Burke fired

Atomic

Name one thing Jones does that deserves a promotion to HC. And please dont say "players like him" because that was said for over ten years about Kavis Reed.

I don't think anyone in this board thinks there IS anything. But through rumours, and his connection to Miller, that's the general consensus right now. Things could certainly change depending on who they hire as GM, but the chatter right now is Jones.

I think most here would love to see Khari join the coaching staff -- as OC.

To be fair, if Khari surrounded himself with a proper staff then he could be quite successful here.

He fits the bill of what I want, I just don't like the optics.

If he gets a real good solid staff around him I don't see why he can't be successful. He's a smart guy and his team mates all said he was a hell of a leader, but he's such an unknown as a coach right now just really looks bad and is a big gamble. I think I'd be much more open to that gamble if it hadn't been such a **** show the last few years. 

To be fair, if Khari surrounded himself with a proper staff then he could be quite successful here.

If he gets a real good solid staff around him I don't see why he can't be successful. He's a smart guy and his team mates all said he was a hell of a leader, but he's such an unknown as a coach right now just really looks bad and is a big gamble. I think I'd be much more open to that gamble if it hadn't been such a **** show the last few years. 

Totally agree, but a lot of the candidates would be a gamble at this point.

I want to like the idea of Khari as a head coach but I'm just not sure.

Khari Jones with a sock-puppet of a GM being prodded by a highly "motivated" CEO is not a good situation. 

Wade should hire a quality football man and then get the firetruck out of football ops. 

Work on biz development and revenue streams. 

Khari Jones with a sock-puppet of a GM being prodded by a highly "motivated" CEO is not a good situation. 

Wade should hire a quality football man and then get the firetruck out of football ops. 

5CrTdgD.jpg

You could say that about justabout anyone.

Giving an average coaching talent like Jones the whistle when the org. is in such a precarious state is a mistake. WPG needs more of a proven commodity, who gives an impression of stability. Not a nostalgia, buddy hire who will be hailed as an "up and comer".

The move had to be made, and I'm sure Burke will find a spot elsewhere. Hopefully a new GM/HC is brought in relatively soon after the Grey Cup.

I guess this means that Creehan is guaranteed to be outta here soon as well, which IMO will be happier news.

Are people really that surprised about Dickenson not wanting to leave Calgary ?

5CrTdgD.jpg

You're right. I guess I failed to acknowledge the dozens of years he spent working in various CFL organizations building and rebuilding teams and producing Grey Cup winners. 

In fact, the last time I shook Wade's hand I felt like I was gripping steel he had so many Grey Cup rings. 

Hey I heard about Khari as HC two weeks ago...but that was chalked up to "drunk friends", nevermind that the source was a member of team management.

Anywho, the fact Khari could be the new HC might be the worst kept secret in the CFL so why would Dickenson say he wants the job if he knows Khari has it?

Also, I'd like to give credit to Burke for being pretty classy about this DC thing. The guy got fired and is saying he's interested in staying on in a demotion and saying all the right things.  Good on him.

Id also keep Creehan in a lesser role especially if Burke stays on.

to be fair... i had misgivings about Pinball being made Toronto's HC... that worked out ok.

mind you, he had stud coordinators and position coaches. he also didn't come in with an existing track record of being an average (at best) coach.

Khari as HC with burke as DC could be decent.  Hear me out.  As unsuccessful as Burke's time as HC was, he might be just the type of elder football statesman that a young HC needs.  Clearly, Burke is a gifted football man with decades of experience, he just wasnt a good HC.  But as far as stability in the coordinators role, thats as stable as it gets.

The bigger question is who's the OC.  Maybe my "source" had it wrong (and one of the people actually said "the names are right but backwards" which made no sense.  What if its Khari as HC and Matt as OC?  I know I know, why would Matt give up TSN for an OC gig.  Just speculating. lol

Ottawa would be crazy to not look at Burke for DC.  But that would mean giving up his HC salary here.  I strongly suspect Miller wants to retain Burke (which is smart on multiple fronts) and the decision is probably made pending the announcement of Khari as HC.

Although it is interesting that Miller would publicly announce interest in Burke as DC when our own DC hasnt been fired yet.  if Im Creehan Im like "uhhh...what?"

Creehan is gone & he knows it. I won't miss that nutbar on the sidelines.

Apparently all the assistant coaches have been dismissed.

Only way I think Khari works out is if they hire a full set of experienced coaches.

No pinching pennies and not having qb coaches and or bringing in unproven OCS etc....

I'd certainly feel more comfortable if we had hired Higgins and let him make the choices on hiring coaches.

Gary Lawless tweets that the Free Press can confirm Dave Dickenson is not interested in the Bombers HC gig at all (...I assume he called to check...) So no real big surprise there, but still a shame.

I'll wait until the actual check is waved in front of his face and we'll see if he still turns it down (if asked).

Asking him right now is dumb.  Anyone can say no.  But then someone comes along and puts money in front of you and says the HC job is all yours all of a sudden thing change.  It's like saying you'd never sleep with a hot prostitute, even if it was for free.  But wait until she strips naked in front of you and starts lap dancing you and all of a sudden your **** is taking over your brain.

Money isn't going to woo Dickenson.  He makes more as OC in Calgary than our last 2 head coaches were paid.  He is basically the head coach in waiting in his adopted hometown.  Nobody is going to leave that situation to come into a mess where the CEO wants to be the GM, board members want to be the CEO and the GM and coach are doomed to fail.

For an organization that is notorious for doing things on the cheap, leaving Walters as the permanent GM, hiring Khari as a HC and keeping Burke on as DC would seem to fit the bill perfectly.

(not saying either of the 3 is for sure, or that I'm necessarily against either move)

how do you it will be cheap? do  you have any figures to back it up?

Here is a 10 minute video of Wade Miller following the announcement that Tim Burke was fired. Miller discusses the firing of Tim Burke, his thoughts on possibly retaining Burke as a coordinator, and fields questions about the new GM and HC. When asked about Khari Jones specifically, he says he won't comment on potential HC candidates and let personal relationships influence his decision... he insists the GM will select the HC, not himself.

http://new.livestream.com/WinnipegFreePressNews/events/2544481/videos/34735766

From the WFP

For an organization that is notorious for doing things on the cheap, leaving Walters as the permanent GM, hiring Khari as a HC and keeping Burke on as DC would seem to fit the bill perfectly.

(not saying either of the 3 is for sure, or that I'm necessarily against either move)

how do you it will be cheap? do  you have any figures to back it up?

Sorry, I thought this fell in the category of common sense. Either way, my comment was not meant to strictly refer to money...more so the entire process seems like it *may* be done on the cheap (i.e. hiring/promoting those we know, while not interviewing outside potentials).