Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Morning Big Blue

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bombers @ Not-So-LOLks: The GDT

Elks are not so LOLks as they once were... But I still believe they're overrated. They go as Justin Rankin goes. I do believe they're beatable.

Having said that, I don't think the Bombers are necessarily a very good team. We've sadly shown that too many times so far this season.

But, as always, I live on a hope and a prayer... For two points our way, no matter how it looks. Just find a way to win.

  • Replies 827
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • daniels with the down field speed of a fully loaded cement mixer

  • bustamente
    bustamente

    I can live with the PI on Kelly but the RTP on ZC has to be called or overturned by the CC

  • JohnnyAbonny
    JohnnyAbonny

    It’s like when MOS had Andrew, Biggie, etc running the room he just went totally hands off and never went back to actually coaching. He did some dumb **** with the roster his whole time here, but at l

Featured Replies

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

That being said he played better than most all yr..closed well and actually attacked the play..and used actual technique tackling..I say he should be starting.

That is my reading too... definitely didn't seem out of place out there, especially seeing as he seemed to be around Mack quite a bit.

He got a good pop on Rankin too early on.

35 minutes ago, HC85 said:

I don't think he's thinking about money, he's thinking this approach is best for the team. That's a bigger problem.

I disagree. Not having to worry about getting paid for 3 years is a real problem as complacency & apathy will set in.

When the coaching/admin cap came into effect, I always thought there was something equivalent to a "mulligan" when firing a coach/gm who was still under contract. Each team had the ability to fire one individual within a set time period (once ever 3 years?) without that person's contract counting towards the cap. I guess this never existed although I could have sworn it did at one point.

9 minutes ago, blueandgoldguy said:

When the coaching/admin cap came into effect, I always thought there was something equivalent to a "mulligan" when firing a coach/gm who was still under contract. Each team had the ability to fire one individual within a set time period (once ever 3 years?) without that person's contract counting towards the cap. I guess this never existed although I could have sworn it did at one point.

It seems to be a thing... at least it was pre-COVID

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/cfls-football-operations-salary-cap-throws-wrench-into-coaching-carousel


They will get some financial relief from an operations cap rule that allows a team to amortize a fired coach’s salary over five years. Each team is also allowed a free pass on a termination amount once every five years.

In general, the cap has received mixed reviews from CFL coaches and managers this year, and a discussion of possible tweaks to its rules will be on the docket at league meetings in January.

Another game I missed... from the looks of it these boards seem more entertaining then watching the action on the field.

Maybe some kind of crazy miracle where Dinwiddie steps down as HC and stays as OC/GM and Ottawa picks up the rest of O'Shea's contract as HC/DC for next year?

Does anyone know how or if the DoOrDie Odds and Sods is doing ok these days? I miss reading the odds and sods during our dark days , they were always a fun read.

Lots of guys are getting axed in the NFL right now, any chance that they attempt at bringing any of them up here? Surely they can find someone who can do more then a Gavin Cobb 1 reception for 9 yards per game type of guy. Is their truly only 5 guys that they can pick from who can play in the CFL? Am I that out of touch that the pool of guys that we can bring in is so low that it's impossible to find replacements or competition? Geno Lewis even if he's shot can't be as bad as a Gavin Cobb?

I've never professed to have a deep understanding of football BUT what I saw in the 2nd half:

Soft coverage on Elk receivers

Bad tackling ( the last missed tackle to shorten the field goal attempt sent this old man to bed swearing )

Questionable play calling ( 1st half red zone as well )

On the bigger scale, a team that can't rise to the occasion, which brings up a question of both player and coaching personal.

The Refs didn't help but it was the Bombers that lost the game. 3 points in a half of CFL football is unacceptable.

Maybe some of the vets need to be pulling guys aside in the locker room and asking them if they have any football ability and if not, maybe "would you like fries with that?" may be a better career choice.

7 hours ago, HC85 said:

Nope, I've been reading and following closely for years. Have learned a ton from my 25+ years mostly lurking here and the forum before this one. Many points by posters I've agreed with and thought could be true. I like reading the different opinions. But I'm just an interested fan and felt like I should give the benefit of the doubt to the pros, especially Wade Miller. After this game and MOS's response, I have finally lost my benefit of the doubt. As someone posted earlier, MOS has lost the plot.

