Who Has The Best Offensive Line?

Mark H.

I watched a bit of the last night's game again this morning, specifically paying attention to AC, and something was definitely bothering AC, and it wasn't just our defence.  He was pissed off almost from the first series, and kept looking at the bench and raising his hands in frustration.  This happened almost every time they failed to convert on second down.  I know our defence was great, but it was almost like Calvillo and his OC were feuding before the game even started, and AC already knew in advance that their game plan was ****.

I watched a bit of the last night's game again this morning, specifically paying attention to AC, and something was definitely bothering AC, and it wasn't just our defence.  He was pissed off almost from the first series, and kept looking at the bench and raising his hands in frustration.  This happened almost every time they failed to convert on second down.  I know our defence was great, but it was almost like Calvillo and his OC were feuding before the game even started, and AC already knew in advance that their game plan was ****.

I noticed that too, but also have to agree with JBR's assessment.

It's going to be really interesting to watch what happens in Montreal. Calvillo is clearly not happy with the offense they're running, Have to see if there's a mutiny of some kind there. Will also be interesting to see if any other defense exposes him the same way that the bombers did. It's not the first time that the bombers defense has got into Calvillos head so maybe it's just a matchup problem. 

Watch the replay of that play, Kohlert was WIDE open forever, Buck almost took too long to get it to him, as usual.

He had to roll out due to pressure, that's not the issue. The issue is that he didn't hit him in stride, giving Tisdale a chance to catch up and make the tackle.

been concerned that we have the wrong guy at qb since they started talking about the big protection quick release offense. Need Calvillo or Glenn to run that most effectively and I would absolutely have tried my best to bring Glenn in during the offseason. 

Imagine this team With Kevin at QB? it would be a first place team for sure. We have all the other pieces in place that we dont need a superstar, Just a guy that can get things done with the talent around him... which is exactly what Kevin is..

He would be able to burn teams who blitz him. And if teams start dropping everyone back into coverage, because thats how you beat Kevin... Simpson and Ford can rack up 200 yards rushing for us.

So the game plan is to leave the A and B gaps open?  Almost all of our pressure was coming right through the middle.  They weren't blocking anyone, Calvillo couldn't even get his eyes downfield before the rush was in his face.  That's not holding the ball too long.  Montreal's OL has been exposed over the past couple seasons by our DL and others, even with Trestman calling the plays. 

Interesting quote from Doug Brown:

"All game long the Bombers ran stunts to great effect against an immobile QB who was suddenly vulnerable due to the absence of a maximum-protection scheme and a Marc Trestman offence that used to emphasize getting the ball out of his hands as quickly as possible."

Interesting quote from Doug Brown:

"All game long the Bombers ran stunts to great effect against an immobile QB who was suddenly vulnerable due to the absence of a maximum-protection scheme and a Marc Trestman offence that used to emphasize getting the ball out of his hands as quickly as possible."

I agree with that a little bit.  The Bomber coaches on D knew where the weakness was and exploited it, which is basically what has been happening since Burke came here in 2011.  Move Calvillo off his first read, and he is in trouble because their OL isn't great.  Montreal is running a new offence, but at the core of it, an OL needs to hold his inside gap and get their hands on someone in pass blocking.  Can't recall a professional game where a team consistently was getting home nearly untouched through the interior without sending more than 4 or 5.  On the one sack, all 5 Bombers rushing ended up on top of Calvillo and Montreal was called for holding.  It was an embarrassing display by the guys lining up for the Als along the OL, regardless of what the Bombers did and what the new scheme is.

Calvillo and his receivers are learning a new offence while seething all game because they know that they could call a better game in the huddle...  I don't see this season going all that well for Montreal.  

And Dinwiddie as 'offensive quality control'...?  I mean what advice is he going to provide Calvillo, Green and Richardson?  'Try to make you're eyes more focused, guys.  Like really, really stare.'

Montreal would be better with no offensive coaching staff.

Don't be surprised if Doug Berry gets 'demoted' to offensive coordinator by Labour Day - his schemes are way more in sync with Calvillo than this gong show.

He had to roll out due to pressure, that's not the issue. The issue is that he didn't hit him in stride, giving Tisdale a chance to catch up and make the tackle.

Definitely an underthrown ball... that being said Kohlert really didn't need to do much for the catch so it wasn't a terrible ball either

And Dinwiddie as 'offensive quality control'...?  I mean what advice is he going to provide Calvillo, Green and Richardson?  'Try to make you're eyes more focused, guys.  Like really, really stare.'

A quality control coach is involved mostly with off-field game preparation. 

And Dinwiddie as 'offensive quality control'...?  I mean what advice is he going to provide Calvillo, Green and Richardson?  

he was always known as a smart guy... Did you know that Scott Milanovich was a bloody 3rd string qb in the CFL? Guess he had nothing to add to Calvillo or Rays game either? How guys do as players has very little bearing on how good they are as coaches. 

Most players who weren't the best players make great coaches because they have to work harder as players & therefore have a better work ethic asd a coach. And they relate to the players who weren't the best... I remember reading a story about Ron Lancaster when he first became a head coach in Saskatchewan. He couldnt understand why the things that came easy to him as a quarterback & player didn't come easy to his players on the Riders.