everytime I've heard Buck interviewed, he speaks intelligently and seems to have a good understanding of the game.  So before you share your opinion, you should really be able to back it up with some sort of facts or findings. 

And yet you are basing your opinion on media interviews.  

We are all basing our opinions off what we see.  I place more emphasis on what I saw on the field.

I know Khari Jones. He was living in Calgary after his playing days were over for a few years & I got to know him. Before he got into CFL coaching he told me that he wanted to be out of the game for 3 years. He set that as his goal. He felt that 3 years would totally get playing football out of his system so that he'd be ready to coach. Yeah, his arm & shoulder were shot but at the same time the competitive juices don't top flowing & he did miss playing. So, he felt the best way to handle it was not go near a football field. He finally felt ready to be a coach when he was hired in Hamilton.

For awhile. But he wasn't with a team in any capacity anywhere.

I normally roll my eyes at the "he was a great player for us, therefore he must be a great coach" kind of logic. 

That said, I think Buck has potential. Yeah, some of his decision making when the bullets were flying was boneheaded, but that doesn't mean he doesn't understand the game and what it takes to be a good CFL QB.

And the fact that he's just a really good guy matters when you're talking positional coaches. 

I recall that when Buck was injured last season and he joined Crowton in the booth, the offense started to improve.

I think Buck could add value as a QB/Offensive assistant this season.

Perhaps the offense improved because he was off the field.

For awhile. But he wasn't with a team in any capacity anywhere.

He wasn't a sideline reporter, he was the colour guy in the booth, paired with the indomitable Steve Armitage who was doing the play by play. TSN took over all rights to broadcasts so Khari was out of a job which was fine as it was high time for him to be sharing his talents as a coach in the CFL.

He wasn't a sideline reporter, he was the colour guy in the booth, paired with the indomitable Steve Armitage who was doing the play by play. TSN took over all rights to broadcasts so Khari was out of a job which was fine as it was high time for him to be sharing his talents as a coach in the CFL.

Yes he was a sideline reporter for CBC.

http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=2337809c-bac4-4806-be8d-4eb9767c65b5&k=34864

Yes he was a sideline reporter for CBC.

http://www.canada.com/mobile/iphone/story.html?id=2337809c-bac4-4806-be8d-4eb9767c65b5&k=34864

Maybe to start but I know he was the colour guy at some point with Army - I remember listening to Khari when he was on the phone with Mike Richards when Richards was doing his Armitage parody and couldn't stop laughing. Hey I found it!

https://soundcloud.com/tags/steve%20armitage

At the end of its run, the CFL on CBC was hosted by Elliotte Friedman, and featured the panel of Sean Millington, Greg Frers, and Khari Jones. Mark Lee was the main play-by-play commentator, along with colour commentator Chris Walby. The secondary broadcast team was Steve Armitage and Khari Jones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFL_on_CBC