The coaching staff, and tonight the players, don't seem to mind losing. MOS is probably trying to protect his staff and his locker room publicly. But I still see no signs of willingness to change and adapt. Either in a half, in a game, in a season, or even between seasons. Stubbornness can be a great trait in the right amounts, but beyond a certain point it is counterproductive. Who doesn't know someone who can tough out a challenge in life with stubbornness, but then not go to the doctor when they're super sick and wait too late to make changes.

Add to that....

'just needed to make a few more plays'

'our guys are beyond getting emotional. This won't change how they approach the game'

'nothing happened in that second half to change the game'

Just needed a few plays is the worst.

The only one in Canada that thought the Bombers would win that game when Edmonton got the ball back was Osh. Everyone else knew exactly what would happen because it always ******* happens.

6 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

When the coaching/admin cap came into effect, I always thought there was something equivalent to a "mulligan" when firing a coach/gm who was still under contract. Each team had the ability to fire one individual within a set time period (once ever 3 years?) without that person's contract counting towards the cap. I guess this never existed although I could have sworn it did at one point.

That's why Ottawa never fired Burke (who was still under contract this year) when he was "promoted" to work with Dinwiddie. Kept Bob Dyce until his contract expired at the end of last season & hired Dinwiddie to do multiple jobs from QB Coach, OC, HC, GM & scouting. Cheaper to hire one guy than 2 & Ottawa is forced to wait until Dimwit's contract is up in 2028. We saw the same thing in Edmonton with Chris Jones. We'll be living it here with osh & walters with their new deals. We have millions in the bank. I think we should bite the bullet & buy out Osh's contract at the end of the season if teams are allowed to do that.

7 hours ago, ShyGuy said:

That is my reading too... definitely didn't seem out of place out there, especially seeing as he seemed to be around Mack quite a bit.

He got a good pop on Rankin too early on.

Playing Vaval full time will affect his ability to return punts & kicks as we have no one else.

Way too many plays on D with 8 guys in coverage behind 3-4 rushing including a spy but none of those guys in coverage within 12-15 yards of the LOS.

We should only be running that on like 3rd and 25.

We basically play without a 2nd level in all of our pass coverages since these past couple seasons and we can’t get off the field when we really need to.

8 hours ago, ShyGuy said:

That is my reading too... definitely didn't seem out of place out there, especially seeing as he seemed to be around Mack quite a bit.

He got a good pop on Rankin too early on.

yesh he laid a nice hit...a couple actually....he also didnt have that damn cushion giving easy catches and yac...when he did give a bit...he had the quickness and quick recognition to recognize and close it and basically stop the play right at the catch....unlike...well everyone not named Williams

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I disagree. Not having to worry about getting paid for 3 years is a real problem as complacency & apathy will set in.

3 yrs if nobody hires him...Does anyone here truly think the Great Oshea won't get signed prior to the 2027 season?...There will be some sad sacks who will see that as a big score

7 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

When the coaching/admin cap came into effect, I always thought there was something equivalent to a "mulligan" when firing a coach/gm who was still under contract. Each team had the ability to fire one individual within a set time period (once ever 3 years?) without that person's contract counting towards the cap. I guess this never existed although I could have sworn it did at one point.

yeah I was gonna say...Isnt there some kinda out for one firing?..Pretty sure there is...we need to take advantage of it before that new Commish abolishes it

7 hours ago, ShyGuy said:

It seems to be a thing... at least it was pre-COVID

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/cfls-football-operations-salary-cap-throws-wrench-into-coaching-carousel


They will get some financial relief from an operations cap rule that allows a team to amortize a fired coach’s salary over five years. Each team is also allowed a free pass on a termination amount once every five years.

In general, the cap has received mixed reviews from CFL coaches and managers this year, and a discussion of possible tweaks to its rules will be on the docket at league meetings in January.

yeah thats what I thought...no excuse to not bring down the chop chop...good digging

2 hours ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

Maybe some of the vets need to be pulling guys aside in the locker room and asking them if they have any football ability and if not, maybe "would you like fries with that?" may be a better career choice.

could maybe ask that of some coaches really....cause man it kills us...I feel for the players...Kinda on a boat with no rudder just drifting around hoping help will come

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Just needed a few plays is the worst.

