2021 Season

Jpan85

this schedule is nothing but manipulative drivel. It's not worth the paper it's printed on, for lack of a better term. Randy Ambrosie comes out with absolutely no f***ing plan on how they're going to play other than Best Case Scenario, which is wildly unlikely (nearly impossible). Vaccines got approved? That's nice....you think it's a magic f***ing bullet and all of a sudden the pandemic is over by May?? Get the f*** out. Tell me how you're going to play in a Worst Case Scenario. Tell me how you're going to play with no government money and no fans in the stands. When you can guarantee me that there will be a season NO MATTER WHAT, then I'll get excited. 

The CFL broke my heart in 2020. Getting through an entire year with no CFL is pretty much the worst thing I've ever experienced, and I've seen some ****. I honestly don't really care THAT much about hockey, and yeah I love curling, but there is absolutely nothing like the CFL, for me, and an entire year without it was nothing short of gutting. And with all the time off, the best Ambrosie can come up with is "We expect to have our fans in the stands and everything will be normal"..?? Go f*** yourself. That's not a plan. That's setting yourself up for failure.

So, anyhow,....you'll forgive me if I'm not even a little bit excited about this "schedule". As CFLPA Pres Solly E alluded to earlier this week, we need hard commitments. Not pie in the sky hopes and wishes....

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

After the knockdown we've had this season....any kind of news abut a restart for next year is heartening....However I have to agree with Noeller...there's still so many unknowns and hoops we'll have to process and go through before any fan can get overly enthralled about next year....Hope for the best ...square one....hope to hell these vaccines work well for everyone's sake

Edited by Stickem

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

The CFL broke my heart in 2020. Getting through an entire year with no CFL is pretty much the worst thing I've ever experienced”

If that is honestly true, then (and I will try to say this as nicely and respectfully as possible) you need to get a f***ing life, or at least a f***ing clue. 

31 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

If that is honestly true, then (and I will try to say this as nicely and respectfully as possible) you need to get a f***ing life, or at least a f***ing clue. 

Well if going without football for a year is someone’s worst experience of their entire life I guess it’s safe to say they’ve lived a pretty damn good life. 

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

this schedule is nothing but manipulative drivel. It's not worth the paper it's printed on, for lack of a better term. Randy Ambrosie comes out with absolutely no f***ing plan on how they're going to play other than Best Case Scenario, which is wildly unlikely (nearly impossible). Vaccines got approved? That's nice....you think it's a magic f***ing bullet and all of a sudden the pandemic is over by May?? Get the f*** out. Tell me how you're going to play in a Worst Case Scenario. Tell me how you're going to play with no government money and no fans in the stands. When you can guarantee me that there will be a season NO MATTER WHAT, then I'll get excited. 

The CFL broke my heart in 2020. Getting through an entire year with no CFL is pretty much the worst thing I've ever experienced, and I've seen some ****. I honestly don't really care THAT much about hockey, and yeah I love curling, but there is absolutely nothing like the CFL, for me, and an entire year without it was nothing short of gutting. And with all the time off, the best Ambrosie can come up with is "We expect to have our fans in the stands and everything will be normal"..?? Go f*** yourself. That's not a plan. That's setting yourself up for failure.

So, anyhow,....you'll forgive me if I'm not even a little bit excited about this "schedule". As CFLPA Pres Solly E alluded to earlier this week, we need hard commitments. Not pie in the sky hopes and wishes....

Some of you posters have been very critical of me with my comments about Randy Ambrosie & the (lack of) leadership he brings to the table. I'm no fan of his & he needs replacing. He's nothing but a smiling, talking suit devoid of any substance. It's all talk with this guy. He only comes out of his Commissioner's Cave when he thinks there is good news. He always seems afraid to talk about the news when it's bad & he goes back into hiding. I agree with you, Noeller. It's typical Ambrosie speak. There is no real plan. It's all going to hinge on something that will never happen. Like millions of $ in government support &/or the general population being 75% vaccinated & thye stadiums reopened in the next 7 months. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Some of you posters have been very critical of me with my comments about Randy Ambrosie my belief of the (lack of) leadership he brings to the table. I'm no fan of his & I think that he needs replacing. I don't think he can be trusted to tell the truth when he speaks to the fans. He's nothing but a smiling, talking suit devoid of any substance. He only comes out of his Commissioner's Cave when he thinks he has good news to tell. He always seems afraid to talk about the news when it's bad & he goes back into hiding. I agree with you, Noeller. It's typical Ambrosie speak. There is no real plan. It's all going to hinge on something that will never happen. Like millions of $$ in federal government support &/or the general population being 75% vaccinated & the stadiums reopened in the next 7 months. 

I have to agree with Noeller here. This means nothing. Just PR. I was expecting something from Randy other than hope and prayer about a fkn vaccine. Give us a scenario where we can play no matter what. No bums in seats BS. We have no control over that. 

16 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Give the guy a break. He just really misses CFL, as do I. 

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Some of you posters have been very critical of me with my comments about Randy Ambrosie & the (lack of) leadership he brings to the table. I'm no fan of his & he needs replacing. He's nothing but a smiling, talking suit devoid of any substance. It's all talk with this guy. He only comes out of his Commissioner's Cave when he thinks there is good news. He always seems afraid to talk about the news when it's bad & he goes back into hiding. I agree with you, Noeller. It's typical Ambrosie speak. There is no real plan. It's all going to hinge on something that will never happen. Like millions of $ in government support &/or the general population being 75% vaccinated & thye stadiums reopened in the next 7 months. 

