Banjo Bowl early thread

blue85gold

2 minutes ago, bearpants said:

sorry but no one here is making this argument... I think we all agree this team would benefit from a heavier DL rotation... what some are saying is the roster management is not as terrible as you're making it out to be 

Some just can't see it then....to each their own

And a buttload here have said it's fine (Dline) cause we won a couple cups...last of which was 2 yrs ago and since then we have been springing leaks and cracks showing all over...that's the bigger issue...not bringing in a true returner....not replacing and edge rusher when Haba went down...not actively looking for a dominant 3 tech DT...not having any import linebacker developing....having multiple guys on the PR who will never be impactful...or even able to step in due to injury...just standing pat with guys who aren't starter quality just because basically...what u did in 2019...2021...etc don't mean jack in 2023 if u can't get it done....we standing still just because we had success ...key word before...also not maximizing the roster efficiency with the new rule...it's a combo of a these things...easily fixable mind you that is the root of the issues...if u don't see it as a whole..then not sure what you looking at...yes I am a fan...and as a paying fan...I want better...dont you?

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

And a buttload here have said it's fine (Dline) cause we won a couple cups...last of which was 2 yrs ago and since then we have been springing leaks and cracks showing all over...that's the bigger issue...not bringing in a true returner....not replacing and edge rusher when Haba went down...not actively looking for a dominant 3 tech DT...not having any import linebacker developing....having multiple guys on the PR who will never be impactful...or even able to step in due to injury...just standing pat with guys who aren't starter quality just because basically...what u did in 2019...2021...etc don't mean jack in 2023 if u can't get it done....we standing still just because we had success ...key word before...also not maximizing the roster efficiency with the new rule...it's a combo of a these things...easily fixable mind you that is the root of the issues...if u don't see it as a whole..then not sure what you looking at...yes I am a fan...and as a paying fan...I want better...dont you?

Right? 
As a fan, I enjoy nitpicking. It’s part of the fun of being an observer. 
I love seeing them at the top of the standings, don’t get me wrong. 
Glass is still half full, but they have the ability to fill water to the brim. That’s the frustrating part. 

22 minutes ago, Booch said:

I do agree with most of what you're saying... but a lot of your complaints here are future considerations, not current roster composition... Let's say the team made only one move, took out Jackson and played another DL... either Fox or Garbutt while Haba is injured... would you agree that would be enough to make this roster much better...

I think the reason they didn't look for a replacement KR is because Grant is coming back this year... so they decided to use stop-gap in house options rather than bring in a bunch of new guys

If Hansen, Haba, and Grant are all ready to go... do you think we see them all this weekend? I sure hope so

4 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Disagree ... there is time for un-disciplined team pride and support ... like when they go after your key man like your goalie or your QB or your Wayne Gretsky ... your thoughts are MOS syndrome   ... this has nothging to do with discipline

And that penalty would have offset instead of giving the Bombers the go ahead score. Taking a penalty there would have been flat out stupid. Oline, especially the Bombers Oline knows how to get back at him physically. Why take a penalty when you can inflict pain on the next set of downs?

3 hours ago, BigBlue said:

What do you think would happen if your gangster would head but Wayne Gretsky?

Saskatchewan is more aware of Zach's concussion history than any one... Any concussion can be a career ender for Collaros

Least penalized team, outscore them next game, exalt discipline over male protector role = pansy city, a lack of testosterone, and the absence of the right kind of  passion

lethargy is every where on our club, stand-pat  complacency is this year's theme, a total lack of urgency is killing us INSPITE of EXTREME TALENT

Pansy City I say ... its why we do not dominate anymore (unless the loser gives up and capitulates)

I am tired of having to come back from behind to win ... we are going to see talent migrate

Actually you don't say it. You type it. You WON'T say it cause in the face of one our Oline you'd turn into a pansy.

12 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I do agree with most of what you're saying... but a lot of your complaints here are future considerations, not current roster composition... Let's say the team made only one move, took out Jackson and played another DL... either Fox or Garbutt while Haba is injured... would you agree that would be enough to make this roster much better...

I think the reason they didn't look for a replacement KR is because Grant is coming back this year... so they decided to use stop-gap in house options rather than bring in a bunch of new guys

If Hansen, Haba, and Grant are all ready to go... do you think we see them all this weekend? I sure hope so

Removing Jackson...which is pointless for a dline piece...one who can actually make plays is a start and yes makes the roster better....And yeah sure Grant is coming back...but in meantime why try to push a square peg in a round hole....Grant got brought on during season because we were not good on returns/happy....thats how he got here.....standing pat...gets you ...well what we have seen

We are sorely missing a legit end to compliment the Jeff's after Haba went down...we brought in a guy....and he hasnt seen the field....if he isn't good enough to be on the roster, then why is he here?....he's had more than enough time now since he been here to have learned what was needed...and from what I saw in practices I went to, seems like a legit player

The insistence of running out Kramdi...Mauro for reps, Jake off the edge...way too much Bennett who seems clueless out there...not letting Eli take center reps....even "just to see" again....exercise in stupidity...

55 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I think the lack of retalliation on Robertson by our O-line was probably due to the expectation that he would be ejected, fined and suspended for an appropriate time by the league. The Bombers were behind at the time and needed to keep their cool and not take a reaction penaty.