The only one in Canada that thought the Bombers would win that game when Edmonton got the ball back was Osh. Everyone else knew exactly what would happen because it always ******* happen

a totally detached from reality sucker...and he's ours!

2 hours ago, MrFreakzilla said:

Look at all the talent we've brought in during the season to improve.....oops oh wait

if the coach is relaying he doesnt need/want it and its all under control...then a G.M starts meddling it can become a real toxic issue...that being said there is a time a G.M needs to step in and step up...Walter's you are on the clock

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That's why Ottawa never fired Burke (who was still under contract this year) when he was "promoted" to work with Dinwiddie. Kept Bob Dyce until his contract expired at the end of last season & hired Dinwiddie to do multiple jobs from QB Coach, OC, HC, GM & scouting. Cheaper to hire one guy than 2 & Ottawa is forced to wait until Dimwit's contract is up in 2028. We saw the same thing in Edmonton with Chris Jones. We'll be living it here with osh & walters with their new deals. We have millions in the bank. I think we should bite the bullet & buy out Osh's contract at the end of the season if teams are allowed to do that.

Playing Vaval full time will affect his ability to return punts & kicks as we have no one else.

yes and no...guys have done it...and we have a guy that can too rotting on the PR who could take the odd return if Vaval is gassed from a defensive stand...but....we feel Cobb and Nield are well worth not adding a player of skill

19 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Way too many plays on D with 8 guys in coverage behind 3-4 rushing including a spy but none of those guys in coverage within 12-15 yards of the LOS.

We should only be running that on like 3rd and 25.

We basically play without a 2nd level in all of our pass coverages since these past couple seasons and we can’t get off the field when we really need to.

yeah...never seen such wide open guys and easy pickens' over and over i my life

After watching the game again or atleast parts of it, solid opening drive but kicking a FG just hurts momentum and confidence, prob the right decision to kick the FG but a TD to start would have made a difference. I see Brady lots. Oh he’s over 100 and it’s now half. Bombers D who look very good look like their old selves on the last drive. Hmm. Nah. We got this. It’s 16 6.

Oh I see. Ok. So I guess the first half minus the last drive was a fluke. Cuz yup our D is back to their old selves again but our O is doing **** all now, absolutely nothing. Where’s Brady? Hmm nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Yup. Oh boy elks saw it coming. Ok. Well. We still winning. No we aren’t. And ok here comes the 4th. Anyone’s game. Oh. Apparently not ours. Edmonton kicks the ironic FG and it’s 19 16 Edmonton. Holy **** our O is so bad. So very bad, oh my god Zach with the punt ok, that’s fine, Sergio nails one from Saskatchewan and it’s tied but oh crap, time left, and yup, that was obvious. D sure **** the bed on that drive but the O putting up 3 points and ignoring Brady is just pathetic. You can say what you want about every OC we have ever had including rookie hogan last year, they used Brady. Ppl talk like this is the O Zach helped design? I guess when he was concussed cuz it’s garbage.

Someone who does internet nerd stuff needs to make a bomber highlight (more like lowlights tho) video And set it to that Benny hill song there where they all bumping into each other like they are just it’s just comedy at this point. Osh in his presser is either defeated delusional or just done with it all.

Osh has tried his best cliches and they ain’t working and he’s all out of ideas.

if O’Shea and coaches ain’t going anywhere then players need to be. Cuz the last drive was pretty pathetic and obvious to everyone. I mean, how don’t you at the very least, fire Younger. I guess you go well, 22 points and we lost, our O had 16 points at half time and finished with 19.

It’s both O and D. Sp teams were solid.

Is there enough talent on O and D on this team or PR right now? Probably not. That’s the problem. Would a different coordinator make a difference to the talent currently on the team or PR? Maybe? You could argue you could run the ball 30 times a game and we’d be better off, the D looks good for spurts but poops the bed at the worst times. Does a new coordinator or coach make all those missed tackles go away? Is that talent? Every team has made changes. Not us. It’s all good here

People talk about vets pulling guys into lockers and saying be fn better beach or whatever like the vets aren’t a huge problem really. Minus Willie Demski Brady the vets all absolutely suck. Bryant? Sucks. Neufeld? Sucks.

