Sea Bears

Bigblue204

8 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Thought I'd start a thread on our new Franchise. I didn't go to the game, but everything I've seen online has made it look like a great time. And they won, so that's good. 

How did they come up with "Sea Bears"?  Are they trying not to offend Polar bears???

58 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

The popularity of basketball across Canada has never been higher so if there's a time for it to succeed here, it's now. 

Basketball has been and still is growing massively in popularity with the younger folks while Football/Baseball are aging out and losing fans.      

I guess the only doubt would be if the kids would care about a local team or if they would only follow the big league?

1 minute ago, GCJenks said:

David Asper (team owner) was on CJOB last week. His story was that Sea Bears is a direct translation of the original Latin species of Polar Bear.

YARN | That is correct. | Chappelle's Show (2003) - S02E08 Music | Video  gifs by quotes | e70ea01d | 紗

https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/polar-bear

The polar bear's Latin name, Ursus maritimus, means "sea bear." It's an apt name for this majestic species, which spends much of its life in, around, or on the ocean–predominantly on the sea ice.

• 2 months later...

My daughter loves basketball so I took her to a game a few weeks ago. Highly recommended and quite entertaining.  Definitely worth the price.

Its not a novelty btw, Winnipeg draws for basketball.  I've been convinced that an NBA team would work here for years( won't happen but ppl here would sell it out) not sure if ppl noticed but Winnipeg is a pretty big sports town. Comparing this to 30 years ago is odd

Seabears btw own the top 6 or 7 attendance also. This is year 1  

Gonna add, I'm a huge fan of polar bears and their merchandise is pretty sweet looking. Great logo great simple colors. Looks great.  Dare I say nicer than Jets gear 

I'm waiting till my daughter is older but Churchill needs to happen 

Edited by Goalie