Around The NHL 2022-23

as the Leafs crash and burn, it seems familiar to me.

last October:

"If you ever wondered why the Maple Leafs haven’t advanced past the first round of the playoffs since 2004, the answer may lie in this week’s insanity in Hogtown, where head coach Sheldon Keefe apologized for hurting his players’ feelings. 

After the Leafs lost to the Canadiens in the season opener, Keefe called the performance “unacceptable” 

Our best people have not found their rhythm,” Keefe said in his post-game comments. “The difference between us and Arizona is that we have elite players. Our elite players didn’t play like elite players today and couldn’t make a difference.”

Mitch Marner, said: “We understand, we’re grown men.” 

But Marner was upset enough that he asked for a sit-down with Keefe. 

“I talked to him today,” said Marner. “He explained what he meant to say and how it came out, and everything like that. We’ll leave it at that. … We have closed doors here for a reason.”  😂

And Auston Matthews, another one of the pampered, well-paid elite players, blamed the storm on — who else? — the media."

"The bottom line is that  Keefe showed who was running the asylum when he offered what seemed to be an apology. 

“I used some of the wrong words to try and describe what I was trying to,” he said. "

Need to take these players off their pedestals.

Edited by Mark F

38 minutes ago, Mark F said:

as the Leafs crash and burn, it seems familiar to me.

last October:

"If you ever wondered why the Maple Leafs haven’t advanced past the first round of the playoffs since 2004, the answer may lie in this week’s insanity in Hogtown, where head coach Sheldon Keefe apologized for hurting his players’ feelings. 

After the Leafs lost to the Canadiens in the season opener, Keefe called the performance “unacceptable” 

Our best people have not found their rhythm,” Keefe said in his post-game comments. “The difference between us and Arizona is that we have elite players. Our elite players didn’t play like elite players today and couldn’t make a difference.”

Mitch Marner, said: “We understand, we’re grown men.” 

But Marner was upset enough that he asked for a sit-down with Keefe. 

“I talked to him today,” said Marner. “He explained what he meant to say and how it came out, and everything like that. We’ll leave it at that. … We have closed doors here for a reason.”  😂

And Auston Matthews, another one of the pampered, well-paid elite players, blamed the storm on — who else? — the media."

"The bottom line is that  Keefe showed who was running the asylum when he offered what seemed to be an apology. 

“I used some of the wrong words to try and describe what I was trying to,” he said. "

Need to take these players off their pedestals.

And it’s not just the leaves. 

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

And it’s not just the leaves. 

This player attitude in the NHL.... similar to NBA. 

with exceptions, The sport of Football  is  better at handling these sensitive prima donnas.

specially the CFL.

Edited by Mark F

22 hours ago, Mark F said:

This player attitude in the NHL.... similar to NBA. 

with exceptions, The sport of Football  is  better at handling these sensitive prima donnas.

specially the CFL.

I love hockey, the entertainment it brings and the need for better communication between players, coaches, management and the media but jeez louise have some ability to take some criticism knowing you have that pool of money to buffer your hurt feelings. 

via Fans of the Winnipeg Jets:

The fate of Jets 1.0 (Arizona Coyotes) will be known either late tonight or early tomorrow. A referendum is being held today to decide whether a new arena as part of a massive project will go ahead,
Should it fail, the only viable option for the Coyotes would be relocate (Likely Houston or Salt Lake City) The NHL wants the team to remain in the west.
If it succeeds the Coyotes should remain in Arizona long term.

hmm I wonder what they should be called if they end up on SLC (don't get me wrong they should be in QC) but SLC is rather random, and I'm aware that they're probably going to approve the arena

Nothing random about SLC. There's a venue - Vivint Arena - that can support hockey (IIRC, a pre-season NHL game between LAK and VGK was held there the season before last), there's a history of hockey there (similar to Seattle), and there's a population of nearly 2M people.

It makes sense to keep the franchise in the west should Phoenix no longer be viable (was it ever?). By relocating to either SLC or Houston, the divisions (and conferences) will remain unchanged.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/tempe-voters-decide-future-of-coyotes-franchise-in-arizona-on-tuesday

What is being voted on?

Let the people decide. Last November, Tempe City Council voted 7-0 to conduct a special election referendum on May 16 to allow citizens to decide on the viability of a $2.1 billion Tempe Entertainment District.

The Tempe Entertainment District is slated to include a palatial new, 16,000-seat arena, along with a 3,000-seat music venue, a 1,900-unit residential complex and luxury retail shops, restaurants and hotels.

The plan calls for 46 acres bordering the Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, which is currently hazardous wasteland, to be developed. Specifically, voters are being asked to vote YES or NO on three questions:

Proposition 301: Amends the city’s general plan for use of the property.
Proposition 302: Permission to rezone the property.
Proposition 303: Provides the Arizona Coyotes the right to develop the 46-acre site for a new arena, an entertainment district, two boutique-style hotels and nearly 2,000 residential units.

I'm sure it's not coincidence but interesting that it was almost exactly this time in 2011 that the same thing was happening in Phoenix and rumours about the team being transferred back to Winnipeg were happening. I remember being at a slopitch game when the Stephen Brunt article dropped and things just exploded...

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm sure it's not coincidence but interesting that it was almost exactly this time in 2011 that the same thing was happening in Phoenix and rumours about the team being transferred back to Winnipeg were happening. I remember being at a slopitch game when the Stephen Brunt article dropped and things just exploded...

12 years later and the NHL is still a joke. The Arizona Bettmans are a joke. 

28 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Imagining pushing to keep a team in a location that has not made one dime since relocating, what a great business model. 

A revival of the Nordiques sure would be nice. It couldn't possibly be as bad as the current Coyotes situation. 

30 minutes ago, JCon said:

They will move to Houston or SLC, I'm certain. My guess is Houston. They don't want another team in the East (Atlanta) until they add another team to the west via expansion. 

Maybe San Diego? 2016-19 San Diego was near top of AHL in attendance with almost 9k fans.
Advantages - no NBA, no NHL, 12k arena can work on a temp basis.
Negative - CAL or EDM would be forced to move to Central.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Maybe San Diego? 2016-19 San Diego was near top of AHL in attendance with almost 9k fans.
Advantages - no NBA, no NHL, 12k arena can work on a temp basis.
Negative - CAL or EDM would be forced to move to Central.

No way they split CGY from EDM. 

I envision an expansion plan to 36 eventually. Quebec City would actually make sense as a relocation for Arizona since the league wants the big expansion dollars and Houston, Atlanta, Kansas City and maybe Salt Lake City would have more well-heeled owners in bigger media markets. 6 divisions of 6 teams each, top 2 in each division and 4 wild card per conference makes 20 teams in the playoffs. First round is best of 3 play-in with the wild card teams, then 1-8 ranked match-ups from there, best of 7. 82 game schedule, 2 games against every non-divisional opponent (60 total), 4 or 5 against divisional opponents (22 games total). Just spitballing here.