Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

26 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Sounds like John Hodge.

Hodge asked MOS at the coaches forum about the Kyle Walters' situation and was rightfully admonished by Osh. 

Hodge now has an article up on the 3DN blog.

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/15/kyle-walters-wants-to-be-back-as-gm-of-winnipeg-blue-bombers-expects-clarity-very-quickly/

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I found amusement in the notion that Walters not having a contract next year has been a distraction to the team. No, it hasn't. The only distraction, my friends, is amateur journalists shoehorning the topic into interviews.

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

this is great news, and there's nobody happier about it than me (when and if it all comes to pass) but it does make me really curious what JBR was told, and by whom, that made it sound like Walters was exhausted by the work involved and needed to move back to southern Ontario for his family. The quote "who would want to leave this franchise willingly??" seems to go directly in the face of the previous information. And if the so-called "Coaches Cap" isn't going up, as was confirmed yesterday, then there's no extra payday coming for Walters....... it's curious for sure. But, as I said, there's nobody happier than me about The Trinity not breaking up (tentatively...) 

29 minutes ago, Noeller said:

this is great news, and there's nobody happier about it than me (when and if it all comes to pass) but it does make me really curious what JBR was told, and by whom, that made it sound like Walters was exhausted by the work involved and needed to move back to southern Ontario for his family. The quote "who would want to leave this franchise willingly??" seems to go directly in the face of the previous information. And if the so-called "Coaches Cap" isn't going up, as was confirmed yesterday, then there's no extra payday coming for Walters....... it's curious for sure. But, as I said, there's nobody happier than me about The Trinity not breaking up (tentatively...) 

I'm not sure I understand the "for family" part. His kid is roughly the same age as mine...around 10. That means assuming they've been in wpg for most of not all of his time with the team that WPG is all that kid really knows. I think he has an older kid too, but still...they've been here for so long already

Edited by Bigblue204

41 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Well, one, there was no previous information. This is the only thing Walters has said on the matter. Two, extra cap space or not, he’s at the top of his pay scale - where else is he going that will give him a raise?

Hodge is really trying to make this a thing:

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/15/kyle-walters-wants-to-be-back-as-gm-of-winnipeg-blue-bombers-expects-clarity-very-quickly/

Abbott is going full tinfoil hat too:

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/15/cfl-wont-speculate-on-possible-privatization-of-edmonton-elks/

3downnation is to the cfl as?

Facebook is to politics.

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Well, one, there was no previous information. This is the only thing Walters has said on the matter. Two, extra cap space or not, he’s at the top of his pay scale - where else is he going that will give him a raise?

Maybe the question is more about him making more at the expense of Danny Mac and Goveia and how he's going to handle that?

26 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

only the hardest hitting news....

49 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm not sure I understand the "for family" part. His kid is roughly the same age as mine...around 10. That means assuming they've been in wpg for most of not all of his time with the team that WPG is all that kid really knows. I think he has an older kid too, but still...they've been here for so long already

He has at least one son in high school. His son played football with the son of one of my friends.

40 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Maybe the question is more about him making more at the expense of Danny Mac and Goveia and how he's going to handle that?

Confirmed assistant general managers Ted Goveia and Danny McManus aren’t under contract for next season either, hopefully O'Shea didn't eat up too much of the pie. 

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Confirmed assistant general managers Ted Goveia and Danny McManus aren’t under contract for next season either, hopefully O'Shea didn't eat up too much of the pie. 

It is what it is. None of them get raises if the cap doesn’t increase. 

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Maybe Coach should have followed lead of some his players and took less than going rate to keep band together........

Mac and Goveia are the guys I would worry about, although unless a GM position opens up I doubt anyone can offer them significantly more than we can.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Maybe Coach should have followed lead of some his players and took less than going rate to keep band together........

Maybe he did. None of us have a hot clue what he is making and there are zero media rumored amounts.

Edited by GCn20

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

TSN's take....

****, I hate this week so much.

Literally everything in that clip was made up and/or nonsensical.

They say things like, “with the coaching cap, you can’t keep everyone”. The coaching cap is why we’re able to keep everyone. Other teams can’t come up and offer twice what we’re paying Walters et al, so why leave?

And then they state that Walters is just sitting in his office right now, unable to do anything because he’s not yet signed for next year. That’s total BS.

Just utter, utter nonsense reporting.

30 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Mac and Goveia are the guys I would worry about, although unless a GM position opens up I doubt anyone can offer them significantly more than we can.

Maybe he did. None of us have a hot clue what he is making and there are zero media rumored amounts.

WELL...according to Farhan Rourke-Adams and Naylor...he took a substantial raise....so guess he didnt take less