CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

Ultimately it may not be a bad thing taking these early losses.

Get Lawler back, return some guys back from injury, maybe get a little hunger back that they haven't shown the past month or so. 

Come back like crazy after the bye week. 

My big concern right now strangely enough are the LB core and the O line. May be a bit slow and old accordingly? There are some pieces set to return from injury to the  lineup particularly on D that should help. Combine that with Lawler and I think things will sort themselves out nicely 👍🏻

Edited by IC Khari

20 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

My big concern right now strangely enough are the LB core and the O line. May be a bit slow and old accordingly? There are some pieces set to return from injury to the  lineup particularly on D that should help. Combine that with Lawler and I think things will sort themselves out nicely 👍🏻

I’m not worried about lber. With kyrie healthy we will be good and relatively deep. 
 Oline we have the guys to make the changes. It’s just a matter of will power to do so. 

3 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

For me, “Kyrie healthy” is more a hope than an expectation. 

We can expect a significant improvement in our defensive strength once Wilson returns to full health. However, considering the challenges of recovering from a torn Achilles, I'm not 100% optimistic when, or if, we will witness Wilson completely fit this year.

if father time Larry Dean can come back from it and play good or better than ever...with a shiiity Rider environment...Kyrie will....ans not sure if many know...but Wilson was an elite track athlete as well in College...he will be more than fine...plus there is nothing out there he hasnt seen as well...making his return to the lineup seamless

1 hour ago, Booch said:

if father time Larry Dean can come back from it and play good or better than ever...with a shiiity Rider environment...Kyrie will....ans not sure if many know...but Wilson was an elite track athlete as well in College...he will be more than fine...plus there is nothing out there he hasnt seen as well...making his return to the lineup seamless

Alas, Kyrie Wilson is not Larry Dean, and it would be illogical to draw major conclusions from Dean's recovery from an Achilles injury. Banking on Wilson's impactful return in the immediate future would be an unwise decision. While I do wish for Wilson to have a seamless recovery and be prepared to perform exceptionally well, I am not putting all my eggs in that basket. We need a plan B for shoring up our run stop

8 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Alas, Kyrie Wilson is not Larry Dean, and it would be illogical to draw major conclusions from Dean's recovery from an Achilles injury. Banking on Wilson's impactful return in the immediate future would be an unwise decision. While I do wish for Wilson to have a seamless recovery and be prepared to perform exceptionally well, I am not putting all my eggs in that basket. We need a plan B for shoring up our run stop

u sniffing fumes?...lol wtf...its about age....athleticism....

47 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

The Wil isn’t going to significantly improve our run defence. It’s the same run fits no matter who is at wil. Though I have no doubt 50% kyrie is a marked improvement at wil. He makes better decisions and reads the plays way better. He isn’t going to put him self out of position and get washed out. 
 Until we have a nose who can be on the field for nearly every run play, we will be gambling on getting dbs to fill gaps. If they start deep, or get pushed off or read the play wrong over run the angle or just get run over we will get gashed. If we keep our dbs back anticipating a pass and get a run we will likely get gashed. 

12 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The Wil isn’t going to significantly improve our run defence. It’s the same run fits no matter who is at wil. Though I have no doubt 50% kyrie is a marked improvement at wil. He makes better decisions and reads the plays way better. He isn’t going to put him self out of position and get washed out. 
 Until we have a nose who can be on the field for nearly every run play, we will be gambling on getting dbs to fill gaps. If they start deep, or get pushed off or read the play wrong over run the angle or just get run over we will get gashed. If we keep our dbs back anticipating a pass and get a run we will likely get gashed. 

Insightful, I thank you. I suppose the loss of stove and Sayles hurt more than Wilson it seems. With the resurgence of the DT positional importance down south (Jones, Donald, etc), i would hope we'd continue to audition new American DTs in season and put pressure on Walker to become our dominant Nose tackle, he hasn't impressed.

