Banjo Bowl early thread

blue85gold

56 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Neufeld wanted to go but Brady was holding him back there so...

That was #67, Kolankowski. Kola threw Oliveira aside at first and Oliveira once again got infront of him, likely helping prevent a retaliation penalty. #53, Neufeld, was running to the refs and pointing his fingers.

Watch the replay at 7:49 and tell me I'm wrong.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/09/04/recap-saskatchewan-32-winnipeg-30/

Edited by MOBomberFan
Corrected timestamp

30 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

That was #67, Kolankowski. Kola threw Oliveira aside at first and Oliveira once again got infront of him, likely helping prevent a retaliation penalty. #53, Neufeld, was running to the refs and pointing his fingers.

Watch the replay at 7:49 and tell me I'm wrong.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/09/04/recap-saskatchewan-32-winnipeg-30/

Yeah was Kolo and Dobson who came running over and BO kind of tried to deflect them...the smart thing to do

17 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Have the Bombers announced they signed new guys to the practice roster? There's a number 13 returning punts.

Update:

Tait said its Ronnie Blackmon, new WR/KR.

How did he look?

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

Why can an O lineman play every down, and D lineman can’t?

Are there any actual studies that have looked at this?

they do basically the same thing.

pass play d pushes, O stops forward push, run play O pushes. D stops forward push.

should t be much difference in energy expended.

Two reasons:

1. OL usually outweigh their counterparts particularly on the edges significantly and wear them down just due to the size.

2. DL have to play with speed. There is a crap load more running.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I disagree that it was maybe one of those times. It 100% wasn't. Away game, down a score being put into easy scoring position is never the time to take a penalty.

I was watching a montage of the late hits Zach has taken. And a perfect example of a good time to take that kind of penalty and absolutely try to get back at someone was the Simone hit when zach was in SSK. His OLINE should have ripped his head off. Early in the game/season.

Every time I hear or see Simone Lawrence I want to puke. I feel this way about very few players. IF I recall correctly, it was Simone that ended Zach's career with the Riders ... most expected he was done for ever. AND nobody I have seen has come back to "Gordie Howe" Robertson after. So I don't buy the discipline thing, Brady Olivera or not. If we really wanted to make a Robertson statement it should have rallied the Bombers that night .... spurred them on with unbelievable smash mouth football for the rest of the game. I do not know if the Blue was gassed by then [they should not have been] but I would rather have lost with smash mouth and not the wimper the team seemed  to carry on with... the rest of the game should have been all adrenaline- - win or lose ... we will see if pansies in the rematch ... maybe this can shake up the complacency and the grey cup entitlement mentality ... if not everyone takes care of their pocket book in free agency ... right now we will see if we are a team or not

1 minute ago, BigBlue said:

Every time I hear or see Simone Lawrence I want to puke. I feel this way about very few players. IF I recall correctly, it was Simone that ended Zach's career with the Riders ... most expected he was done for ever. AND nobody I have seen has come back to "Gordie Howe" Robertson after. So I don't buy the discipline thing, Brady Olivera or not. If we really wanted to make a Robertson statement it should have rallied the Bombers that night .... spurred them on with unbelievable smash mouth football for the rest of the game. I do not know if the Blue was gassed by then [they should not have been] but I would rather have lost with smash mouth and not the wimper the team seemed  to carry on with... the rest of the game should have been all adrenaline- - win or lose ... we will see if pansies in the rematch ... maybe this can shake up the complacency and the grey cup entitlement mentality ... if not everyone takes care of their pocket book in free agency ... right now we will see if we are a team or not

Yup...galvanizing moment...and should be point in season where this team wakes up out of this slumber and complacent attitude...and turns it up...if not...there needs to be a shake up and consequences...roster and staff

5 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I'd love for you to provide a single example of a football team retaliating against a player that emphasizes your point. Name one instance of a tough guy football team getting their star player messed with, followed by the team retaliating on the field, followed by 'earned respect' or their players otherwise no longer being messed with. Can you do that? I sincerely doubt it. Maybe you'll have to keep referring to an entirely different sport, and a player that retired a quarter-century ago.

