Who Has The Best Offensive Line?

Mark H.

Last on the coach's show...Tim Burke said Hamilton has the best offensive line in the CFL. 

It's a little early in the season to do a team by team ranking, but just off the top of your head, who do you guys think is the best?

I've gotta put Calgary ahead of Hamilton for sure.

I think Burris makes his O-line look much stronger than it otherwise would look (Burris' playaction Option read is so good... )

I also think Cornish learnt a lot about how to run in the playaction from Burris (or Hufnagel) because even once Burris left their playaction has remained deadly - Really selling playaction and running it with an option for the QB to either take it or give it depending on how the defense bites makes Oline's look so much better

I'd take Montreal, if only for their passports alone.  Having 5 NI on the O Line just gives you so many more options on O and D.

Those options won't matter when Calvillo is on a stretcher.  They were brutal last week.  Their interior guys were getting shelled by Ryan Lucas.  If I was coaching the Als, Woodruff wouldn't eat another poutine.  Roundest gut in the league.

Way to early to tell... but based on how many seconds he had in the pocket... it looked to me that Ray had a lot of protection.

how ever last season hamilton had all sorts of problems getting pressure on qbs so I'd be waiting a bit to see if hamilton is poor on the d-line and how the argos o-line fairs against a possible stiffer test before making any real judgements there. 

Those options won't matter when Calvillo is on a stretcher.  They were brutal last week.  Their interior guys were getting shelled by Ryan Lucas.  If I was coaching the Als, Woodruff wouldn't eat another poutine.  Roundest gut in the league.

I recall one play where basically every bombers d-lineman wound up piled on top of Calvillo... lot of the shine really came off the montreal o-line after that game. 

Really think people underestimate our OL. It's actually pretty good and, for the most part, they gave Buck quite a bit of time in the first game....never mind that this same crew was one of the best (...if not THE best...) down the stretch (final 7 games...) last year...

Really think people underestimate our OL. It's actually pretty good and, for the most part, they gave Buck quite a bit of time in the first game....never mind that this same crew was one of the best (...if not THE best...) down the stretch (final 7 games...) last year...

Especially when you consider that it required quite a bit of blitzing for Montreal to get pressure on Pierce, and blitz pickups it seems to me are one of the things that takes time for offenses to really nail down. Would have liked to see them get simpson some more running room but at the same time the bombers didn't really stick with the run game enough either. 

How can we say our o line is under rated when they were dominated whenever Montreal blitzed them.    I know things would of been better had Buck made some quick reads and releases... but dear lord he had zero steamboats meanwhile in the 4th Calvillo had a tonne of time.   

How can we say our o line is under rated when they were dominated whenever Montreal blitzed them.    I know things would of been better had Buck made some quick reads and releases... but dear lord he had zero steamboats meanwhile in the 4th Calvillo had a tonne of time.   

well that is precisely the point of blitzing... bring more than can be blocked and force the qb to get the ball out quickly and accurately. There weren't many times when a blitz came and someone was just flat out missed. happened a couple times but it wasn't a common occurence, most of the pressure was montreal simplying bringing more than the bombers had blockers. That's the other difference, the bombers were bringing pressure with primarily 4 man rushes, much less blitzing. 

I would go with Calgary and Sask right now - both offences had a lot of time against good Ds

Toronto and Montreal are good, Wpg, BC and Hamilton are close - only Edmonton is really bad imo

Hard to judge Wpg - Buck's reads are slow so they have to protect longer but Simpson makes plays on his own... we'll see.

7 rushers against 6 blockers what do you propose they do?  Grow extra arms?

Gee you make it sound like it doesn't happen to other teams. Screens and draws are effective counter plays to combat an overly aggressive pass rush. How many of them did you see called last game? Crowton is clueless to the CFL game. I don't care who the O line is with him calling plays.

Gee you make it sound like it doesn't happen to other teams. Screens and draws are effective counter plays to combat an overly aggressive pass rush. How many of them did you see called last game? Crowton is clueless to the CFL game. I don't care who the O line is with him calling plays.

No ****, the point is that it's not all on the o-line.  Try to follow along, doctor, it's not that complicated.

Gee, I get the feeling from your tone that you have something against the Bombers, why is that?