Around The NHL 2022-23

they're both the worst facilities in their respective leagues. The Saddledome was already a total eyesore when the 2013 flood happened in Calgary and swamped the entire basement of the 'Dome and up to the first few rows of seating. They tried to clean it all up, but it's so incredibly embarrassing for a professional team. It should have been bulldozed after 2013. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

they're both the worst facilities in their respective leagues. The Saddledome was already a total eyesore when the 2013 flood happened in Calgary and swamped the entire basement of the 'Dome and up to the first few rows of seating. They tried to clean it all up, but it's so incredibly embarrassing for a professional team. It should have been bulldozed after 2013. 

Seems like only way Stamps getting new home is if they get OLYs.

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Seems like only way Stamps getting new home is if they get OLYs.

And they put a group together to look into that a few years ago and deemed it a wildly unnecessary expenditure and waste of money. Won't be happening. 

25 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Purely coincidental with the election coming up. Nothing to see here, move it on. 

along with a pile of other Calgary-centric infrastructure projects being announced this week..... they really are just tossing money all over Calgary and hoping for the best. It'd be hilarious if it backfired on them on account of "YOU CAN'T SPEND TAX DOLLARS ON ANYTHING EVER!!1!" from their base...

On 2023-05-01 at 11:11 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

So much for the old guy experiment there. Alive and well(?) in Winnipeg.

Taken from a story by Jim Parsons NHL Talk quoting Jonathan Huberdeau:

He noted, “You’re supposed to put your players in a position to succeed and I think this season he didn’t do that.” He later added: “They gave me a big contract… Gave (Nazem) Kadri one too, but I was disappointed that I wasn’t put in situations where I could have as much success as possible.” These comments tend to agree with reviews of Sutter’s work that he gave priority to grinders and third-line players when he should have been focused on the skill sets of his most offensively dynamic stars.

He continued:

“It really didn’t click between me and Darryl last year. There were a lot of factors. There was a big difference in points between my last two years. And the style of play he wanted to play, it didn’t fit my style of game… Having a new coach is going to help my game and my confidence, too.”

Fair enough though throwing the coach under the bus can be just as bad as the reverse happening, no?

Depends I guess on the specific situation in this messy world of Sport.

On the one hand, JH is confident in his abilities and wants to be on the ice more in crucial situations when it mattered the most that's what he's paid for and how he contributes. The stats show his icetime and situations changed from his time with the Panthers to his first year with the Flames.

On the other hand, this is a team game and they need to buy into the coach's system and play accordingly both mentally and physically (DS has won two cups) because that's what the Coaching team believes will get them to success with the existing talent they have.

So to break this down it will be interesting to hear what comes out of JH's mouth at the end of the 2023/2024 season if the new coach gives everything JH wants, i.e., icetime and crucial situations barring injury or any other unforeseen circumstance and:

He succeeds individually and the Flames succeed (Sort of I told you so situation)

He falters but the Flames succeed (Hmmmm interesting)

He falters and the Flames falter (Scooby Doo Ruh Roh) 

On 2023-04-26 at 12:03 PM, Noeller said:

along with a pile of other Calgary-centric infrastructure projects being announced this week..... they really are just tossing money all over Calgary and hoping for the best. It'd be hilarious if it backfired on them on account of "YOU CAN'T SPEND TAX DOLLARS ON ANYTHING EVER!!1!" from their base...

Yea exactly, where do knuckle draggers think this money is coming from? They better do some digging and jump on the internet, ie Rebel ‘news’.

20 hours ago, JCon said:

I remember all the praise the Flames got for hiring that dinosaur. 

I thought it was a tank move. If was only after their success did it pan out.

12 hours ago, bb1 said:

Sure looks like the Flames got torched in the Tkachuk trade..

Only as good as your goalie :D

40 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

His last paragraph is the best:

'It is possible, of course, to make a play on the puck or the player, especially one who doesn’t see you coming, without blowing them up. Wherever the league ultimately wants to draw the line on such hits, it ought to be on the side of not allowing someone to completely wipe out an unsuspecting opponent. To do otherwise is to endorse brain injuries'.

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

the issue isn't the hits, it's the guys skating with their heads down that's the problem. I will forever stand by that. 

Nope disagree. I've come around on this one.  In some cases even when a player has his head up (hockey, football as examples), it still puts him in a vulnerable position with limited ability to avoid being blown up and risking serious head (and other) injury.  

In football, rules changed as my boy played to now penalizing predatory hits even if they were technically legal before. e.g., A few years back my boy was flagged on a play for blowing up a defender that was locked on the player with the ball. The players head was up but didn't matter he was lasered focused on the player he was going to tackle and was in a complete vulnerable position that my boy chose to blow him up. Penalty warranted. I'm sure someone a lot smarter than me could cite a comparable hockey example.

This predatory rule has not translated into the pro leagues yet as far as I know. 

This is the primary reason my boy chose to hang up his cleats at the end of this past season. He told me he was tired of being sore after every practice and more importantly he doesn't want to be dealing with CTE  as he ages into adulthood.

Pretty good reason we need things in place like this predatory rule for minimizing longer term effects and to help recruit and keep athletes playing.

I watched that Trouba hit happen and you could see it coming.  It was textbook for getting smoked.  Don Cherry used to call it "getting caught in the trolley tracks".  Player carrying the puck over the blue line cuts left or right, has his attention on the puck, and the d-man steps up and just smokes him.  Happened to Doug Gilmour in the 1993 playoffs:

I hate seeing guys hurt, especially if it's a brain injury.  The NHL has to cut this out of the game.  Too many hockey players I know are now affected for life due to multiple concussions suffered by hits that probably didn't need to happen, but were considered "legal".