Over the years I have seen a number of bench clearing brawls on the sports hilite shows .... but I believe they were mainly all college football games ... If we had a bench clearing brawl last Saturday maybe it would have woke a few people up like the league's governors and the zebras ... maybe the smugness would go away and actual change would be engineered by the powers that govern us ... QB &  player safety would happen immediately ... fan entertainment and not partisan advantage might take the forefront ... other knuckle dragging things might finally be addressed

"a player that retired a quarter-century ago" ... what does age have to do with manliness and being the family/team protector have to do with age? I would rather lose the Grey Cup than see Zach's career end on a cheap shot

Dignity is more important than discipline

Discipline without dignity is harlotry...

And if we had of lost because all 5 of our O-Linemen jumped on Robertson at once, reducing him to an ink spot, this Saturday  would have turned into the greatest most anticipated game of all time in Winnipeg history

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I disagree that it was maybe one of those times. It 100% wasn't. Away game, down a score being put into easy scoring position is never the time to take a penalty.

I was watching a montage of the late hits Zach has taken. And a perfect example of a good time to take that kind of penalty and absolutely try to get back at someone was the Simone hit when zach was in SSK. His OLINE should have ripped his head off. Early in the game/season.

I agree... I think if the game was out of hand, either way... the response would've been much different

4 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Over the years I have seen a number of bench clearing brawls on the sports hilite shows .... but I believe they were mainly all college football games ... If we had a bench clearing brawl last Saturday...

...we would have done something you don't recall seeing happen at a professional football game ever in all the years you've watched football? Nice. Act like a bunch of college kids. Got it. They will surely listen to us then.

7 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

"a player that retired a quarter-century ago" ... what does age have to do with manliness and being the family/team protector have to do with age? I would rather lose the Grey Cup than see Zach's career end on a cheap shot

Less to do with age, more to do with era. Surely a pro football team can get past the macho BS of the past millenia and settle this like professionals; on the field, between whistles. Make them pay with their playoff cheques.

I will give you this much @BigBlue, if we were up 2 or 3 scores and the game was well in hand, I'd have loved to see someone take that guy down a notch. Thankfully these Bombers are wiser than you or I obviously are.

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

I agree... I think if the game was out of hand, either way... the response would've been much different

Again short term thinking ... I am after the long term gain ... I want to be a team to be feared and not just because of talent ... that might win us the grey cup ... but for now there is not enough pride in our selves

6 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

Again short term thinking ... I am after the long term gain ... I want to be a team to be feared and not just because of talent ... that might win us the grey cup ... but for now there is not enough pride in our selves

To what effect?  Retaliating had the potential to get 2 or 3 O-lineman suspended for the Banjo Bowl, who comes out ahead in that scenario?

5 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

This is so horribly inaccurate I am at a loss for words. You think that our guys are not feared, or that machismo and violence is a show of pride in oneself? Are you Craig Dickenson? C'mon....tell the truth. Last year a player went after another player in retaliation for a cheap shot on his team mate. He no longer plays in the CFL and the result completely derailed their entire season and made them the laughing stock of the CFL. Is that you Marino?

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

This is so horribly inaccurate I am at a loss for words. You think that our guys are not feared, or that machismo and violence is a show of pride in oneself? Are you Craig Dickenson? C'mon....tell the truth. Last year a player went after another player in retaliation for a cheap shot on his team mate. He no longer plays in the CFL and the result completely derailed their entire season and made them the laughing stock of the CFL. Is that you Marino?

That player happened to be Pete Robertson.

16 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I promise you no team in the league thinks the Bombers aren't going to be a tough physical opponent. Notice how far more riders were slow getting up on Sunday than Bombers?

19 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

lol you're acting like this is Friday night lights or something lol. That's not the way pro sports work anymore. So you're "Long term" gain is to potentially get one of our starters on O suspended, ON TOP of potentially losing our star QB (at that time, no one knew how bad the injury was/wasn't) for a game against a western rival who is still in the hunt for playoff spot? 

I'm not sure if you're trolling at this point or not, but your points are dumb. You make the kind of points I tell my son complete ******* idiots make. I'm not saying you are either...just that idiots think a lot like you. People who play the game, the way you are suggesting are ******* stupid and usually have a short and mediocre career.

Edited by Bigblue204