Pre-Season Game 1 - L(k)'s at Blue Bombers (maybe, maybe not, we'll see)

JCon

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

no, but one on the PR as a project. Essentially, one of Brown/Prukop takes the McGuire role this year, and then one of the new guys (Mancuso?) takes the Brown role from last year...

Wasn’t that in one of the prior cba changes released? Back to 3 active qbs. 

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Interesting that Machino Japanese OL was with starters and not Dobson. If Hackett does not some back up I assume he would be on the  roster as second global.

that guy is a player. They also started mauro I think they wanted to see how both did vs starters to get an idea of how well they could rotate or replace a starter if needed. 

also worth noting is with the change to the Max salary for globals if Hansen wants to play they could do the deal the cfl vetoed earlier this year. I hope he comes back. 

the article on 3dn spoke glowingly of how Dobson played in his reps as well. 

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

hope we can get the kicking game straightened out quickly....

Same we all do, Yeah, but pretty Hard to question the decisions after last two seasons.

re canadian ratio...

would wally buono have had the chance to become all time coach without the ratio, , same o'shea? walters?

probly not.

Edited by Mark F

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Wasn’t that in one of the prior cba changes released? Back to 3 active qbs. 

that guy is a player. They also started mauro I think they wanted to see how both did vs starters to get an idea of how well they could rotate or replace a starter if needed. 

also worth noting is with the change to the Max salary for globals if Hansen wants to play they could do the deal the cfl vetoed earlier this year. I hope he comes back. 

My understanding is it doesn't kick in until 2023...

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Cuts should be announced shortly no? 

I know it’s some time today. I’m betting they already knew half the cuts and are going through it. 

I feel like one or two of the returners from last night get cut on bad decisions. 

4 hours ago, Stickem said:

I hope we can get the kicking game straightened out quickly......How many times do we have to hear that before the team 'gets it'.....From reports in the offseason Mourtada was supposed to have picked up his game.....IF we see a weak kicking effort on Tues. against the riders...the 'uh oh' crowd is going to get louder....Too important a part of the game to go with 'near do wells'

I get loyalty to a player who has been a proven performer. However, I don't understand how O'Shea can cut players at other positions for not playing well & yet give a pass on a kicker who has barely shown he belongs. Makes no sense to me. I just hope we aren't scrambling to find a kicker on June 9th.

Went to the game last night and fought it out with the line-up card that was provided. Here's my 2 pennies....

Really liked 76 Berner ( DL ) and 69 Machino (OL). Both looked like players to me. I also was impressed with 36 Thompson at safety. Watch out!

I thought Prukop was hanging onto the ball for far too long in the second half. It should be noted that our O'line in the 2nd half was all rookies/new guys. Same on the DL. Berner played in the 1st half, and after an injury in the 2nd he played that well. 

Brown looked really good even with the rookie o'line.

Mourtada had the one convert hit the post, but he looked very solid. Leggs can punt, and do kick offs, but I don't think his leg is as strong. 

Augustine is so fast, a very different dimension from Oliviera.

Felt bad for the returner 31 Holm. Was lucky he didn't get killed on his first return, but settled in after that. 

28 minutes ago, Adrenaline_x said:

How would a fan be able to see the snap close enough to determine that from the stands?

You can tell if a snap is high or low. Or if the holder bobbled it. Or if he had to reach for it. Also, the timing of the kicker's approach is thrown off. Not that hard, really. 

15 minutes ago, ddanger said:

Went to the game last night and fought it out with the line-up card that was provided. Here's my 2 pennies....

Really liked 76 Berner ( DL ) and 69 Machino (OL). Both looked like players to me. I also was impressed with 36 Thompson at safety. Watch out!

I thought Prukop was hanging onto the ball for far too long in the second half. It should be noted that our O'line in the 2nd half was all rookies/new guys. Same on the DL. Berner played in the 1st half, and after an injury in the 2nd he played that well. 

Brown looked really good even with the rookie o'line.

Mourtada had the one convert hit the post, but he looked very solid. Leggs can punt, and do kick offs, but I don't think his leg is as strong. 

Augustine is so fast, a very different dimension from Oliviera.

Felt bad for the returner 31 Holm. Was lucky he didn't get killed on his first return, but settled in after that. 

I've always thought Augustine was the better back. Still do. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

38 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You can tell if a snap is high or low. Or if the holder bobbled it. Or if he had to reach for it. Also, the timing of the kicker's approach is thrown off. Not that hard, really. 

I've always thought Augustine was the better back. Still do. 

