Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

18 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I wonder who would do something like that... oh wait!

elks-chris-jones-1_270819492-w.jpg?quali

I'm sure he wont just jump at the biggest price toss at him...and am sure he will get some sound advice and "been there" from Lawler and what pro's and con's are

Didn't turn out to well in that instance, and can say same for Lewis there this yr too...tho he was hurt, but still.....same scenario more or less

Like said many times before, and will again...grass isn't always greener, and sometimes security, chance to win...staff and organization played for carries a lot of weight if you can get a fair deal there... I have no worries about losing Schoen and have no concerns about him chasing the big buck in probably a shitstorm of a situation and leaving whats happening here, and his brothers

Our management will make it work and it's likely at the expense of Thomas....Neuf (tho no reason to with his play) if for anything because we have younger and cheaper guys ready to step in (Lawson/Eli/Dobson) as well as jettosing vet contracts like Kolo, Darby, Lawrence, Briggs, possibly Gauthier...Miller not to mention the roughly 280-300k we shaved off this yrs SMS from 6 game guys, which will go a long way to re-up guys even before they hit the market, and likely save some money just from that

Edited by Booch

50 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I think we find a way to keep Dalton. 

It's a positive he's from Kansas and not the Eastern US, as I could see some Eastern teams offering him the most money.  Best thing could happen he finds himself a Wpg. girl, that's one of the reasons Desjarlais went to Ottawa.

Edited by Fatty Liver

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

It's a positive he's from Kansas and not the Eastern US, as I could see some Eastern teams offering him the most money.  Best thing could happen he finds himself a Wpg. girl, that's one of the reasons Desjarlais went to Ottawa.

We understand and accept the mission.

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I just can't see a feasible way to drop 600k+ into two WRs.

Especially with Demski in there too (who's also well paid).

and we wont...no team will

Kenny I bet will make same roughly as this yr, and Schoen under that...likely combined under 500k....also good bet both Schoen and BO will be extended prior to end of fiscal year, with a nice chunk going against 2023 SMS

Only team who would throw insane money around stupidly is a team who isn't paying a Marquee QB...and what receiver will wanna really go to that scenario?...

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Kenny I bet will make same roughly as this yr, and Schoen under that...likely combined under 500k....also good bet both Schoen and BO will be extended prior to end of fiscal year, with a nice chunk going against 2023 SMS

Only team who would throw insane money around stupidly is a team who isn't paying a Marquee QB...and what receiver will wanna really go to that scenario?...

I obviously don't know how the deals are structured into different years' caps, but Kenny signed a 2 year deal and it was reported he'd make 265k in '23 and 300k in '24.

And Schoen will obviously be somewhere in that same range next year. 

We will have a decent amount of money saved this year with the injuries...so i can see some players getting a nice deal before the end of the year. 

I don't see edm going for a big pay day for a wr this off season. Hasn't worked out well for them AND they have money locked up in a QB who isn't playing.

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I obviously don't know how the deals are structured into different years' caps, but Kenny signed a 2 year deal and it was reported he'd make 265k in '23 and 300k in '24.

And Schoen will obviously be somewhere in that same range next year. 

Oh yeah Kenny is 2 yrs....forgot...that being said Schoen will likely be in a 200 to 250k range for his second deal I would guess, and likely a good 1/3rd of that at minimum going against this yrs cap...Will some team offer more...likely....but who's that team and where they headed?...big pieces to the equation....and Schoen has seen how guys here work, and what they take in salaries to allow the team to be continually successful, and he seems like he is the same type of guy, so I would be totally shocked if he just took the highest bidder....

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

We will have a decent amount of money saved this year with the injuries...so i can see some players getting a nice deal before the end of the year. 

I don't see edm going for a big pay day for a wr this off season. Hasn't worked out well for them AND they have money locked up in a QB who isn't playing.

we have at least 600k Saved to go toward 2024....and yeah Edm is straddled with guarantees money in a lame duck QB...which won't help them, and is Lewis a multi yr deal?...he and Dunbar both are making prob almost 470k between them...and look how that has panned out...same as last yr paying a WR 300k with a dirt cheap QB salary...they cant do that now

I see no issue with this team keeping who they want to keep....it may take a couple vets not being re-upped, but won't be key vets by any means

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Demski signed a 3 year deal this past Feb., he ain't going nowhere.  As for resigning Schoen, it depends on what his goals are, winning a cup this season would sure brighten the odds of retaining him.

