2021 CFL Free Agency

Jpan85

17 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

McCallister and Kongbo are both DE's too. I like Kongbo to be resigned too. McCallister did not accept a PR spot before so you never know if he leaves again if he doesn't crack the lineup. 

But again, we have enough DE's already but we need an established DT. 

The comment was in response to the talk of DEs and how we dont need another. Yeah Mccallister left then came back and stayed on it then resigned and i believe is currently under contract with us. But you never know and thats true of all fringe american players. 

With richardson and jake I dont think we need another veteran DT. Not to mention our ability to turn up DTs the past several years has been insane. We had 4 really strong DTs vying for the 2 jobs last TC.  And I honestly dont think you couldve made a bad choice between that group. I fully believe that will continue as it has along the entire DL.  I firmly believe that Mc'c wouldve started for atleast half the league last season. 

We also dont use our DTs like most teams do. We arent a big pressure package team, or a proficient blitzing team. Most of the sacks that have come from our interior line under the Hall era have been the OL blowing assignments, or our tackles just monstering some one. They play a lot of gap cancellation, they run twists to occupy lanes or eat up blockers to free up our ends. 

I dont think a guy who is used to getting to pass rush out of the inside position a lot, or play straight up will want to come into play a nose role a good portion of the time.  Along with finding tremendous athletes with great work ethic inside, the role position is easier to fill then finding a guy who is consistently a pass rush force from the inside. 

If we are gonna get an established league vet at a position this year Id think qb, wr or lber would be the spot to do it. Though I dont see us getting a veteran qb. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The comment was in response to the talk of DEs and how we dont need another. Yeah Mccallister left then came back and stayed on it then resigned and i believe is currently under contract with us. But you never know and thats true of all fringe american players. 

With richardson and jake I dont think we need another veteran DT. Not to mention our ability to turn up DTs the past several years has been insane. We had 4 really strong DTs vying for the 2 jobs last TC.  And I honestly dont think you couldve made a bad choice between that group. I fully believe that will continue as it has along the entire DL.  I firmly believe that Mc'c wouldve started for atleast half the league last season. 

We also dont use our DTs like most teams do. We arent a big pressure package team, or a proficient blitzing team. Most of the sacks that have come from our interior line under the Hall era have been the OL blowing assignments, or our tackles just monstering some one. They play a lot of gap cancellation, they run twists to occupy lanes or eat up blockers to free up our ends. 

I dont think a guy who is used to getting to pass rush out of the inside position a lot, or play straight up will want to come into play a nose role a good portion of the time.  Along with finding tremendous athletes with great work ethic inside, the role position is easier to fill then finding a guy who is consistently a pass rush force from the inside. 

If we are gonna get an established league vet at a position this year Id think qb, wr or lber would be the spot to do it. Though I dont see us getting a veteran qb. 

Richardson is a FA

7 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Is he still classified as a rookie if he was under contract last season?

The league needs to make an exception for players who are not eligable for rookie of the year in the CFL.  I mean they can't compete for rookie of the year bonus money but they have to earn rookie money. 

It's the CFLPA. 

2 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

Watching the news here and Global Edmonton just said Sewel  has an agreement in place with another team. 

I think he has another couple good years in him. 

Hope he finds his was here if Stove has his heart set on leaving. 

Hopefully with the Bombers 🤞

42 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Move over Kevin Glenn, you have competition in the most CFL Jerseys contest:

Winnipeg, Sask (x2),  Edmonton (x2), Calgary, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), and BC (x2).  Quite the collection to go with his AFL (x3) and NFL (x2) teams.

I thought he had played in Hamilton too. I guess when he's cut prior to September, he will get that chance. 

Edited by JCon

On 2021-02-02 at 12:33 PM, bigg jay said:

His deal with Toronto was for $200k but he's classified as a rookie under the current CBA so he can only make the rookie max ($80k).  He's not willing to play for that amount so it's doubtful we ever see him up here.

That's seems unfair. He would be ineligible to win ROTY, but they can still call him a rookie to keep his salary down.

43 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Does this mean he's old and that he was never any good? Asking for a neighbour to the West.

"O'day is a shrewd talent evaluator, he knows when to get rid of players when no one else does. This generation's Wally Buono"

Edited by Dr Zaius

What a steaming pile of turd the Riders current D front 7 is compared to 2019. Unless O'Day is going on a shopping spree the Riders D is going to get shredded. You subtract Judge, SolE, Hughes, and Evans from that front 7 and that's 2 solid NAT starters and two All star calibre IMPs out of the meat of your defence. Good luck replacing that especially when the reason that Hughes and SolE were released is because you had to shop the downslope of players careers because your scouting is terrible. I know the Rider fans feel like they have a Grey Cup contender but I look at that defence and OL and all I see is last place in the West. I'm not even going to get into other reasons such as Fajardo being likely to significantly cool down now that defences know his tendencies.

Edited by GCn20

that Sask defence is going to be wretched, even if they try to go big in free agency..theres nothing really there now that will really improve you after all those losses...and as mentioned..that O-Line....yikes...scary scary weak, and zero...absolutely zero depth..there's nothing there at all