Burke fired

Atomic

The Winnipeg Football Club announces today that Tim Burke will not return as Head Coach in 2014.

“We thank Tim for his passion, hard work and professionalism throughout the past year and a half he has been in this role, and for his tireless efforts over the past three seasons with the Winnipeg Football Club,” says President and CEO Wade Miller. “If an opportunity does arise for him to join our staff as a defensive coordinator, our organization would definitely be open to exploring this with Tim.”

“I’ve really enjoyed my time in Winnipeg and am grateful for the opportunity this franchise gave me. The fan support in this city and province is just really remarkable and it is one of the greatest things I can take away from this experience in Winnipeg,” said Burke.

Burke joined the Blue Bomber coaching staff prior to the 2011 season in the role of Defensive Coordinator, before taking over on an interim basis in August of 2011 and officially being named Head Coach on November 1, 2012.

No joy in a good, decent person being fired.  Good move for the Bombers but Tim Burke is a real person who just lost a dream job.

No, the joy is in the fact that we're getting a new head coach, not that he was fired.  I'd actually liked to have seen him stay on as DC.  But whatever.  He ****** up big time...and he did it often.  So, buh bye.

No joy in a good, decent person being fired.  Good move for the Bombers but Tim Burke is a real person who just lost a dream job.

It's only a dream job if its the right job for you. 

Burke never had a chance with this club. He should've stayed in MTL. With AC his first year he would've transitioned much better into a rookie HC.

Going back and forth with Penton on Twitter ...

He said Burke was "doomed" with the roster Mack gave him. I still stand by the fact that the import talent may not have been great, but Burke did absolutely nothing to turn those guys into better players.

I'll ask the question here, same as I asked Penton because I'm curious. Can anyone name an import player who actually improved with time during Tim Burke's stay as HC?

The way I interpret twitter chatter, Burke has all but been told he will remain as DC if the new HC wants him.  Which is weird.  But presumably Burke agreed to it.  Which is credit to him.

That, I hope, comes to fruition.  It would be nice to keep him.  I just hope they hire someone good.

He said Burke was "doomed" with the roster Mack gave him. I still stand by the fact that the import talent may not have been great, but Burke did absolutely nothing to turn those guys into better players.

I'll ask the question here, same as I asked Penton because I'm curious. Can anyone name an import player who actually improved with time during Tim Burke's stay as HC?

It's hard to measure this really.  You could argue a few players.  You could say Ian Wild and Desia Dunn were coached well enough to land starting jobs right away and did pretty good.  Terrell Parker, I 'd say got a bit better as well although he missed most of the season.

Max Hall I guess?  Do guys in their first year in the league count?  Sandro Deangelis went from a disaster to merely bad over the season.

The bottom line is that you can compare what Lapolice and Burke each did with the rosters that Joe Mack handed them and they had the same kind of build for all of them and one guy may not have won anymore but he got a hell of a lot more out of them than Tim Burke did. Now I don't view Lapolice as a great coach who can turn a terrible roster into a competitive one, I think he's a guy who coached not to lose nothing more but compared to Tim Burke he might as well be Wally Buono. Setting aside the roster issues that may or may not exist Burke did nothing last year or this year to show that he was a good head coach. 

Ottawa would be crazy to not look at Burke for DC.  But that would mean giving up his HC salary here.  I strongly suspect Miller wants to retain Burke (which is smart on multiple fronts) and the decision is probably made pending the announcement of Khari as HC.

Although it is interesting that Miller would publicly announce interest in Burke as DC when our own DC hasnt been fired yet.  if Im Creehan Im like "uhhh...what?"

Demond Washington maybe?  Will Ford?  Is it improvement if you are allowed to play?

The dominos will begin to fall. As Burke's agent I would suggest a buyout on my HC salary, but the Club will simply opt for salary continuance in the hope Burke takes a job elsewhere and they then stop paying him. If he wants the money stay as DC with my HC pay. I think he should go for a fresh start elsewhere .