2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

Right now I think we are an 11 win team still in the late season battle for first/second in the west with bc. 
 But if our ol doesn’t replace rt well, or find a new impact player on D that could be plus or minus 2 very easily even before injuries are considered. 
 I think this will be the closest the top teams have been in the cfl in years. All the play off teams could be with in like 2 wins of each other. 

As mentioned, we have the best QB in the league.... if we can protect that QB, and if our offensive weapons stay healthy, then we'll be in first at the end of the year. I'm hoping for some improvement along the DL (I don't know enough to know if it's scheme or personnel) and in kick covers....... but I truly believe we'll be much of the same the next two years. After the home GC, all bets are off... but the next two years should still be lots of fun. 

26 minutes ago, Noeller said:

As mentioned, we have the best QB in the league.... if we can protect that QB, and if our offensive weapons stay healthy, then we'll be in first at the end of the year. I'm hoping for some improvement along the DL (I don't know enough to know if it's scheme or personnel) and in kick covers....... but I truly believe we'll be much of the same the next two years. After the home GC, all bets are off... but the next two years should still be lots of fun. 

Pretty much. If we see an improvement in pass pro, which frankly I expect, we will be in good shape. If however we can find an impact player especially in the front 6, that’s a game changer. We need to replace JJ full time, instead of half time, but I think we will manage. 

Teams is going to be a battle to watch in camp as well. Going to be tough if we struggle kicking off/punting and covering especially if grant isn’t back to over compensate for a lot of field position. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

We need to improve on both sides of the trench and at special teams. If we do that through drafting and recruiting, we'll be in good shape. Could take a while, though, for everyone to gel. 

It sure seems like both drafts are great candidates to fill out gaps if we can manipulate the draft and get quality picks at positions of need. 
 This could well be a team that is much better in the final 1/3rd of the season as well. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

That's not fair, it's the internet, anyone can cosplay as an analyst! 

My cos play analyst says once the first team picks an ol, the panic run in ol will begin. With a good 5 out of 7 picks following it being an ol. 
 I’d love to see us grab a couple guys who will be in nfl camps refill the futures cupboard in the mid or late parts of the draft. 
 But if we get one guy who becomes a starter and two decent role guy that will be a big win. 

The only way Dublanko isn't the first overall pick is if he dies (Ottawa might still trade up for him though) or it's revealed he's got a bunch of skeletons in his closet.

He's quite likely the best player and for certain the best player who won't be in a NFL camp of the players available.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

1 hour ago, Pete said:

gotta say I'm not a fan of people on this forum who make snide remarks on the commentor vs the topic being discussed.

(and for clarity ive said earlier that I dont think Hodges draft was good, just that Fergusons is worse.)

This, or any sports forum likely won’t be a happy place then. 

6 hours ago, Pete said:

This draft is worse than Hodges, no way that Ottawa not take a reciever in top 2 picks. Nor does Deblanco last more than 3 picks. Straker at 2 is also dreaming

2 hours ago, Pete said:

gotta say I'm not a fan of people on this forum who make snide remarks on the commentor vs the topic being discussed.

(and for clarity ive said earlier that I dont think Hodges draft was good, just that Fergusons is worse.)

Alright let's break down your 3 gripes about this mock then.

1) Ottawa is in need of a NI receiver but in a deep draft, do you reach and fill a position of need, knowing you can get a similar quality player later? Both mocks had the best available receiver going first so who's next and how far is the dropoff? What Edmonton does with the first pick could shape the way the first few rounds goes down.

2) Even Ferguson said he doesn't think Dublanco slides to 7th.  He also had Lacrosse at 4 but says that's too early.  Not sure why he put guys in spots he doesn't think they'll be picked in... It's kinda the whole point of the article? That's probably my biggest issue with his draft.

3) Didn't see you have the same angst for Hodge picking Straker at 3 as you do for Ferguson putting at 2?  I get why both guys have him high though.  Borderline NFL interest coupled with an underwhelming pro day means he will most likely be available for a team this season which is what you want from a high pick.

Chris Jones is an idiot sometimes, but I don’t see how they pass on Dublanko

I agree with Marshall’s prediction of Bombers taking Hergel. He seems to have the attitude and physicality to fit in here. 

If Wallace slides, maybe but I’d figure him to be on an NFL PR for at least a year or 2. 

37 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Alright let's break down your 3 gripes about this mock then.

1) Ottawa is in need of a NI receiver but in a deep draft, do you reach and fill a position of need, knowing you can get a similar quality player later? Both mocks had the best available receiver going first so who's next and how far is the dropoff? What Edmonton does with the first pick could shape the way the first few rounds goes down.

2) Even Ferguson said he doesn't think Dublanco slides to 7th.  He also had Lacrosse at 4 but says that's too early.  Not sure why he put guys in spots he doesn't think they'll be picked in... It's kinda the whole point of the article? That's probably my biggest issue with his draft.

3) Didn't see you have the same angst for Hodge picking Straker at 3 as you do for Ferguson putting at 2?  I get why both guys have him high though.  Borderline NFL interest coupled with an underwhelming pro day means he will most likely be available for a team this season which is what you want from a high pick.

Ottawa doesnt have a national receiver on their roster that caught more than 1 pass ly, do you think they will pass on Mital and/or Mardner?

Duncan-Busby is the next best but there is a noticable drop off (Hodge has him 15 , Ferguson 17 pick) Ferguson doesn't have Ottawa picking a receiver in any of their 2 picks

Your point 2 where Ferguson doubts his own ranking also indicated why his draft is less than stellar

As far as Straker goes i may have understated his value, although as an armchair gm, Deblanco seems a better pick

Edited by Pete

Just now, Pete said:

Ottawa doesnt have a reciever on their roster that caugh more than 1 pass ly, do you think they will pass on mital and/or mardner?

Duncan-Busby is the next best but there is a noticable drop off (hodge has him 15 , Ferguson 17 pick) Fergoson doesn't have Ottawa picking a feciever in any of their 2 picks

You point 2 where Fergeson doubts his own ranking also indicated why his draft is less than stellar

As far as Straker goes i may have understated his value, although as an armchair gm, Deblanco seems a better pick

How do you manage to spell Ferguson three different ways in the same post?