Pokey? Is he a vet? He sucks man.

White? He’s allllll right actually.

Willie is solid still.

Kyrie? lol

The entire secondary? lol. Seriously. Wow have Nichols and Holm ever fallen. Moxey finally gets a pick so he did something.

Edited by Goalie

Club likely does ok next year with season tickets as its year 3 of the 3 year commitment for 25 Grey Cup tickets but I think there's a drop. If this level of play continues, I expect a big drop in 28.

I was cautiously optimist at halftime. The O was motoring at least by current Bomber standards. The O-line was playing well, heck they were dominating. They were opening up holes for Oliveira and, perhaps, more importantly giving Collaros time. And, the D was playing surprisingly well. But, WTH went on in the Bomber locker room at halftime? I've watched a lot of Bomber football over the years but I don't think I've ever seen (at least I can't remember) a 180ºer like that one. Something has got to give. Someone (several) should be relieved of their duties.

This "experiment" of Kelly at Safety has got to end. He is slow and slow to react. He's a career STer, IMO. And don't get me started on our receiving corps. I will anyway. Aside from Demski (who is ageing out a bit but still darn good), our Canadians are downright terrible. White is solid but throw in what seems like a disinterested Wilson and we have what is the worst or next to worst set of receivers in the league.

There are all sorts of other issues with this team....coaching including play calling, a QB who has lost his touch and voila! we have a recipe for disaster.

There are more tough(er) games upcoming so Ws are going to be few and far between. I've reached that point. I've lost faith in the organization. I'm thinking that not making the playoffs is a very real possibility.

They were looking so good to start a game for once. Is there an emoji for"gives his head a shake"?

48 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Club likely does ok next year with season tickets as its year 3 of the 3 year commitment for 25 Grey Cup tickets but I think there's a drop. If this level of play continues, I expect a big drop in 28.

You can opt out of the commitment between Aug 15 & Sep 15.

You need to repay whatever discount you got on your GC tickets (ours was $100 a ticket) but it is an option if you're willing to eat that cost.

11 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

DB should never have been playing 10 yards off the ball to begin with in that situation .. that’s on Younger.

I’m not a fan of Younger’s D either, but there’s still no excuse for missing that tackle. He makes that play and it’s much more likely the Elks don’t make that kick.

The players don’t get to be absolved of all blame.

5 hours ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

Maybe some of the vets need to be pulling guys aside in the locker room and asking them if they have any football ability and if not, maybe "would you like fries with that?" may be a better career choice.

Dillon Mitchell out here catching strays... that was Tim Hortons though I guess

32 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I’m not a fan of Younger’s D either, but there’s still no excuse for missing that tackle. He makes that play and it’s much more likely the Elks don’t make that kick.

The players don’t get to be absolved of all blame.

Yup for sure, I’m just confused on what’s the sound rationalization knowing the Elks need one point to win with a minute and a half to go soft zone coverage with no attempt to mix in some pressure blitzes on the CF? A vanilla defense is not going to stop CF in getting the yards he needs get his kicker to win the game.

10 hours ago, blueandgoldguy said:

When the coaching/admin cap came into effect, I always thought there was something equivalent to a "mulligan" when firing a coach/gm who was still under contract. Each team had the ability to fire one individual within a set time period (once ever 3 years?) without that person's contract counting towards the cap. I guess this never existed although I could have sworn it did at one point.

Maybe, just maybe we can get a PayPal dispensation for this one occasion to be able to fire the HC and GM and somehow not have their full salaries not count against the cap.

You just had to know after starting the second half with a bunch of 2 and outs, it was a sign we reverted back to our bull$hit ways and the loss would be inevitable....What happened between the first and second half was totally amazing...but somehow expected....Expect the same for the last stretch of the season and most likely sitting on the sidelines

I’m not sure we win another game at this point. Sask is gonna embarrass us but weird things happen there and Montreal is gonna drop 50 on us easy.

We don’t play Ottawa anymore. Who realistically can we beat on the remaining schedule? If you are being honest, every team we play is better than us.

Edited by Goalie

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.