Press Conference: Traffic Woes

The only thing that really frustrated me was the fact that about a dozen "Not in Service" buses drove by Grant & Laxdal during the 30 minutes I was there (while 4 completely full "Stadium" buses also drove by without stopping). Why were there suddenly this many Not in Service buses in Charleswood? Was there no way to radio in and make some of these active when they saw that people at the stops were not being serviced at all? I was told there were hundreds still waiting at the start of the line (Assiniboia Downs) when a few of us strangers decided to carpool together and split parking (the people that drove ended up not wanting any of our money, in the end, which was a nice bonus).

I'm okay with their estimations being off -- who knew Winnipeggers would embrace transit?? -- but why they wouldn't have a back-up or contigency plan (when clearly they were able to throw one together to add more buses post-game) is beyond me.

Parking shouldn't be a concern.  There were a ton of lots on Pembina HWY that charged $10 and when I drove by at 6:45 there were lots of spots available.  There were some "unofficial" lots further south also that didnt mind people parking for night if they came in for a couple of drinks first.

I think this will al get worked out.  I dont think access is really an issue.  The biggest hurdle is the UofM's rules that wont allow access until 90 minutes before the game.  If they could change this, more people would arrive earlier.

I also agree there is plenty of land for some surface lots on campus.  As ugly as surface lots are, it would be cheap to throw down some gravel (look at the lot at Canad that was the old arena grounds...they didnt even charge for it).

Because they are basing their numbers on the data they have, which says Winnipeggers don't take the bus. Period. They were shocked at how well the fans listened to the message of "don't take your car" for once.

My solution? No parking at the u of m, period. Designate a bunch of large, spread out lots, away from campus and run a **** ton of shuttle buses every 5 minutes.

Or, failing that, teach the volunteers how to effectively direct traffic once on campus. Once you got past the bottleneck of idiots, there was open road all the way to the parking lot. Suggests things were not flowing correctly.

excellent call.. I was floored when I heard how many people bussed it.  I am so used to the winnipeg mentality of if I can drive, i am.  I never thought that many folks would be using transit, I truly didn't.  

To be completely honest, I think this whole thing is getting overblown by the media.  Now that's not to say yesterday wasn't a HUGE mess - because it clearly was - but they will figure things out and people will adjust.  I've heard complaints today from people already pre-complaining for the October games... I think once everyone figures out what works best for them and adjusts their schedule accordingly it'll be fine.  At Canad Inns I think we all knew what exact time we had to leave by to get there at whatever time we thought was appropriate, but we only figured out that 'sweet spot' through trial and error.

To be completely honest, I think this whole thing is getting overblown by the media.  Now that's not to say yesterday wasn't a HUGE mess - because it clearly was - but they will figure things out and people will adjust.  I've heard complaints today from people already pre-complaining for the October games... I think once everyone figures out what works best for them and adjusts their schedule accordingly it'll be fine.  At Canad Inns I think we all knew what exact time we had to leave by to get there at whatever time we thought was appropriate, but we only figured out that 'sweet spot' through trial and error.

bang on 100% people are so set in their ways that when change happens they freak.  everyone had their shortcuts, their special spots to park and whatnot.  Now, its all new and different and that makes people panic and in traditional Winnipeg style, prone to bitching, whining and complaining incessantly about it.   I get the ire and frustration but its so overblown.  Its not like its done on purpose or done with a spiteful angle.  Buchko, the board and the U of M directors arnt sitting there rubbing their hands together gleefully as this goes on.  It sucks but it is what it is..  there was literally no way to ensure there wouldn't be a problem of any measure.   No matter what, people were going to ***** about it.

bang on 100% people are so set in their ways that when change happens they freak.  everyone had their shortcuts, their special spots to park and whatnot.  Now, its all new and different and that makes people panic and in traditional Winnipeg style, prone to bitching, whining and complaining incessantly about it.   I get the ire and frustration but its so overblown.  Its not like its done on purpose or done with a spiteful angle.  Buchko, the board and the U of M directors arnt sitting there rubbing their hands together gleefully as this goes on.  It sucks but it is what it is..  there was literally no way to ensure there wouldn't be a problem of any measure.   No matter what, people were going to ***** about it.

So true people think they can hop in there cars half hour fourth five minutes before the game it's not going to work that way.

So true people think they can hop in there cars half hour fourth five minutes before the game it's not going to work that way.

That's probably true, but that is a major problem for the Bombers in the future that will lead to empty seats.  If you can't leave your house and be in the stadium within an hour or so, a lot of casual fans and even season ticket holders won't bother.

That's probably true, but that is a major problem for the Bombers in the future that will lead to empty seats.  If you can't leave your house and be in the stadium within an hour or so, a lot of casual fans and even season ticket holders won't bother.

That seems waaaaaaaaay too extreme.  The new stadium is actually closer to my house, close enough that I can ride my bike so this clearly affects me less, but to get to Canad Inns I used to leave about an hour and a half before game time.  That left me enough time to find a parking spot, walk to the stadium and still make sure to get the player intros and the rest of the opening ceremonies.

People will adjust, including casual fans.  How many of us really thought about how long it took us to get to Canad Inns?  I just accepted the fact that to get there at my desired time I had to leave 1.5 hours before.  Once people find their time, whether its 2 hours, 1 hour or 30 minutes they'll just get used to it.