Here’s my criticism of your stance. You ***** when he “hides on his cave” and says nothing, and then you ***** when he comes out and says something. You are pre-dispositioned to take anything he says or doesn’t say, does or doesn’t do, in a negative light. You have no objectivity when it comes to him and it has come off as some personal vendetta. You have even bitched about him wearing scarves, for God’s sake, when that is completely irrelevant. You expect him to have a massive plan laid out For CFL perfection when we are seeing that this pandemic has flummoxed governments around the world in their responses. Sweden goes with herd immunity, did not work. Canada did early lockdown amid huge criticism about crippling the economy, and yet here we are now in a huge second wave. Ambrosie was in a no-win situation in a league that needs fans to make a profit, and he along with the owners (who are really the ones pulling the strings, as it always has been) decided not playing was the course to take to protect the players and society. Now we get news that shows they are at least planning a re-boot, and you jump all over it as being useless. But if they did not say anything you’d whine (as you already have done repeatedly on this board) that he is not saying anything to the fans who have the absolute RIGHT to full disclosure (news flash, we don’t). Hey, if you have all the answers and see the way out of this, especially a way that has zero fans and no vaccines but can sustain the league financially, please enlighten us, and run for commissioner yourself (or better yet become a politician, since they don’t have the answers either). NHL owners pitched for the season to shut down in some quarters too as they would lose less money that way, so this is not just a CFL problem. 

4 hours ago, Bombers9256 said:

I have to agree with Noeller here. This means nothing. Just PR. I was expecting something from Randy other than hope and prayer about a fkn vaccine. Give us a scenario where we can play no matter what. No bums in seats BS. We have no control over that. 

We all miss it, or we would not be here posting on a Bomber fan site. But to say a missed season is the worst thing he has ever had happen to him is either laughably false, or he has led the most privileged life of all time, and has no business whining about anything. And to use that self-entitlement to justify bashing the commish for nothing more than the optimistic news of next year’s schedule coming out is totally off base in my opinion. 10 people are dying daily in this Province due to a modern plague and a lost football season is the most gutting thing ever?  Give US a break, not him. 

The cancelled 2020 season hurt the league big time. Having a 2021 schedule out though gives hope, and allows for them to start (hopefully) selling season tickets for the 2021 season. Wishful thinking? Sure... but seriously, what else do you expect them to do? As a season ticket holder myself, we just rolled our 2020 season ticket credit to the 2021 season, but I think this is really just an attempt to get overly optimistic fans to hopefully buy in.

All teams need the cash right now more than ever.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Almost wanted to apologize to you yesterday. Dave and I got talking about it and went "ah ****, turns out Iso was right all along..." 

And I don't think what he said is putting a positive spin. I think it's outright lying or at least deliberately withholding information. 

The positive spin, for me, would be him saying that there is a plan for every scenario. We HOPE to have this, but we'll be able to play if it's that..  That would be the positive spin. 

As for my post yesterday, losing the CFL was really like a death in the family for me. I love it that much. 

The  bottom line is that ambrosie has been a pretty poor commissioner and the lack of plans surrounding this are a sign of poor management. 

Yes this pandemic has made everything difficult, but the organizations that handle it well have multiple plans for multiple situations. The cfl barely had a plan for one certain scenario.

Let’s face it. No matter which argument is presented or which scenario is discussed, it still comes down to the most important element, and that’s money.

No way can we compare our League with any other sports league as to making plans and accounting for different problems as they arise. 

This pandemic is ever evolving and creating all kinds of issues for much better positioned leagues than ours.

Are there any fans out there that can propose ideas for a gate-driven league? I don’t know of any offhand.

They provided a possible schedule with fingers crossed. They’re talking of a draft and free agency,, with fingers crossed. 

The CFL is not in control of this situation. The pandemic is. 

6 hours ago, Bombers9256 said:

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Give US a break, not him. 

I think you're both right... I've been fortunate that my career allows me to work from home, and I haven't been adversely impacted by the economic slowdown or had any close family or friends impacted by the virus. However, things have certainly changed, and I think Noeller's point is more that we could all use a welcome distraction or a Bomber win or a 'Rider gaffe (or even both), to help get through the daily grind right now, but the virus has even taken that away.

On the flip side, TrueBlue is right in that healthcare workers are putting their own lives and their family's lives on the line, and to suggest a single cancelled season of the CFL is such a crushing blow undermines the gravity of the current situation.

As someone minimally impacted by COVID, and a non-healthcare worker, I'd say the best we can do is be civil to one another, respect the rules and focus on what brings us together - not sets us apart... Things like ripping on the 'Riders some more!

But.... How much time has the CFL had to come up with a 2021 plan? Months. And they still have no plan (according to Ambrosie) other than what they always done. You had an opportunity to find a different business model, and the optics are that they didn't do anything. Again, this is all optics as presented by the commissioner and the optics are that they sat on their hands and didn't do a thing, instead waiting for the world to return to normal so they could go back to a business model that, let's face it, has been dangerously close to broken for a long time now. 

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

The CFL is not in control of this situation. The pandemic is. 

But that was my entire point... come up with some ideas for multiple scenarios instead of just shrugging their shoulders and saying "well we hope things get back to normal"

It may not work out, but for God's sake put some effort in. Come up with out of the box solutions. 

27 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Come up with out of the box solutions. 

And they may have some of those ideas in the drawing room already. I just don’t see the point in putting out an idea that can be dead in a month or two.

I would be in favour of the Feds putting up a certain amount of money per home game to coincide with some home attendance, but once again, who’s to say at this point? It would be along the lines of paying bars and such a certain amount to stay closed and avoid the risks. 

One way or another, the Feds are going to pay for it so you might as well try to keep some businesses alive.