Augustine has taken leaps and bounds the last two off seasons. It’s hard to say where they are at after this off season but Augustine seems on track to win the job. 
rookie Brady was handily a head. Not sure he has taken much of a step forward since then. Augustine has had to scrape and claw to make him self a professional. Brady hasn’t. 
 My only concern with Augustine is he’s still a home run hitter. I’m not sure he’s a guy who can break a defense with 20 5 yard hard nosed runs. 
 But luckily we don’t need him or either to do every thing. Between the two we have every skill set you could want. 

36 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Fans drink alcohol sometimes to excess.  It's tough to base opinions on fan reports 

I can still tell....even after a few brew when the ball hits the uprights.....that's pretty plain....telescoping the ball on a hold for the kicker...that's a whole nother' story

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Brown staking a claim for pre season mop 

Sounds like a whole other animal vs what we saw last year. It’s pre season but he’s played mostly starters and it’s been a good game. 

I really liked his post game interview. Talked about his performance and some things he should have done better. But also addressed last years CGY game and how he was trying to be so careful with the ball to not create turnovers and hiw that mindset led to mistakes and Ultimately turnovers. 

I thought he looked far better than prukop and I expect him to be the #2 this year.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

I really liked his post game interview. Talked about his performance and some things he should have done better. But also addressed last years CGY game and how he was trying to be so careful with the ball to not create turnovers and hiw that mindset led to mistakes and Ultimately turnovers. 

I thought he looked far better than prukop and I expect him to be the #2 this year.

Yep him and schoen gave great interviews. 

the mafia have talked about how toughness is the most important attribute for a qb here. Brown has shown mental toughness in spades and physical last night too. Very mourtada esq

43 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Augustine has taken leaps and bounds the last two off seasons. It’s hard to say where they are at after this off season but Augustine seems on track to win the job. 
rookie Brady was handily a head. Not sure he has taken much of a step forward since then. Augustine has had to scrape and claw to make him self a professional. Brady hasn’t. 
 My only concern with Augustine is he’s still a home run hitter. I’m not sure he’s a guy who can break a defense with 20 5 yard hard nosed runs. 
 But luckily we don’t need him or either to do every thing. Between the two we have every skill set you could want. 

I don't think he's any different than a lot of American backs that play up here. He is explosive. As long as the OL is opening the holes he'll have success. He kind of reminds me of William Miller. The way Miller used to explode thru the holes back in the day.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Oliveira is more of a power runner. A straight ahead kind of back whereas Augustine can make offenders miss & has that extra gear when he wants to kick it in. Defenses seem to be able to scheme Oliveira a lot easier than Augustine. I'd like to see Johnny get the starting reps to see how he grows into the position & improves.

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't think he's any different than a lot of American backs that play up here. He is explosive. As long as the OL is opening the holes he'll have success. He kind of reminds me of William Miller. The way Miller used to explode thru the holes back in the day.

Generally I would agree yes. The difference is Augustine is mentally and physically tough af. He’s very much an explosive imp style ball carrier. But out offense hasn’t had that threat in a long time it’s built more around chipping away at the d. I am excited to see how the tandem can work this year. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Oliveira is more of a power runner. A straight ahead kind of back whereas Augustine can make offenders miss & has that extra gear when he wants to kick it in. Defenses seem to be able to scheme Oliveira a lot easier than Augustine. I'd like to see Johnny get the starting reps to see how he grows into the position & improves.

100%. Harris was a great balanced back but not a explosive gain guy mostly. In Brady and Augustine we have the extreme opposites. A far more powerful runner and a break away runner. 
 Both are dependant on holes. Neither are guys who are going to be contacted in the back field and manage a 5 yard gain too often. 

in terms of age and development right now Augustine seems to be the clear choice for starter this year. Brady is still just 24 and has time to develop. He hasn’t grown at a great rate yet as a primary carrier. 

I really hope we work in some two back stuff finally with both on the field at the same time. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Generally I would agree yes. The difference is Augustine is mentally and physically tough af. He’s very much an explosive imp style ball carrier. But out offense hasn’t had that threat in a long time it’s built more around chipping away at the d. I am excited to see how the tandem can work this year. 

100%. Harris was a great balanced back but not a explosive gain guy mostly. In Brady and Augustine we have the extreme opposites. A far more powerful runner and a break away runner. 
 Both are dependant on holes. Neither are guys who are going to be contacted in the back field and manage a 5 yard gain too often. 

in terms of age and development right now Augustine seems to be the clear choice for starter this year. Brady is still just 24 and has time to develop. He hasn’t grown at a great rate yet as a primary carrier. 

I really hope we work in some two back stuff finally with both on the field at the same time. 

I doubt we'll see 2 back stuff. Every team runs with a single back. I'd love to see lead plays with Oliveira leading Augustine thru the holes. Or counters & misdirection but that was the CFL in the 70's & early 80's. It just isn't done anymore. What you'll see is the backup spelling off the starter. They won't take out a slot to play 2 backs.