Tom Higgins interested in Bombers GM job

gbill2004

After reading that article it's evident that:

Lawless is promoting Walters.

Timing will be an issue for the WFC:

- as in acquiring a QB, a top priority.

- hiring a HC, we'll probably be in competition with 2 other teams. (Mont & Edm)

Miller's target date of Dec1 for hiring a GM affects the decision making of potential candidates if the 1st two priorities are already filled. I can see an applicant living with a QB choice but a HC hiring may derail an applicant's decision.

Is that too long to wait to hire a new HC?

Miller has spoken with Higgins and Worman(??) Interesting indeed.

Miller defined what he wants in a GM, but, to me, it doesn't sound like he has already settled on one, including Walters.

Agree. I was also wondering about the mindset of an applicant for a head coaching position; will they choose to walk into a situation where they don't even know who their GM is going to be? If this was their only offer, I guess they'd take the leap, but if they are interviewing and being courted elsewhere, why would they choose Winnipeg, with no idea who their direct superior would be?

When Jim Popp was hired by the Als, he had 1 year of prior player personnel experience.  Prior to that he was a receivers coach.   

When John Hufnagel was hired by the Stamps as head coach and GM.  His only player personnel experience was 2 years  with  the Arena league.   

When Wally Buono was hired as the GM of the BC Lions.  That was his first player personnel job, previous CFL positions were all in a coaching roll. 

When Jim Barker was hired by the Stamps in 2005.  This was his first GM position as well.     

So history shows that GM's can be successful without previous experience.     Also all of these guys were hired by teams who were struggling at the time.

When Jim Popp was hired by the Als, he had 1 year of prior player personnel experience.  Prior to that he was a receivers coach.   

When John Hufnagel was hired by the Stamps as head coach and GM.  His only player personnel experience was 2 years  with  the Arena league.   

When Wally Buono was hired as the GM of the BC Lions.  That was his first player personnel job, previous CFL positions were all in a coaching roll. 

When Jim Barker was hired by the Stamps in 2005.  This was his first GM position as well.     

So history shows that GM's can be successful without previous experience.     Also all of these guys were hired by teams who were struggling at the time.

Just to add to this post:

Jim Popp was Riders Director of Player Personnel as well as their receivers coach in 1992 & 93. Became GM of Baltimore in 1994.

John Hufnaagel was Head Coach & General Manager of New Jersey in the Arena Football League in 1997 & 1998.

Wally Buono took on the dual role as Head Coach & GM of the Stampeders in 1992 when former GM Normie Kwong decided to retire.

Jim Barker already was Head Coach but also became Stamps Player Personnel Director in 2003 when Manny Julias was fired.

I have no idea. But what made a glorified salesman at a radio station qualified to run a professional football club, especially with a brand new facility to manage also?

Some people have the skillset above and beyond their current job. I have no problem with rewarding skill and intelligence but many of us predicted he would crap out.

Do you know anything about his background other than he worked in radio? I know you used to bounce at the Lid for years but I'm not going to say that doesn't qualify you for anything else since I have no clue what other work history or education you have going for you.

That's a pretty silly comparison. And by the way I'm not qualified to be CEO of a pro football team.

David Asper would buy this team tomorrow. But not with $90 million debt.

Wade Miller is the real GM. So it really doesnt matter.

this. and is it such a horrible thing? knows the bombers, knows the cfl inside and out. ran a few successful businesses...

i consider miller to be a smart guy... hes also a survivor and played a long time with minimum skills... he as an "overseer" of a rookie gm in walters might not be a terrible idea... but dont get it twisted, id much rather the traditional method of an experienced GM with an assistant..

this. and is it such a horrible thing? knows the bombers, knows the cfl inside and out. ran a few successful businesses...

i consider miller to be a smart guy... hes also a survivor and played a long time with minimum skills... he as an "overseer" of a rookie gm in walters might not be a terrible idea... but dont get it twisted, id much rather the traditional method of an experienced GM with an assistant..

Miller may be a successfull businessman, but he's not a football ops personnel.

Wade should focus more on making the right GM hire and once that's done solely focus on the business side. Seems to work everywhere else.

Miller may be a successfull businessman, but he's not a football ops personnel.

Wade should focus more on making the right GM hire and once that's done solely focus on the business side. Seems to work everywhere else.

Well you know what.  Miller wasn't a businessman before he started Pinnacle, he was a football player.  Some people have what it takes to be successful in everything thy do.   I'm sure many people doubted him then too.  

Miller didn't need this job.  He's doing quite well right now and could probably retire right now and just let the money roll in from Pinnacle.  But guys like him need to be challenged and prove to themselves that they can succeed in other fields.  I expect him to succeed and turn this team around. 

I honestly think that most Winnipegers are jealous of people who are successful.  In Calgary we celebrate our successful entrepreneurs not vilify them.  I guess that's the difference. 

Is this a complaint? Do we want a guy as President  who doesn't need the job? How hard will he work if he has other business interests? Will he be distracted?

The man LOVES the Bombers. He's doing this because it's killing him to watch them suffer like this, and watch the legacy of the franchise be tarnished this way. He's already said that due to his partners in the other jobs, he'll have the time to give the Bombers Presidency his full attention. 

I LOVE the Bombers too. Does that mean I get to be CEO next?

Passion for the product or the brand is extremely important when your leading a company.  But I doubt you bring anything else of value to the job. 

Have you started a company from scratch and built it in to a multi million dollar venture?   

Not quite sure how I feel about this.  Two sides of the coin really.

1 - great that they would bring back past Bombers to attempt to win back the fanbase

2 - not-so-great that its back to de-facto rookies in their fields.  Khari as Coach is a big risk... Dunnigan as GM is an even bigger risk in my opinion.

Would that mean we get no more installments of the fine "Road Griller" cooking show?  <sarcasm>