Burke fired

Atomic

Anyone who thinks this team had the horses to compete and was only held back by coaching is out to lunch.

And anyone who thinks coaching wasn't the single biggest issue with this team is similarly out to lunch. 

What other team in the CFL would you take our roster over?

Our roster sucks. Maybe a  half dozen guys I'd keep next season but that's it. We have the worst Canadian talent in the league. And not much better import wise. Coaching was an issue but moreso a lack of talent thanks to Joe Mack.

I hate when the spending on players topic comes up. The cfl has a salary cap which includes a salary floor. Every team spends the same on players within a couple hundred grand. It wasn't what they spent, it was how they spent it.

Also Miller said before that Walters had the power of the GM while he was interim GM. He was out here making trades and signings and giving pressers. But suddenly he can't so the Burke presser because he's not really the GM?

I don't know if it's an ego thing but miller shouldn't have been the one making the announcement. It should have been Walters. And if he can't so it because of his title then relieve him of his duties.

Anyone who thinks this team had the horses to compete and was only held back by coaching is out to lunch.

And anyone who thinks coaching wasn't the single biggest issue with this team is similarly out to lunch. 

What other team in the CFL would you take our roster over?

Did I say that the roster was the most talented in the league? I said coaching was the #1 issue and it was. It made the talent that is here look much worse than it actually is. 

I'm not as angry about the coaching as some, but one thing I do know: All this talk about the roster being SO bad, and Burke had nothing to work with.....bullshit. Mack brought the roster leaps and bounds from where Kelly left it. By no means were we a GREAT team, but it's not like Burke had absolutely nothing there. I'm not gonna throw Mack under the bus for this one.

I'm not as angry about the coaching as some, but one thing I do know: All this talk about the roster being SO bad, and Burke had nothing to work with.....bullshit. Mack brought the roster leaps and bounds from where Kelly left it. By no means were we a GREAT team, but it's not like Burke had absolutely nothing there. I'm not gonna throw Mack under the bus for this one.

The truth is somewhere in between. We had a combination of the worst talent in the league & a bad coaching staff, possibly the worst in the CFL. Edmonton's in that conversation; Reed seemed to lose his sanity as the season went on and made some very strange decisions. His "consequences" rant is up there for the worst coach media scrums I've ever seen.

17to85 wouldn't (couldn't) answer the question so I'll put it to you, what other team's roster would you take ours over?

The truth is somewhere in between. We had a combination of the worst talent in the league & a bad coaching staff, possibly the worst in the CFL. Edmonton's in that conversation; Reed seemed to lose his sanity as the season went on and made some very strange decisions. His "consequences" rant is up there for the worst coach media scrums I've ever seen.

17to85 wouldn't (couldn't) answer the question so I'll put it to you, what other team's roster would you take ours over?

I get your point and truthfully, I wouldn't take any roster over ours but that's not a testament to the overall level of talent. Take QB out of the equation and I'd put our roster up against a handful of others around the league.

I hate when the spending on players topic comes up. The cfl has a salary cap which includes a salary floor. Every team spends the same on players within a couple hundred grand. It wasn't what they spent, it was how they spent it.

Also Miller said before that Walters had the power of the GM while he was interim GM. He was out here making trades and signings and giving pressers. But suddenly he can't so the Burke presser because he's not really the GM?

I don't know if it's an ego thing but miller shouldn't have been the one making the announcement. It should have been Walters. And if he can't so it because of his title then relieve him of his duties.

Edit...

Well Miller sure has & if you're a Miller supporter you have to somehow get your head around that. He's done nothing but throw Mack under the bus. The way he talks I think he finds what Mack did contemptable.

On one of the final cjob coaches shows Burke said the Bombers were significantly below the cap.

And that would make sense, this year, as we haven't extended FA contracts like we have in the past. 

This year, with the dispersal draft looming and the new CBA coming up, it's no surprise they're below the cap.

I like the idea of Khari here, *IF* he gets experienced Coordinators.

Would love Burke as DC, wouldn't mind Kavis either. A guy like Worman as OC would be good too. Have to keep Craig as STC.

I wonder If we'll make a push for Glenn if Khari is HC. I would be pretty happy

It's a bullshit question and you know it that's why I didn't answer it. 

to be fair... i had misgivings about Pinball being made Toronto's HC... that worked out ok.

mind you, he had stud coordinators and position coaches. he also didn't come in with an existing track record of being an average (at best) coach.

This is what I was wondering about in another thread.  Pinball didn't strike me as much of an Xs and Os type of guy, but he did seem like the type of coach who could get the most out of his players - they would run through a brick wall for him. 

Khari could be the same kind of coach.  No way of knowing for sure right now.  However, if the Bombers are not able to hire the appropriate experienced coordinators then it will be that much more unlikely Khari will succeed...assuming he becomes head coach in the first place.

With exception to Edmonton and Ottawa. I'd take every CFL roster over ours right now.

BC - has the talent both on O and D, IMO the biggest problem there is Chapdelaine, which is why I'm shocked that some people want him here as the HC. Jacques is a product of the talent that Wally finds, and IMO it seems like every season BC has offensive issues until Wally tells Chap to get it together (happened again this season).

Edmonton - Reilly and Stamps that's about it.

Calgary - Really don't see the need to discuss this one.

Saskatchewan - Overall has a better roster than ours, but very little depth, so maybe I wouldn't want their team.

Toronto - Offense without question, defence no.

Hamilton - Yes, their D has vastly improved over last year, and their still young, so I suppose "what can they do next year" is the question ?

Montreal - Without question a talented group, even with Calvillo potentially retiring, it's still a solid roster.

Ottawa - ????? Guess we'lll have to wait an see.