Eskimos release Alexander (Now Signed with the Bombers)

voodoochylde

Why did your co-worker take Buck Pierce fishing?

Apparently he knows some really good spots in the province.  He's taken a few sports figures with him fishing with pictures to prove it.  He took some MLB player, can't remember which one because I don't watch baseball, as well.  When he took Buck, he also brought along one of the other Bombers too, can't remember which one.  Fishing doesn't interest me, Buck doesn't interest me, and Baseball doesn't interest me...so...yeah...my recollection of the whole story is vague, other then seeing him standing their with Buck with some giant ass fish.

So you took a question about leadership qualities and turned it into a pulpit to continue to slag and insult buck pierce yet again..

Stay classy bud.

Lol I didn't see the teammates crying or twittering a storm about Buck when he was traded away,    when Korey Banks left BC we saw team mates really upset that a leader was being shipped off.   

Buck as a "leader" is just something the fans created... He was the Andrew Ladd of the Blue Bombers... a tough hard nose player who tried to lead by example.... unfortunately for Buck he was awful the last 2 years so that leadership had zero effectiveness.   

I never seen such a sad uninspired team as the guys last season....  that leadership of Buck really didn't look like it made any impact.    Hey remember a few years back when Elliott was firing up the club and the players instantly responded compared to how lethargic they looked when Buck was at the helm.

Buck was no great motivational leader, so get over it.       

Absolutley he was, when he played ( I appreciate his injury issue), he played full out which, as many of his teammates would comment, influenced them to play full out, not taking any plays off. That's called motivation. 

Agree with Brandon.  Just to compare, Khari Jones was a leader on the field.  Buck was not.  My co-worker took him fishing and told me he was a really nice guy, which I believe.  But a leader on the field.  I just don't see it.

Completley disagree with this statement. Buck showed on and off the field needed leadership qualities for this team, especially the young guys. Things like loyalty, in-game coaching (whether playing or not) of his teammates, how he presented himself to the media, his honesty with his limitations and knowing it's negatively affecting his ability to be on the field consistently. Buck would be a great QB coach in my opinion.

Agree with Brandon.  Just to compare, Khari Jones was a leader on the field.  Buck was not.  My co-worker took him fishing and told me he was a really nice guy, which I believe.  But a leader on the field.  I just don't see it.

Completley disagree with this statement. Buck showed on and off the field needed leadership qualities for this team, especially the young guys. Things like loyalty, in-game coaching (whether playing or not) of his teammates, how he presented himself to the media, his honesty with his limitations and knowing it's negatively affecting his ability to be on the field consistently. Buck would be a great QB coach in my opinion.

Buck was a leader on the field when he first got here, but it didn't last too long just because he got so broken. I really don't think he was ever the same kind of player after he buggered up his elbow. 

Buck was a leader on the field when he first got here, but it didn't last too long just because he got so broken. I really don't think he was ever the same kind of player after he buggered up his elbow. 

Yes but one of my points was you don't have to be playing to be a leader. His elbow issues, for example, didn't change how he demonstrated his off-field leadership qualities with his teammates, with the coaching staff, with management, with the fans.

Yes but one of my points was you don't have to be playing to be a leader. His elbow issues, for example, didn't change how he demonstrated his off-field leadership qualities with his teammates, with the coaching staff, with management, with the fans.

If you think he'd be such a great QB coach, why was it when he was hurt, our QB's didn't get any better then they were?  If he wasn't playing because he was hurt, he should have been helping out the other QB's get better.  So either A) he just sucked at coaching other players, B) the other QB's didn't listen to him, or C) he didn't care and wanted to stay #1 so didn't bother helping the others get better.

And sorry, but I don't see how you can be a leader when you look like a deer in headlights most of the game.

But I think the only place he really was a leader was on the field playing his balls to the walls style. Much more of a lead by example type than a guy who could lead from the sidelines. 

Buck was committed to the Bombers, not much more you can say than that.

I'll agree with you on that.  But being committed doesn't mean you're a leader.  I agree with 17.  He was a more lead by example type of guy.

I've already tried to provide specific examples (commitment was not one of them btw) of how he actually demonstrated his leadership qualities on and off the field. I'm sensing based on some the posts here that Buck doesn't posess the leadership qualities necessary to be an effective leader. If that's the case, then provide some specific actual examples of his behaviours/actions that would suggest this is true other than identifying his injuries/stats which have nothing specificaly to do with his leadership abilities. Even a mediocre scout team player can be a great leader for his/her team if used appropriately.   

C'mon you guys, how do you know anything about a player's leadership qualities if you're not in the room with them?

Same way we judge everyone else in this world.  Just by observation.  Watching how he acts and reacts.  On the field, in front of the camera, what he says in the paper, what others say about him, watching how he handles himself before and after a game whether he wins or loses.

C'mon you guys, how do you know anything about a player's leadership qualities if you're not in the room with them?

Agreed. I think the closest thing idea we as fans could get is what you hear from other players. Sure a lot could be bullshitting for the sake of ruffling any feathers, but when you heard from guys like Obby Khan, and Terrence Edwards just to name a couple, in my opinion it seemed sincere whenever they would talk about what Buck brought to the table.

Same way we judge everyone else in this world.  Just by observation.  Watching how he acts and reacts.  On the field, in front of the camera, what he says in the paper, what others say about him, watching how he handles himself before and after a game whether he wins or loses.

You really think you can judge a player by their interactions with the media?  Players never talk straight with the media.  They talk in uncontroversial cliches, mostly. (which is why most of sports journalism is a total bore, but that's another topic)

You're making up an opinion based on observing like 1% of what's going on.  It's silly to hear people debate this stuff as if it's fact, it's just people waving opinions around based on how they feel.

Many of his Bomber teammates referred to him as their leader during his time here, to suggest otherwise is petty.

Who?

How come they were not outraged by him being traded.

Is that really the basis for your argument or are you just playing silly bugger?

You really think you can judge a player by their interactions with the media?  Players never talk straight with the media.  They talk in uncontroversial cliches, mostly. (which is why most of sports journalism is a total bore, but that's another topic)

You're making up an opinion based on observing like 1% of what's going on.  It's silly to hear people debate this stuff as if it's fact, it's just people waving opinions around based on how they feel.

You know what I find hilarious.  You say (and when I say you I mean everyone) that Banks is a leader on the field.  How do you know that?  What gives you that impression?  Maybe he's just all talk.  You're making an opinion based on observing 1% of what's going on.  Etc....

"Burris is a whiner and complains and I don't want him here"  How do you know that?  Are you his coach?  Are you in the locker room with him?  If you're watching the sports news you're only getting 1% of what's going on...blah blah blah.

Seriously...you guys are saying that because we're questioning his leadership that we're wrong.  Yet in other threads you point out that Burris is a whiner, Banks is a leader, so and so is this way or that.  How do you know?  You're not his mother/brother/father/sister/teammate/coach/etc...

*cough*hypocritical*cough*

We're all getting this information by hearsay and media and watching what they're like on the field and off.

You think I'm wrong about Buck?  Then why weren't we winning games with him behind center?  Yes coaching was a factor, but true leadership inspires...and he inspired no one.  None of them did.  Not the coaches, not the players.  There was no spark on our team.  Sparks are made by good leadership.  There was none on our team.  But I hope there is now.  Time will tell.