Totally agree. You pick your shots...maybe if we were up by 30 at that time but I think the lack of retaliation is because the Bombers are extremely well coached in that regard, cognizant of the time of game and importance of not retaliating, and also very well coached to respond to stuff like this BETWEEN the whistles. 

I played and coached football a long time and their is dirty stuff that happens in the piles, and in the trenches literally every play. If OL were to retaliate every time one of their guys got a cheap shot their would be 5 ejections a game before the end of the 1st Q. Intelligent, well coached players know not to retaliate, not to lose their cool. That's half the battle for most of the guys in the trenches game in and game out. Composure. This isn't hockey where there is a code, and two guys can square off and duke it out for retribution. If one of our OL had retaliated and cost us the chance at the TD we would be lynching him on this forum right now because it would have been stupid.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Totally agree. You pick your shots...maybe if we were up by 30 at that time but I think the lack of retaliation is because the Bombers are extremely well coached in that regard, cognizant of the time of game and importance of not retaliating, and also very well coached to respond to stuff like this BETWEEN the whistles. 

I played and coached football a long time and their is dirty stuff that happens in the piles, and in the trenches literally every play. If OL were to retaliate every time one of their guys got a cheap shot their would be 5 ejections a game before the end of the 1st Q. Intelligent, well coached players know not to retaliate, not to lose their cool. That's half the battle for most of the guys in the trenches game in and game out. Composure. This isn't hockey where there is a code, and two guys can square off and duke it out for retribution. If one of our OL had retaliated and cost us the chance at the TD we would be lynching him on this forum right now because it would have been stupid.

we are a professionally coached team and act as such....The Riders are not, and do that crap...yr after yr...we will get them withing the rules of the game with a solid beat down

51 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted the Bombers to shitkick a team so badly, certainly not in a regular season game. 

I want them to shitkick the RIders every time they play with every fibre of my being.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

we are a professionally coached team and act as such....The Riders are not, and do that crap...yr after yr...we will get them withing the rules of the game with a solid beat down

Exactly. Robertson's number has been taken by Stan and Yoshi. He will get pancaked for this.

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

yeah but just think of how manly some posters would view him 😁

Manlihood in football is measured by your performance on the field. Their are no wusses playing football. No one has anything to prove. They don't have to do so. It's a violent profession by nature, and just being on that field takes a lot of cohones.

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Manlihood in football is measured by your performance on the field. Their are no wusses playing football. No one has anything to prove. They don't have to do so. It's a violent profession by nature, and just being on that field takes a lot of cohones.

yeah, I know... I was poking fun at a couple of brilliant takes calling the Bombers "pansies" or "wusses" because no one took a stupid retaliation penalty

Why can an O lineman play every down, and D lineman can’t?

Are there any actual studies that have looked at this?

they do basically the same thing.

pass play d pushes, O stops forward push, run play O pushes. D stops forward push.

should t be much difference in energy expended.

Edited by Mark F

3 minutes ago, Mark F said:

pass play d pushes, O stops forward push, run play O pushes. D stops forward push.

It's more a matter of the oline knows what's going to happen...and the defence is always in attack ..and chase....in a nutshell...pass protection too is less of an energy expenditure 

10 minutes ago, bearpants said:

yeah, I know... I was poking fun at a couple of brilliant takes calling the Bombers "pansies" or "wusses" because no one took a stupid retaliation penalty

you play smart.....take a number like Gordie Howe used to do and the evenup comes when least expected ...The guy could deliver a hit like a truck as a painful reminder to players who thought they got away with one

6 minutes ago, Mark F said:

It's not that they can't, but when the cfl added more DI spots they got used on D, particularly DL to great effect. Like probably the single biggest detriment to offense league wide.

Neufeld wanted to go but Brady was holding him back there so... 

I think there are times when it's ok to go after a guy tho. That may have been one of those times 

Maybe if Eli or corporal Jackson was out there tho... Jackson likely tho would have taken the headshot for Zach and u know,  the guys like to see that. 

Does Jackson Even get 5 reps? 

Edited by Goalie

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Neufeld wanted to go but Brady was holding him back there so... 

I think there are times when it's ok to go after a guy tho. That may have been one of those times 

Maybe if Eli or corporal Jackson was out there tho... Jackson likely tho would have taken the headshot for Zach and u know,  the guys like to see that. 

Does Jackson Even get 5 reps? 

I disagree that it was maybe one of those times. It 100% wasn't. Away game, down a score being put into easy scoring position is never the time to take a penalty.

I was watching a montage of the late hits Zach has taken. And a perfect example of a good time to take that kind of penalty and absolutely try to get back at someone was the Simone hit when zach was in SSK. His OLINE should have ripped his head off. Early in the game/season.

Bombers will rebound, it’s the Banjo Bowl after all and that’s what they do 😊. I hope we can get a few additions to the lineup to help the cover and return game, but even if we don’t, this team is still stacked enough to handle this fraudulent Rider squad …

(Detroit Lions for the upset 😁)

Edited by IC Khari

8 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Yeh Brady definitely contributed to preventing a retaliation penalty... Jumped in front of his own guys ridiculously fast actually.

Ya good on Brady to keep their heads. There wasn't even a penalty on the field yet so the retaliation 100% would have been the one flagged. 

Now, on the next play after the TD if someone wanted to go after Robinson I wouldn't have minded.