Around The NHL 2023-24

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Long time Buffalo Sabres PBP voice Rick Jeanerette (May day! May day!) has passed at the age of 81. An absolute icon in the sports broadcasting industry...

Big loss for Sabres fans and the hockey world in general.  Listened to many of his calls on Centre Ice before Jets returned as the Sabres had became my adopted team.   RIP RJ!

4 hours ago, Tony Fresco said:

Auston Matthews extended 4 x $13.25M.  That's a big number.  Locked up until age 30.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1694459265061097713?s=20

Now can the Coyotes move if Auston not coming home? :D 

He was gonna get it from someone. The high bar is 13.25 now. When is the Nylander/Tavares trade? 

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

• 3 weeks later...

Excerpt taken from a story by NHL Trade Talk:

A recent debate sparked in the hockey world when Matthew Knies made controversial comments praising Auston Matthews as the best overall player in the NHL. Knies lauded Matthews for his goal-scoring prowess and defensive abilities, but his comments ignited a counterargument from one Edmonton Oilers host. Knies said when asked about how good Matthews is: “Pretty damn good. He’s not just the best goal scorer in the NHL but he plays defense too. He’s kind of the best overall player [in the NHL] in my eyes.”

Me being a hardcore Jet fan and hater of the Oilers (and every other team at varying levels for that matter) but still able to recognize the obvious, this is why you can't take the Leaf nation seriously at all.

51 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Excerpt taken from a story by NHL Trade Talk:

A recent debate sparked in the hockey world when Matthew Knies made controversial comments praising Auston Matthews as the best overall player in the NHL. Knies lauded Matthews for his goal-scoring prowess and defensive abilities, but his comments ignited a counterargument from one Edmonton Oilers host. Knies said when asked about how good Matthews is: “Pretty damn good. He’s not just the best goal scorer in the NHL but he plays defense too. He’s kind of the best overall player [in the NHL] in my eyes.”

Me being a hardcore Jet fan and hater of the Oilers (and every other team at varying levels for that matter) but still able to recognize the obvious, this is why you can't take the Leaf nation seriously at all.

Mathews isn't even the second best player in the NHL, but what Knies going to say really he is a young kid not trying to rock the boat in a city that thinks every year will be the year when the Leafs finally win the Cup again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excerpt taken from a piece done by Daniel Austin Calgary Sun on the Calgary Flames:

“It was a tough road trip for us, not what we were looking for,” Zadorov said prior to Tuesday’s matchup against the New York Rangers, the start of a two-game homestand. “There’s some things that we need to get working on but I think the main thing for us is we have too many individuals playing for themselves.

“We have to figure it out. Do we want to play as a team or do (you) want to play as your own guy?”

Zadorov didn’t name any names. He didn’t point fingers at any specific teammates.

It's all Sutters fault. Wait a sec, he's no longer there.