2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

1 minute ago, MOBomberFan said:

Another common denominator is Brady taking over at running back for AH33. Harris was the ultimate checkdown and was used that way very frequently.

Yes, that is true. Brady is not nearly the check down that AH was. 

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Just popped in to read the Strevy talk.  

giphy.gif

Right? We should all still be dancing in the streets instead we are debating 6th OL. SMH.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

obviously a huge fan of the incoming Strevolution.... and what a deal on that contract.

Quasi-necro post here, but since it wasn't really mentioned a couple pages back.... the Koala contract might be the worst in KW's tenure here. Gave a pretty sizeable raise to a guy that is maybe the 7/8 OL on this team. They must be expecting to lose at least one piece or maybe two (Gray/Yoshi) and paid out of desperation. Either way, looks super ugly. 

140k for a starting OL or even a 6th lineman is absolutely nothing 

12 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I don’t think it’s the contract amount that is at issue, he was the least needed of our OL free agents. Eli is already on the roster and better at centre. With Bryant, Gray/Dobson, Eli, Neufeld and Hardrick/Richmond we have the best O-Line on the league and have better protection for Zach than we had before. That $50 or 60k over a rookie developmental is needed for other players. 

They play 6 O-line fronts a lot more than they did 2 years ago, 6th guy is getting plenty of game reps, 7th guy is now the spare.   I think they have Kornelson and Adamson coming back from last year.  Yoshi maxed out last season at $166k and was nominated top O-lineman in the West, can't see him ever wanting to leave the Bombers willingly for more money, he's so ingrained in the team and the community.

11 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Stan-Dobson-Eli-Paddy-Yosh (Gray 6th/Rotational) is the OL I want to see. I understand that the Koala signing likely means some of those pieces are on the way out (unfortunately) but in a perfect world, that's the OL I want to see on the Bombers. Koala is not better than any of the listed, regardless of what the fancy stats people want to trumpet. 

also: 

I am absolutely gobsmacked that the Riders would stick with Harris when Brown and Streveler were both available. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

There’s always one or 2 who are convinced they know more than the ppl who see them everyday.  Between you and me ;) there’s definitely one guy like that on here and to be honest it gets annoying reading some of his posts. Just believes he knows more. Like Mike years ago but Mike doesn’t do that anymore. The other guy does tho. 

I did know more back in the day and don’t you ever forget it 😂

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

140k for a starting OL or even a 6th lineman is absolutely nothing 

Exactly right. Very team friendly. 140k is what your average vet 6th OL is getting. If anything I would suggest this dollar figure reflects that he may be that guy as opposed to cementing him at starting centre.

Edited by GCn20

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that massive raise suggests he is better than his play would indicate. Again, giving a relatively massive raise to that guy when we're likely scrambling to find money for Schoen and Brady O seems like a humongous miss by Walters.......unless.... as has been mentioned......... some OL pieces (Yoshi/Gray) are gone and we were desperate. 

I’m not really sure why you think we’re scrambling to find money for Schoen and Brady. The money is there.

Just now, Mike said:

I’m not really sure why you think we’re scrambling to find money for Schoen and Brady. The money is there.

It is if we want it to be. We may have to move on from some players but I don't want it to be from our OL....and it doesn't have to be,

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

It is if we want it to be. We may have to move on from some players but I don't want it to be from our OL....and it doesn't have to be,

The issue isn’t “can we afford Brady”, the issue is “is it worth paying Brady”

People are all up in arms about the Kolonscopy contract, but Demski just lowered his cap hit, we’re moving on from Jeffcoat, we’re moving on from a LOT of our special teams guys who were on their second/third deals making bigger money. We’ve got lots of money to spend. 

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that massive raise suggests he is better than his play would indicate. Again, giving a relatively massive raise to that guy when we're likely scrambling to find money for Schoen and Brady O seems like a humongous miss by Walters.......unless.... as has been mentioned......... some OL pieces (Yoshi/Gray) are gone and we were desperate. 

If that the case I'd have given Bladek that money....serves more use than Kolo

13 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Another common denominator is Brady taking over at running back for AH33. Harris was the ultimate checkdown and was used that way very frequently.

ZC needs to use this more...but I agree with that tho...Oullette is an excellent check down

Just now, Mike said:

People are all up in arms about the Kolonscopy contract, but Demski just lowered his cap hit, we’re moving on from Jeffcoat, we’re moving on from a LOT of our special teams guys who were on their second/third deals making bigger money. We’ve got lots of money to spend. 

Exactly. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

If that the case I'd have given Bladek that money....serves more use than Kolo

He made $200k last year. Zero chance he is signing for $140k. 

