Tom Higgins interested in Bombers GM job

gbill2004

Just seems so odd that Gary would pump Walters tires like this. 

Atrocious season, the team is NOT doing any better or "coming on strong" after Mack, and Gary is championing the current assistant for the big chair. 

They've been slowly telling us that Walters will be GM for 2 months, now Gary is in on the sales pitch. 

Just fricken make him the GM already. God this franchise is lame. 

Pretty much agree.  Gary has had a lot of very inside stuff on the Joe Mack era.  Examples, who Kyle Walters really wanted to draft, the Kevin Glenn stuff etc.  .  Reasonable to assume that comes from Walters.  So Gary is returning a favour.  

I don't necessarily think Kyle is wrong for the job but no way he's the most qualified.  Remember, he only got the AGM job because Joe wanted to protect his own hide by having a someone in that chair who was completely unqualified to take over from him.  

I don't necessarily think Kyle is wrong for the job but no way he's the most qualified.  Remember, he only got the AGM job because Joe wanted to protect his own hide by having a someone in that chair who was completely unqualified to take over from him.  

not this **** again.... You wanna throw accusations like that out there let's have some proof, otherwise we can just assume that Walters got that job cause he was a good choice for it. The fact that Miller is adamant that he wants to keep Walters around no matter the role should be an indication that he's a good option for it. 

not this **** again.... You wanna throw accusations like that out there let's have some proof, otherwise we can just assume that Walters got that job cause he was a good choice for it. The fact that Miller is adamant that he wants to keep Walters around no matter the role should be an indication that he's a good option for it. 

Or its an indication that Miller knows that with Walters as GM he could have a lot of say in personnel/team matters that he wouldn't have if a Buono/Higgins type was GM. Which is why he's been slowly championing him from day one.  

Higgins hasn't been a GM in the salary cap era either, personally I don't particularly want him.

That's what your AGM is for. Walters would still be there...and that's something where he'd shine. Helping Higgins work the books. Higgins strength lies elsewhere...brings a lot more to the table.

It's been Walters job to lose since they gave it to him in the first place.  He hasn't done anything to lose it, so he is the guy.  Might as well make it official on Monday.  Same goes for Miller.

What could he do in half of a season to lose it?  Trading a 2nd round pick for a NI OL prospect with a broken leg that hasn't healed since June with a bloated contract is pretty close for me.

Walters in the big chair permanently is just the Football Club being cheap and lazy.  Burke staying as head coach will be more of the same.

If I am a betting man the Bombers are over the cap. Mack got rid of the guy that did almost every contract and managed the cap completely. The BoD and CEO tried to then ram Duane Forde down his throat and how did that go. They got rid of the wrong guy who was the stabilizing factor in football ops.

If I am a betting man the Bombers are over the cap. Mack got rid of the guy that did almost every contract and managed the cap completely. The BoD and CEO tried to then ram Duane Forde down his throat and how did that go. They got rid of the wrong guy who was the stabilizing factor in football ops.

Yeah, yeah we all know you love Ross Hodgkinson.  Let it go already.

I never understood the hate for Ross, but at the same time, I never understood the love. 

To me, the ultimate testament to his abilities (or lack thereof) was when he was let go -- was he able to surface somewhere else in the CFL?

If the answer is no, then he probably wasn't suited to the job.

I never understood the hate for Ross, but at the same time, I never understood the love. 

To me, the ultimate testament to his abilities (or lack thereof) was when he was let go -- was he able to surface somewhere else in the CFL?

If the answer is no, then he probably wasn't suited to the job.

And yet the guy who does the same job in BC, with almost minimal personnel involvement, is a candidate to run our entire football operations according to some. :wacko:

In an 9 team league it isn't like there is a huge amount of turnover and job opportunities. The only change in the football ops area was in Edmonton. Ryan Wagner who quit because of Tillman returned after Tillman was fired. Otherwise Hodgkinson had a legitimate shot at that position. People want to make things here about love or hate. I don't understand it.

After reading that article it's evident that:

Lawless is promoting Walters.

Timing will be an issue for the WFC:

- as in acquiring a QB, a top priority.

- hiring a HC, we'll probably be in competition with 2 other teams. (Mont & Edm)

Miller's target date of Dec1 for hiring a GM affects the decision making of potential candidates if the 1st two priorities are already filled. I can see an applicant living with a QB choice but a HC hiring may derail an applicant's decision.

Is that too long to wait to hire a new HC?

Miller has spoken with Higgins and Worman(??) Interesting indeed.

Miller defined what he wants in a GM, but, to me, it doesn't sound like he has already settled on one, including Walters.

i think Lawless is right. i also suspect that he might have been given a knowing wink from Miller so that he can run this up the flagpole.

in any other season (one without a dispersal draft) and under most other circumstances (like not being desperate for a QB and/or having a lameduck HC) it would virtuallly be a no-brainer to bring in a Higgins-type... but this season is different. and i think that a fast and adaptable organization ought to be able to (as Lawless says) already have a handshake deal with Barker and have had discussed terms with Collaros' agent... and should already have a HC on standby to name the second day of the offseason (after Burke gets relieved of his duties but before the dispersal draft).

I have a hard time following the logic of allowing Walters to hire a coach if he's not the GM in waiting. It would be beyond stupid to have anybody but the new GM do it.

I'm ok with Walters if that's who they ultimately decide on, but I really hope they are being truthful about doing a full search before giving it him.

After reading that article it's evident that:

Lawless is promoting Walters.

Timing will be an issue for the WFC:

- as in acquiring a QB, a top priority.

- hiring a HC, we'll probably be in competition with 2 other teams. (Mont & Edm)

Miller's target date of Dec1 for hiring a GM affects the decision making of potential candidates if the 1st two priorities are already filled. I can see an applicant living with a QB choice but a HC hiring may derail an applicant's decision.

Is that too long to wait to hire a new HC?

Miller has spoken with Higgins and Worman(??) Interesting indeed.

Miller defined what he wants in a GM, but, to me, it doesn't sound like he has already settled on one, including Walters.

Miller's had 1/2 a season to chart a course of action and define what he wants.  If he has already spoken to the other horses in the running... then there is no reason he shouldn't be able to name a guy on Monday, and move forward.