Tom Higgins interested in Bombers GM job

gbill2004

Yeah, Lawless is on glue.  As great as Walters may be, I personally don't want some rookie GM to come in and "try" to do what he thinks is best.  I'd prefer a proven guy like Higgins.  We need someone who's made winning teams at both GM and HC.  The Bombers just shouldn't be taking any chances right now.  I don't think they can afford it.

Just seems so odd that Gary would pump Walters tires like this. 

Atrocious season, the team is NOT doing any better or "coming on strong" after Mack, and Gary is championing the current assistant for the big chair. 

They've been slowly telling us that Walters will be GM for 2 months, now Gary is in on the sales pitch. 

Just fricken make him the GM already. God this franchise is lame. 

if HIggins is available it would stupid not to kick the tires for him. he is a winner wherever he goes. i dont think Walters will be offended if he will end as #2 to the most deserving guy.

here's a 'conspiracy' thought...  :P 

could it be Miller, Walters and Higgins have a gentleman agreement already and only a formalization is need that the latter will be the next GM in Winnipeg. and all Walter's future actions are with Higgins knowledge (and blessing) ?

So according to Lawless, he thinks that Walters is putting his stamp on the team, and will hire a new coach; basically in a move to piss on his territory, and scare off other potential GM's?  And make what will be an expensive financial and personnel move to acquire a starting QB?

Get your head out of your ass for a second Lawless, and realize that something as significant as these 2 items in particular CANNOT happen until there is a permanent GM named.  You think we're going to hell in a handbasket now... this kind of salary commitment would hamstring us for ANOTHER 3 years.  I guess never say never, especially with the Bombers... but surely they can't be stupid enough to acquire the 2 most significant hires without a permanent GM in place.

Lawless definitely thinks they should go with Walters.

Miller, I'm not so sure.

I'm trying my best to read between the lines of that article. I can't tell if Miller gave Lawless the "off the record" scoop and that's why Lawless is touting Walters as the for-sure next GM, or if it's just Lawless being Lawless. 

I've got no problem with Walters, and I understand the logic to "...We can't have Kyle hire a new coach, trade for a new QB, and then hire someone to come in and take over the team and inherit Kyle's moves..." but I still think I'd prefer to have someone with more experience while KW learns. It'd be nice if it was someone that KW approved of, so they could work together amicably. If that's Higgins, awesome...let's get it done.

It's been Walters job to lose since they gave it to him in the first place.  He hasn't done anything to lose it, so he is the guy.  Might as well make it official on Monday.  Same goes for Miller.

He hasn't done anything to win it either.

Seriously though.  We just went through this with LaPolice, Burke, Crowton, Mack, etc...  Why are some of you ready to accept yet another rookie to do the job that we need a veteran to do?  You're going to be the same people next year complaining that "Why oh why did we give Walters the job?...Why do the bombers keep hiring these rookie's?".  Why are you ok with this when all it's done is bring us to failure in the past?

You guys make me laugh.

I dunno everything from Miller in that piece seems to indicate to me that Miller prefers some one other than Walters for the GM role. Lawless is just spinning his own opinions as facts here which is nothing new. 

That's what I was thinking myself.  Miller's quotes didn't sound like he was totally behind Walters starting even though Lawless was fluffing Walters cushions.  Lawless reminds me of a guy that just wants people to fail so that he can bash them at a later date.

If Miller's comment about him being involved in football ops doesn't make people nervous...it should. Read whatever you want into that or not he is driving this bus anyone else is likely if they get to ride shotgun. When Higgins name doesn't get stamped on the job you will know why. Higgins has that situation figured out and his name will quietly fade into the sunset. People in Winnipeg will be left to try and put a spin on the thanks but no thanks.

I think the point Lawless is making (and Miller certainly seemed to confirm that if you read the article past the by-line) was that Walters *does* have the power to hire a Coach & trade for a QB.

Of course he does.  Anyone in the GM chair has the power to do it.  But the GM reports to Miller, who reports to the Board. 

There's no chance in hell that Walters hires an HC without the concurrence that the entire ship anoints him the Captain.

If they're going to do it, they should do it Monday.  They've had a half season to interview candidates and take stock of the situation. 

Kyle Walters has 20 years of Canadian football experience he has run his own program in OUA he has played and coached in the league. Personally I think he is ready for this.

I'm not 100% comfortable with him in the lead chair right now, when we could have a vet with experience, like Higgins, help guide the way. I do think he WILL be the guy at some point. I'm a big fan of Walters work ethic and his commitment to turning around this franchise. If he and Higgins (..or another respected veteran...) were able to work together toward a common goal, I really think that would be our best case scenario.

Kyle Walters has 20 years of Canadian football experience he has run his own program in OUA he has played and coached in the league. Personally I think he is ready for this.

I'm not 100% comfortable with him in the lead chair right now, when we could have a vet with experience, like Higgins, help guide the way. I do think he WILL be the guy at some point. I'm a big fan of Walters work ethic and his commitment to turning around this franchise. If he and Higgins (..or another respected veteran...) were able to work together toward a common goal, I really think that would be our best case scenario.

Agreed 100%, but a quality football man like Higgins (or especially Buono, Huffer) would smell right away that Miller will be meddling in football ops and balk at the deal

Isn't it interesting that just a few months ago Miller was saying he'd have nothing to do with personnel? How things have changed. 

If Walters is the new GM on paper -- which he obviously will be -- then personnel decisions will basically be "by GM Walters, pending Miller's approval."

For God sake, you think Wettenhall has such a system with Popp?