Not even close. 

Just now, Mike said:

yeah...we have money...it's bang for buck decisions, and where to allocate bigger buck's that aren't necessarily easier to replace. Thats why I see Schoen signed at expense of BO....unless there is a major shift occuring.

And as @Mike said we shedding money in several areas....and with all the draft picks, ST guys on 3rd and fourth deal will be snipped, as well as a few vets. Just hope tho with our picks we pick actual guys who project to more than teams....that philosophy has hampered our over all depth of late, as we were flush with aged teamers, but ones who couldn't really do much more than that

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think you are right.

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah...we have money...it's bang for buck decisions, and where to allocate bigger buck's that aren't necessarily easier to replace. Thats why I see Schoen signed at expense of BO....unless there is a major shift occuring.

And as @Mike said we shedding money in several areas....and with all the draft picks, ST guys on 3rd and fourth deal will be snipped, as well as a few vets. Just hope tho with our picks we pick actual guys who project to more than teams....that philosophy has hampered our over all depth of late, as we were flush with aged teamers, but ones who couldn't really do much more than that

I actually am starting to like the look this offseason is taking so far. Strev was a massive get. Most of the vets coming back on reduced salaries and moving on from some aged out guys. So far so good I would say. We have 10 draft picks coming up. I would imagine that will free up some cash as well.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Is it worth paying Brady? Not what he is asking but maybe for what he finds out the market will actually bear. I would love to keep him, even if it makes him the highest paid RB in the league. If he wants to stick to his market reset....see ya.

Edited by GCn20

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

If Schoen reaches FA, that won't be the case, he's going to receive a lot higher offers than Brady, and some other team is likely to offer him half the moon, forcing Walters to concede.

So how much does Brady Jeffcoat and the sp teams guys open up $$$ wise. 

I get we prob gonna have a few on the minimum but how much do we actually save when for every guy you let go you need to replace. Can’t replace all these guys with minimum salary 

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

If Schoen reaches FA, that won't be the case, he's going to receive a lot higher offers than Brady, and some other team is likely to offer him half the moon, forcing Walters to concede.

It’s possible Schoen is more of a guy that values what the bombers offer him off the field and just all those types of things over maybe 30k more elsewhere. 

Winnipeg is still a relatively cheap place for guys to live compared to Alberta bc or Toronto and Montreal. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, JCon said:

Eli will have the chance in camp to earn the centre spot. Kolo held it last year for a reason. 

because Osh overly favours vets? 

I don't believe Koala held the 1C spot because he was better than Eli..... but that's just IMO, and as we've always said, the average fan knows almost nothing about the OL. And that's fine... I'm just eyeballing it, but thats' what it SEEMED like to me......

10 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

He made $200k last year. Zero chance he is signing for $140k. 

Not even close. 

Bladek was also a healthy scratch for the last two-thirds of the season so I don't think 200k is realistic again this year for someone who wasn't even good enough to dress as a back-up.

Just now, Noeller said:

because Osh overly favours vets? 

I don't believe Koala held the 1C spot because he was better than Eli..... but that's just IMO, and as we've always said, the average fan knows almost nothing about the OL. And that's fine... I'm just eyeballing it, but thats' what it SEEMED like to me......

Eli was here first. And, we have seen him replace lots of players. Where did Darby finish the season? 

Just now, bigg jay said:

Bladek was also a healthy scratch for the last two-thirds of the season so I don't think 200k is realistic again this year for someone who wasn't even good enough to dress as a back-up.

was gonna say...he won't get anywhere near that this time around..

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Eli was here first. And, we have seen him replace lots of players. Where did Darby finish the season? 

How bout rose also. Another vet. Examples both ways. Osh probably has his favourites, all coaches do but perhaps that year off for Eli hurt his progress?  But there’s likely a pecking order at display. I’d hope osh would allow his ol coach to make those decisions tho. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Goalie said:

So how much does Brady Jeffcoat and the sp teams guys open up $$$ wise. 

I get we prob gonna have a few on the minimum but how much do we actually save when for every guy you let go you need to replace. Can’t replace all these guys with minimum salary 

Mike Miller was making 95 k last year, moving on from Jeffcoat saves us between 165-185, Winston Rose/Brandon Alexander are both around 100 grand each. Lots of money freed up. I think the Bombers were happy with a lot of their young guys stepping up in the secondary so that’s a lot of money for those four guys alone. Plus some of the restructuring from guys like Demski, etc there should be plenty of money available. 

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

We will circle back to this when he signs. It won’t be close to $140k. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

was gonna say...he won't get anywhere near that this time around..

It will be closer to that than it is $140k

Edited by Geebrr