Tom Higgins interested in Bombers GM job

gbill2004

Well.. Something I don't get is that no one is going to want to come here as a GM if Miller will be meddling. Not sure I agree. A GM will sign on for three years and build the team as they see fit. Miller can ***** all he wants but his hands are tied other then perhaps laying out a budget for personnel and coaching staffs. miller is not going to be able to fire the GM in the first or second year due to finacial hardships to pay out the contract and the optics of it all.

Which brings me to my second point. Any GM is going to get a 3 year contract, presumably, and be set with a steady income with the upside that they can transform a truly horrible team into something really competive. If they get fired they take a hit to their ego and continued to get paid.

Pro sport are very competitive and so are all the player, coaching and management staffs. They All want to show what they can do to the rest of the league.

Walters May be okay but it will only reinforce to the fan base and the rest of the league that the bombers are a joke and continue to promote people from within that are already part of the problem. If they weren't the team would be doing alot better.

I know this. Comparing football to baseball is like comparing apples to oranges. Football is much more technical than baseball. If I am a coach &  I say to my personnel guy on the team that I need an offensive lineman & the guy I want must have certain traits can he find me someone quickly? If a personnel guy can't evaaluate a DVD or go to a game & isn't able to see what certain players are doing on every play then how can they find someone that a coach needs? If attending a game is just a mass of humanity in a huge pile because everything happens so fast well then there is a problem. That's why guys like Miles Gorrell or Rick Worman are hired to do those jobs because they know & understand the game at the pro level. If you guys think a plumber can come in & do an engineers job you're mistaken. Now, if someone actually can break down film & know what to look for then fine.The perfect fit for a personnel guy would be someone who knows the game at the college & pro level, has contacts & has a business degree to take care of the cap & negotiate contracts.

It isn't so much that Baseball isn't technical, it is, however the additional complexity of football (Baseball is essentially a bunch of 1 v 1 matchups and easy statistics) makes statistical analysis more difficult.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Football "Moneyballed" sometime in the future with the increase in our ability to use automated video analysis.  Almost something like what they are starting to do in Basketball with the analysis of player movement around the court.

maybe its time to let Miller go and find a CEO that isn't so power hungry? He is just Interim so it wouldn't be that big a blow.

I'm not so sure that is necessary.  A well-qualified GM hire would spell it out in his contract a-la-Duane-Forde... "Full Control over day-to-day football operations."  And get it.

To football ops... the CEO should be nothing more than sounding board, and a financial checkpoint.

I dont know Miller and Lyle did some great things here but maybe we dont need that sort of CEO who openly says he will be involved in football ops.  Perhaps we need a CEO from outside the organization with no ties to the Bombers.  Buchko was unqualified and in conflict from his time negotating deals with the club on behalf of CJOB.

Although I'd still love to hear an official reason for Buchko's dismissal.  He must have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in a short amount of time.

I dont know Miller and Lyle did some great things here but maybe we dont need that sort of CEO who openly says he will be involved in football ops. Perhaps we need a CEO from outside the organization with no ties to the Bombers. Buchko was unqualified and in conflict from his time negotating deals with the club on behalf of CJOB.

Although I'd still love to hear an official reason for Buchko's dismissal. He must have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in a short amount of time.

Heard Asper was jealous of Buchko's frosted tips.

I dont know Miller and Lyle did some great things here but maybe we dont need that sort of CEO who openly says he will be involved in football ops.  Perhaps we need a CEO from outside the organization with no ties to the Bombers.  Buchko was unqualified and in conflict from his time negotating deals with the club on behalf of CJOB.

Although I'd still love to hear an official reason for Buchko's dismissal.  He must have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way in a short amount of time.

If Buchko was unqualified what makes Skulsky, Rhodes, Norrie, Rudge, Mitchell, Gibson, Ash, and Weightman qualified ?

I have no idea.  But what made a glorified salesman at a radio station qualified to run a professional football club, especially with a brand new facility to manage also?

Some people have the skillset above and beyond their current job. I have no problem with rewarding skill and intelligence but many of us predicted he would crap out. 

I have no idea.  But what made a glorified salesman at a radio station qualified to run a professional football club, especially with a brand new facility to manage also?

Some people have the skillset above and beyond their current job. I have no problem with rewarding skill and intelligence but many of us predicted he would crap out. 

So you really have no idea, you just don't think the optics are right?

So you really have no idea, you just don't think the optics are right?

With Buchko?  Im not the only one that thought it was a bad hire, that he was unqualified and that his hiring coming after negotiating a new deal with CJOB stunk.

And guess what, we were right!  He crapped out.

Do you know anything about his background other than he worked in radio?  I know you used to bounce at the Lid for years but I'm not going to say that doesn't qualify you for anything else since I have no clue what other work history or education you have going for you.

If Walters is smart (and he seems to be) he would let Miller hire a GM and stay as AGM.  He has witnessed up close in person how many careers have been ruined in Bomber land the last few seasons.  Butchko,Crowton, Lapolice, Burke, Mack, etc. may never see another job in the CFL with the except of maybe Lapolice and possibly Burke going back to DC somewhere.  If he's smart he will sit back and learn for a few more years under what we all hope will be an experienced GM and not jump the gun to quickly and lose any respect he has gained in the league.

Buchko managed public perception of the mistakes made in the new stadium process EXTREMELY poorly.

Strike 1

Buchko managed public perception of his retention of Joe Mack extremely poorly

Strike 2

Buchko's hair / Season ticket stuff I guess

Strike 3

Joe Mack firing leak........

Buchko managed public perception of the mistakes made in the new stadium process EXTREMELY poorly.

Strike 1

Buchko managed public perception of his retention of Joe Mack extremely poorly

Strike 2

Buchko's hair / Season ticket stuff I guess

Strike 3

Joe Mack firing leak........

He didn't leak it and the BoD said they had been discussing Buchko for some time before that happened.

If Walters is smart (and he seems to be) he would let Miller hire a GM and stay as AGM.  He has witnessed up close in person how many careers have been ruined in Bomber land the last few seasons.  Butchko,Crowton, Lapolice, Burke, Mack, etc. may never see another job in the CFL with the except of maybe Lapolice and possibly Burke going back to DC somewhere.  If he's smart he will sit back and learn for a few more years under what we all hope will be an experienced GM and not jump the gun to quickly and lose any respect he has gained in the league.

Burke ruined himself...didn't need any help from anyone

Higgins would be the best choice for this team - proven track record both as a GM and coach.  Connections down south allowed the Esks to be a perennial contender year-in and year-out due to all the talent he brought in (Ray the most obvious example of that). 

Why would the Bombers even consider Walter as the GM?  What experience does he bring to the table?  What connections does he have with US colleges or NFL teams(for player cuts)? 

Higgins would be the best choice for this team - proven track record both as a GM and coach.  Connections down south allowed the Esks to be a perennial contender year-in and year-out due to all the talent he brought in (Ray the most obvious example of that). 

Why would the Bombers even consider Walter as the GM?  What experience does he bring to the table?  What connections does he have with US colleges or NFL teams(for player cuts)? 

The interesting thing about Ray is that he was recommended to the esks by Rick Worman

The interesting thing about Ray is that we were actually scouting him when we discovered Charlie Roberts on the same tape, and got distracted with that, and forgot about Frito all together. Not sure if it was Worman of Wah Wickman that found them in the first place...