2001 Bombers vs 2022 Bombers

Nolby

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think the depth was still pretty good but they performed like mercenaries. Not like a team. I mean you have soo many guys on that team that are all time bests at their position for the team. Best of their position that team vs this team would be mostly 01 guys. 

The 2001 Bombers spelled TEAM, TEAIM. They squandered a Grey Cup win away. 

47 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

What about the 2002 O vs the 2021 D? Now that's a game I'd love to see!!

Taking into account that today's players are far superior athletes, the 21 D would almost completely shut down the 02 O. I still feel like Milt would find a way.... He always found a way. 

15 hours ago, Mark H. said:

This. The current team has more talent as a group. Also, the current OL is much better - it's not even close.

This team is way better coached too.

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

Love Khari but ZC is in a different category.....will go down as one of the greatest CFL Qbs period.

Now imagine Khari behind 2022 oline. He could have played a few more years if he wasn't getting killed every game.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Taking into account that today's players are far superior athletes, the 21 D would almost completely shut down the 02 O. I still feel like Milt would find a way.... He always found a way. 

I dunno man, Milt and Roberts would make plays against that D. The issue would be how many times would they turn the ball over. Back then the bend but don't break D gave teams absolute fits because no one could systematically march the ball down the field. That being said considering how much lighter LBs have gotten since then Sellers might have tossed some guys into the 3rd row blocking. 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

Stove would be out there blowing up double teams 😂

He would make moe elewonibi come out of retirement so he could re retire. 

people are talking about the Jump athletically from then to now and I agree at most positions like rb and wr it’s not huge. Not like going back to the 80s. But on the line, things have changed dramatically. and among the new generation of athletes playing interior line positons stove is still a different kind of animal. 

54 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He would make moe elewonibi come out of retirement so he could re retire. 

people are talking about the Jump athletically from then to now and I agree at most positions like rb and wr it’s not huge. Not like going back to the 80s. But on the line, things have changed dramatically. and among the new generation of athletes playing interior line positons stove is still a different kind of animal. 

you don't think you could drop 2001 era Doug Brown into todays game and have him still be a top player?

The biggest difference on the defensive lines right now IMO is that everyone uses heavy rotations to keep players fresh moreso than a dramatic change.

I dunno, fellas.... awhile back, @17to85and I got to watching some stuff from 2011, and our big take away was just how much worse the football was, overall. Players seemed slower, and everything just seemed way sloppier. And that's just 2011. I think if you go back further, it just gets worse. It was such a gradual change, that you don't really notice it unless you go back and watch some old footage...

theres a bit of give an take...late 80' and into 90's there was a ton of roided up monsters...so some of the line play would be on par...skilled position guys tho is easily swayed toward todays players...the big stars of the past would still succeed...but those second tier players would be dominated

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

I dunno, fellas.... awhile back, @17to85and I got to watching some stuff from 2011, and our big take away was just how much worse the football was, overall. Players seemed slower, and everything just seemed way sloppier. And that's just 2011. I think if you go back further, it just gets worse. It was such a gradual change, that you don't really notice it unless you go back and watch some old footage...

to be fair we were cherry picking what we watched... I don't think it's a case of athletes being so much different, just a change in how guys are used and what type of player is being used at what positions. from 2001 through to now you've basically seen a dramatic evolution in what passes for a linebacker in the CFL. early 2000s was 3 pretty traditional linebackers which became one linebacker being pretty purely a DB position to the point now where your other outside linebacker better be pretty damned good in coverage and your middle linebacker needs the versatility as well to be all over the field. 

I don't think there's a huge transformation in athletes from then to now, more just improvements in the ability to keep players healthy and recover better from injuries. 

5 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

you don't think you could drop 2001 era Doug Brown into todays game and have him still be a top player?

The biggest difference on the defensive lines right now IMO is that everyone uses heavy rotations to keep players fresh moreso than a dramatic change.

I think both Brown and Milt were elite conditioned athletes for their day when compared to their peers, this is one of the reasons they excelled.  To paraphrase Milt, "I wasn't the fastest player on the field, but by the 4th quarter nobody could keep up with me."

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

I think both Brown and Milt were elite conditioned athletes for their day when compared to their peers, this is one of the reasons they excelled.  To paraphrase Milt, "I wasn't the fastest player on the field, but by the 4th quarter nobody could keep up with me."

Doug was the same. Working on conditioning drills off field every day and always hitting up the gym in addition to practices.

I remember on Doug Browns radio show he used to do (was it with Steve Morley?) - it was the week of the 2011 Grey come and he was talking about being so pumped up he was going to do an additional weight training session that week, so he asked (Steve?) how many sessions he was going to do:

Steve: Uhm, maybe 2?

Doug: WHAT?!?! I normally do three. I'm going to do 4 this week. 

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Doug was the same. Working on conditioning drills off field every day and always hitting up the gym in addition to practices.

I remember on Doug Browns radio show he used to do (was it with Steve Morley?) - it was the week of the 2011 Grey come and he was talking about being so pumped up he was going to do an additional weight training session that week, so he asked (Steve?) how many sessions he was going to do:

and THAT is how you become the greatest to ever play a position in the CFL....

15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Glenn January was Brown's sidekick.

Morley did segments on the Fabulous Blue Bomber Show with January.