And if anyone doesn't want their season tickets you can just mail a couple my way and I will happily suffer through the traffic for you. ;)

headdesk.gif

That seems waaaaaaaaay too extreme.  The new stadium is actually closer to my house, close enough that I can ride my bike so this clearly affects me less, but to get to Canad Inns I used to leave about an hour and a half before game time.  That left me enough time to find a parking spot, walk to the stadium and still make sure to get the player intros and the rest of the opening ceremonies.

People will adjust, including casual fans.  How many of us really thought about how long it took us to get to Canad Inns?  I just accepted the fact that to get there at my desired time I had to leave 1.5 hours before.  Once people find their time, whether its 2 hours, 1 hour or 30 minutes they'll just get used to it.

And if anyone doesn't want their season tickets you can just mail a couple my way and I will happily suffer through the traffic for you. ;)

An hour or a bit more.  Is it really feasible to expect people to leave their house earlier than 5:30 to see a 7:00 kickoff in Winnipeg?  The team on the field better be great if they expect to sellout. 

An hour or a bit more.  Is it really feasible to expect people to leave their house earlier than 5:30 to see a 7:00 kickoff in Winnipeg?  The team on the field better be great if they expect to sellout. 

I dunno, people at the south end would leave 1h+ before hand to make it to Canad Inns stadium. If you're willing to walk 30 mins (not much more than I walked at Canad Inns), there won't be any traffic issues at all.

I got on the bus at Woodhaven in St James around 5 35 or 5 40 and walked into the stadium about 10 minutes before they sang the anthem. Really wasn't that bad. They just need more buses because ours filled up with several stops remaining so we couldn't pick up anyone else. Easy fix.

I got on the bus at Woodhaven in St James around 5 35 or 5 40 and walked into the stadium about 10 minutes before they sang the anthem. Really wasn't that bad. They just need more buses because ours filled up with several stops remaining so we couldn't pick up anyone else. Easy fix.

This must be the bus I got on at Ferry, and I didn't even realize we turned people away. Things were worse than I thought. I sure hope it's sorted out by the home opener.

I used to leave my house at or before 5:30 for 7 pm games.  I considered that "normal" considering the increased traffic and where I lived (south end of the city).  People that live far away from this stadium will soon get used to their new normal too.

And on a side note, if buying tickets comes down to whether it will take 1 - 1.5 hours to get to the stadium I have to question your motives for going to the game at all (I mean this generally, not to you personally).  

I dunno, people at the south end would leave 1h+ before hand to make it to Canad Inns stadium. If you're willing to walk 30 mins (not much more than I walked at Canad Inns), there won't be any traffic issues at all.

Bingo.  Leave early, park somewhere and walk in to the stadium.  Did it for years at the old one and while I realize that I have benefitted from the location change, I think others will find a plan that works for them.

I dunno, people at the south end would leave 1h+ before hand to make it to Canad Inns stadium. If you're willing to walk 30 mins (not much more than I walked at Canad Inns), there won't be any traffic issues at all

Exactly. Not very many people work till 6:00. Most are 7-3, 8-4 or work compressed and go something like 7-4:30. The majority of people can easily leave with enough time, all this crap about it not being possible for the majority of people is just that, crap. It's one night of the week, one night, park and ride to work, have your stuff in your car, bus back to your vehicle, pick up your stuff, bus to the stadium. Plenty of other ways you can change yoru routine too that I'm sure you can think of if you spent 5 min thinking. Course most people(in Winnipeg) think the world revolves around them, so if they have to do anything slightly inconvenient they they cry bullshit.

and yeah I also would have to leave by 5:15-5:30 to get to 7 pm games at the St. James location, didn't require taking the day off work or anything...

I would've happily left earlier to catch an earlier bus. Instead, I got there for the first bus on the schedule and still saw them all pass by. And I also tend to not complain about anything -- I hate it how whiny people get in this city. But when I pay for tickets and can't get to the stadium until over a quarter of the game is done -- even though I tried to follow the Bombers' and Winnipeg Transit's schedules and give myself extra time just in case -- that's a bit frustrating.

(At the same time, it's an exhibition game, and I care so little about them that I might've even skipped it had it not been in a new stadium. So I'm not really mad or demanding refunds or any of that crap. But I was still frustrated yesterday, especially when it could've been avoided with some proper foresight.)

headdesk.gif

Agree with Bluto. JBR's attitude to this is ridiculous. Try making a statement like that and living in a real city like TO, heck they have to wait an hour just to go to work every day. Stay home if you think you're that important. Winnipeg transit failed miserably though for this exhibition game, hopefully they are smart enough to learn, although they will have trouble regardless, without the proper infrastructure being in place.

I used to leave an hour & a half at the latest to get to a Bomber game before I moved to Calgary. I'd rather be early than late. I had no problem doing that.

From what came out of the press conference, just a lot of poor planning. Underestimated bus ridership, bike ridership etc. They handled the leaving well, so assuming they have more buses, more police directing traffic, a dedicated bus lane etc should work out ok.

Yeah, agreed. Let's hope so.

Honestly guys, if your solution to the problem is people will get used to leaving two hours before game time then you're going to lose casual fans.  People will get used to watching the game at home on their 60 inch screens for 1/12th of the cost (chips and store bought beer) and devoting 7 to 9:30 to the game instead of 5 till 11:30. 

Everybody has different life situations and I don't pretend to know yours.  Without getting into specifics the scenarios your describe wouldn't work for me.  Well, I would make them work because I am more than a casual fan but I can guarantee you my neighbours would be at home and people like my neighbours are the difference between 25,000 and 30,000.  Also known as the difference between paying off that 4 mill a year or not.