Aside from the yard of the ball, what other challenges do American defensive tackles have adapting to the Canadian Hand

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

YEAH...Eli will be a center.....he can play guardbut he will dominate as a center

It’s far easier to hide a guy at guard too with an elite centre. 
I do think gray long term is a rt if he takes the next step forward. But I don’t see hardrick moving on or us moving on from him other than due to health reasons in the medium term. Richmond would also be better as a T atleast in the short to medium term as well. 
 I think best option is Eli in at C this week. Dobson at G for gray after the bye. Gray becomes the 6th ol, which he’s excellent at that role. Trade or pr kola, then shake loose a pr ol and fill that spot with a dt, db, lber, rb, kr, or useful teams / depth / developmental ni guy. 
 Brady has battled injury bug this year and seen some real tough sledding games. Spelling him more frequently with gray as a 6th ol and either Demski or GMC at back would be a great way to keep him healthy and maximize his career length. Even use that for max protect passing to get collaros more comfortable and keep him safe and not as a heavy running formation wouldn’t be bad. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It’s far easier to hide a guy at guard too with an elite centre. 
I do think gray long term is a rt if he takes the next step forward. But I don’t see hardrick moving on or us moving on from him other than due to health reasons in the medium term. Richmond would also be better as a T atleast in the short to medium term as well. 
 I think best option is Eli in at C this week. Dobson at G for gray after the bye. Gray becomes the 6th ol, which he’s excellent at that role. Trade or pr kola, then shake loose a pr ol and fill that spot with a dt, db, lber, rb, kr, or useful teams / depth / developmental ni guy. 
 Brady has battled injury bug this year and seen some real tough sledding games. Spelling him more frequently with gray as a 6th ol and either Demski or GMC at back would be a great way to keep him healthy and maximize his career length. Even use that for max protect passing to get collaros more comfortable and keep him safe and not as a heavy running formation wouldn’t be bad. 

Yeah...I will have to watch Yosh this week more closely but I dont think his demise is as bad as what people are saying...first 2 games he was pancaking guys left right and center...u dont fall off a cliff after game 2...I think its more scheme and what we trying to do more than anything....I can also see him shifted to guard at some point with Gray sliding out, and Dobson at his guard spot...not saying this yr, but maybe next....Cause next yr will be the yr we see the switch at center and guard with Dobson and Eli...if it doesn't happen this yr

I think a line this yr of Bryant/Dobson/Eli/Neuf/Yoshi with Gray as the 6th would do wonders....and no need to to dress that 7th guy if we have another Canadian on the PR that was useful and actually used...Kelly would be a start seeing as he has been shifted to the PR

23 hours ago, Booch said:

better now to work kinks out then in late sept

The good news is that we have viable solutions in house to whatever our issues are. 

Just have to be willing to do it. 

18 hours ago, IC Khari said:

Not a huge fan of either, but I still thought this was pretty interesting ... sorry if it brings back any nightmares LOL 

No real interest hearing either of those guys alone -  let alone together. 

19 hours ago, Booch said:

u sniffing fumes?...lol wtf...its about age....athleticism....

It would be easier to just throw him on ignore - so we don’t have to see his posts via your replies 😂

It isn’t worth your time. 

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah...I will have to watch Yosh this week more closely but I dont think his demise is as bad as what people are saying...first 2 games he was pancaking guys left right and center...u dont fall off a cliff after game 2...I think its more scheme and what we trying to do more than anything....I can also see him shifted to guard at some point with Gray sliding out, and Dobson at his guard spot...not saying this yr, but maybe next....Cause next yr will be the yr we see the switch at center and guard with Dobson and Eli...if it doesn't happen this yr

I think a line this yr of Bryant/Dobson/Eli/Neuf/Yoshi with Gray as the 6th would do wonders....and no need to to dress that 7th guy if we have another Canadian on the PR that was useful and actually used...Kelly would be a start seeing as he has been shifted to the PR

I agree. 

I also wonder how much he is worrying too much about the 2 guys to his left?