Tom Higgins interested in Bombers GM job

gbill2004

Miller's had 1/2 a season to chart a course of action and define what he wants.  If he has already spoken to the other horses in the running... then there is no reason he shouldn't be able to name a guy on Monday, and move forward.

Unless, of course, he's already employed somewhere.

How do you have a HC on standby when some of the best candidates might be involved in the Grey Cup? What if Collaris' agent says I want to wait and see if I get a better deal in free agency? Some real potential hiccups bending.

both are very easily accomplished... really not sure if you're serious.

Miller likely already knows who he wants for GM candidates and in what order, not too hard to see how aggressive he is. Then it's a matter of talking to any that he has in mind, and in at least two cases he has apparently done so. He might not get who he wants at top, and the new GM might not get who is his first pick for HC, that's life in the big city. It is obvious though, that Miller and Walters will work through this and do what they think is best for the team. I also don't think $$ will be the issue this year.

For those of you who have already anointed Tom Higgins as the next coming....If he does become GM...just hope you're right, or the crying and gnashing of teeth will be something to behold.

If I am a betting man the Bombers are over the cap. Mack got rid of the guy that did almost every contract and managed the cap completely. The BoD and CEO tried to then ram Duane Forde down his throat and how did that go. They got rid of the wrong guy who was the stabilizing factor in football ops.

Burke said a few weeks ago that the Bombers were significantly below the cap.

If I am a betting man the Bombers are over the cap. Mack got rid of the guy that did almost every contract and managed the cap completely. The BoD and CEO tried to then ram Duane Forde down his throat and how did that go. They got rid of the wrong guy who was the stabilizing factor in football ops.

Yeah, yeah we all know you love Ross Hodgkinson.  Let it go already.

A physiotherapist that was handling financials. Any wonder this team is  totally effed up?

Yeah, yeah we all know you love Ross Hodgkinson.  Let it go already.

Edit. Double post deleted.

Well another careful well crafted rebuttal. How it goes from managing and making the cap during his tenure to being responsible for the financial state of the club is something that I am hoping you might explain.

Just heard lots of negative stories about the guy. Wasn't well liked. Lyle Bauer's buddy. He never played the game at a high level. How can someone truly be in personnel if they have no experience coaching or playing at least at the CIS or NCAA level? How can Ross evaluate talent? I mean, if Hodgkinson was such a valuable guy to have around why is he still unemployed? He was let go last off season. No other CFL team has seen fit to hire him since which tells me what other teams think of him. If he was that good he'd have been working by now.

You want to adhere to the theory that you need to have played at a high level to be involved in player evaluation or coaching? Perhaps you should get your hands on a bio and see what is background. He comes from a similar situation as Craig Heisinger AGM of the Jets and GM of their.

There are a number of past and current players on the team and in the cfl that he scouted and brought into the league.

The irony of it is because people didn't pump his tires or even knew what he did they want to dismiss it as....Mack got rid of him so he must have been a bad dude. Nobody hired him in a small league with limited opportunities must have been a bad dude. Bauer's buddy....another strike.

Well now you have Asper and Dunn's buddy Miller so start keeping score of that one my friend.

Well another careful well crafted rebuttal. How it goes from managing and making the cap during his tenure to being responsible for the financial state of the club is something that I am hoping you might explain.

Just heard lots of negative stories about the guy. Wasn't well liked. Lyle Bauer's buddy. He never played the game at a high level. How can someone truly be in personnel if they have no experience coaching or playing at least at the CIS or NCAA level? How can Ross evaluate talent? I mean, if Hodgkinson was such a valuable guy to have around why is he still unemployed? He was let go last off season. No other CFL team has seen fit to hire him since which tells me what other teams think of him. If he was that good he'd have been working by now.

Major League Baseball is chalked full of player personnel people that's only have graduate degrees in statistics.

I know this. Comparing football to baseball is like comparing apples to oranges. Football is much more technical than baseball. If I am a coach &  I say to my personnel guy on the team that I need an offensive lineman & the guy I want must have certain traits can he find me someone quickly? If a personnel guy can't evaaluate a DVD or go to a game & isn't able to see what certain players are doing on every play then how can they find someone that a coach needs? If attending a game is just a mass of humanity in a huge pile because everything happens so fast well then there is a problem. That's why guys like Miles Gorrell or Rick Worman are hired to do those jobs because they know & understand the game at the pro level. If you guys think a plumber can come in & do an engineers job you're mistaken. Now, if someone actually can break down film & know what to look for then fine.The perfect fit for a personnel guy would be someone who knows the game at the college & pro level, has contacts & has a business degree to take care of the cap & negotiate contracts.