Cool...I thought Demski was on a one year. That's a relief. However, the Bombers still need a plan B for Schoen and Bailey.

23 hours ago, Booch said:

I actually doubt we will....If anything I can see us replacing the Mcrae's and Agudos's of the roster...The big 4 I all see back

I hope you are right, Schoen is going to be a cap problem to sign...but totally worth it.

Just now, GCn20 said:

Cool...I thought Demski was on a one year. That's a relief. However, the Bombers still need a plan B for Schoen and Bailey.

thats prob why Agudosi still here...and if he is actually given a real opportunity, and had balls thrown at him...he will produce...He's a valuable asset sitting there, and you know if he was cut loose he would be signed immediately and in a starting lineup somewhere

When you think about it....other than almost any other teams top receiver, who would step in here and supplant one of our starters and do what they are required to do?...I can think of a few, but there is a reason Agudosi isn't cracking the lineup...just no spot for him or anyone right now

Just now, Booch said:

thats prob why Agudosi still here...and if he is actually given a real opportunity, and had balls thrown at him...he will produce...He's a valuable asset sitting there, and you know if he was cut loose he would be signed immediately and in a starting lineup somewhere

When you think about it....other than almost any other teams top receiver, who would step in here and supplant one of our starters and do what they are required to do?...I can think of a few, but there is a reason Agudosi isn't cracking the lineup...just no spot for him or anyone right now

No doubt. Our receiving corps is going to be ultra expensive next year if we keep everyone tho. I'm not sure if Walters wants to go a million at receiver? Well see I guess.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Dalton or Lawler: pick one.

Both...to hell with the SMS.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I just can't see a feasible way to drop 600k+ into two WRs.

Especially with Demski in there too (who's also well paid).

Yea.,...it's definitely a tough one for sure. 

36 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Lawler came back from suspension and everyone has remained healthy?

Lawler's return certainly didn't help him but he was already in & out of the line-up prior to that.

He started the first 3 games of the season but missed the next two.  He was back in the line-up for week 6 (as a back-up this time) before going down to the PR in week 7 when Lawler came back.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I wonder what the SMS will be at next year? Maybe there is 100k of found money there?

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

I swear that last week people on here were complaining that we weren't bringing in any bodies to restock the shelves and were complaining that we haven't heard from Walters and "what is he even doing???" ...and then we actually bring in a futures prospect and it's "uuuuugh why did we bring this guy in??" 

Fans are being totally consistent…….in complaining each week. 😁

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No doubt. Our receiving corps is going to be ultra expensive next year if we keep everyone tho. I'm not sure if Walters wants to go a million at receiver? Well see I guess.

Both...to hell with the SMS.

Yea.,...it's definitely a tough one for sure. 

I think Woli, Demski and Lawler are all locked in for 2024...so its a matter of greasing Schoens wheels and rewarding Bailey with a bump if we choose to continue that pathe...and with our group...why not unless we find the next Schoen/Lawler in TC and let Bailey go...or move him

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think Woli, Demski and Lawler are all locked in for 2024...so its a matter of greasing Schoens wheels and rewarding Bailey with a bump if we choose to continue that pathe...and with our group...why not unless we find the next Schoen/Lawler in TC and let Bailey go...or move him

Thing is with Schoen is that his salary is going WAAAAY up. Even if we get him at a bargain.

10 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I hope you are right, Schoen is going to be a cap problem to sign...but totally worth it.

Wonder what Brady is going to cost them? He's now established himself as the best RB in the league although Harris was the highest paid at $165k last season but may have taken a discount to re-sign with the Argos this year as a backup.  Butler signed with the Ti-Cats for around $125k, so Import RB's are still not being paid much, I think it will take somewhere around $140-$150k to re-sign Brady on a long-term deal.