Things I learned today:

a) Gary wants Walters hired, big time.  I am struggling to believe he actually loves Walters so much that he would write about this for that reason.  Probably makes his job easier because if Walters fails, Gary can write about how the team shouldn't have hired internally.  

B) Gary is unable to name any other GM candidates other than ones that actually already are GMs. Man if we really miss out on hiring this Buono guy we're screwed!

c) Gary does not believe hiring an external GM will give them enough time to actually build a team.  For this reason, we need to promote Walters so that he can sign a coach and trade for a QB the exact minute after Toronto's season ends.  The exact minute, you hear me?  Because if not, we're going to take a few days to find a GM and then all the players will already be gone.  By mid-December.

d) Gary is still not very good at his job.

Things I learned today:

a) Gary wants Walters hired, big time.  I am struggling to believe he actually loves Walters so much that he would write about this for that reason.  Probably makes his job easier because if Walters fails, Gary can write about how the team shouldn't have hired internally.  

B) Gary is unable to name any other GM candidates other than ones that actually already are GMs. Man if we really miss out on hiring this Buono guy we're screwed!

c) Gary does not believe hiring an external GM will give them enough time to actually build a team.  For this reason, we need to promote Walters so that he can sign a coach and trade for a QB the exact minute after Toronto's season ends.  The exact minute, you hear me?  Because if not, we're going to take a few days to find a GM and then all the players will already be gone.  By mid-December.

d) Gary is still not very good at his job.

I'll take D

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk 10h

.@Pat_Sokol As soon as Miller said Walters would be here no matter what, that basically excluded anyone from outside organization.

Kirk Penton @PentonKirk 10h

.@Pat_Sokol No legitimate candidates want the #Bombers job because they are worried Miller is going to meddle.

1. @CFL_News @PentonKirk @Pat_Sokol who are these legit candidates you think we are missing out on?

2. @DonBaete @CFL_News @Pat_Sokol I shouldn't say "no" candidates. There are some, however.

3. @PentonKirk again i ask who is a legit candidate? There isn't much out there with a glowing CFL gm resume is there

4. @DonBaete Tom Higgins, Eric Tillman, Neil McEvoy, John Murphy, Jeremy O'Day … guys who have more experience than Walters.

Kyle Walters has 20 years of Canadian football experience he has run his own program in OUA he has played and coached in the league. Personally I think he is ready for this.

I'm not 100% comfortable with him in the lead chair right now, when we could have a vet with experience, like Higgins, help guide the way. I do think he WILL be the guy at some point. I'm a big fan of Walters work ethic and his commitment to turning around this franchise. If he and Higgins (..or another respected veteran...) were able to work together toward a common goal, I really think that would be our best case scenario.

Agreed 100%, but a quality football man like Higgins (or especially Buono, Huffer) would smell right away that Miller will be meddling in football ops and balk at the deal

Isn't it interesting that just a few months ago Miller was saying he'd have nothing to do with personnel? How things have changed. 

If Walters is the new GM on paper -- which he obviously will be -- then personnel decisions will basically be "by GM Walters, pending Miller's approval."

For God sake, you think Wettenhall has such a system with Popp?

If Walters does get the job, he should just add the title of puppet to his new business card as well.

Couple of comments worry me:

Miller: " In the structure of our organization we would have discussions first" So Walters can do anything a GM can do...once he asks Miller for permission.

"Miller said the GM would report directly to the CEO, who will be involved in football operations"

The GM should report to the C.E.O, so I'm okay with that part, but Miller having the final say and being involved in the day to day football operations is not a good thing. Clearly when it comes to the Bombers it's all about who you know and not what you know.

Whatever happened to the days of hiring the best people for the job and letting them do their jobs ?

If Miller's comment about him being involved in football ops doesn't make people nervous...it should. Read whatever you want into that or not he is driving this bus anyone else is likely if they get to ride shotgun. When Higgins name doesn't get stamped on the job you will know why. Higgins has that situation figured out and his name will quietly fade into the sunset. People in Winnipeg will be left to try and put a spin on the thanks but no thanks.

Scares the crap out of me to be completely honest.