2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Which is a stupid stat because at least half of those missed passes were godawful throws. Maybe more but I don't remember all of them. 

Not trying to make him a pariah, just sayin' those were his numbers. I agree though that Collaros had a rough game.

Cant speak for TV, but Irving made it sound like on a few occassions they were catchable.

Bailey has had his struggles, and I can think of at least one if not two catchable passes he whiffed on in the last outing. But he is tied for the club lead in TD catches. And he was hardly alone in the subpar game against Toronto category. Lawler dropped one, and he has been our best receiver so far. Adams lost control of a crucial one near the goal line, and seemed more interested in jawing the Argos than just concentrating on playing. Demski seems to need to get involved early or else he becomes an afterthought. Wolitarsky has been virtually invisible so far this year. And Collaros was definitely off, and his best football this year is when he has been running for his life, not the preferred way to play QB (at least I think that is true, having never played or coached at a high level, maybe that is how the best offences are drawn up). 

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Bailey has had his struggles, and I can think of at least one if not two catchable passes he whiffed on in the last outing. But he is tied for the club lead in TD catches. And he was hardly alone in the subpar game against Toronto category. Lawler dropped one, and he has been our best receiver so far. Adams lost control of a crucial one near the goal line, and seemed more interested in jawing the Argos than just concentrating on playing. Demski seems to need to get involved early or else he becomes an afterthought. Wolitarsky has been virtually invisible so far this year. And Collaros was definitely off, and his best football this year is when he has been running for his life, not the preferred way to play QB (at least I think that is true, having never played or coached at a high level, maybe that is how the best offences are drawn up). 

Demski didnt play...hence the invisibility 🙂

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I was referring to a more general pattern than specifically the last game, but I will walk back that comment on him while he is off the roster. 

haha...no worries...but I agree...we need to involve him early and he seems to excel

33 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Wolitarsky has been virtually invisible so far this year.

again.

is he not getting open, I dont think he drops a lot of the few that are thrown to him.

forgotten man.

If all he can do is block, might as well put a tight end in his spot. like a running back that gets no handoffs.

anybody?

41 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Yeah, Bob will tell us what he really thinks during broadcasts.  But in his segments the next day - he's back to the same old Bob. 

funny thing about Bob to me, is he kind of goes to far with even handedness; in a game a few years ago he was really excited about the play of bo levi smith during one game. to the point of irritating.

Edited by Mark F

5 minutes ago, Mark F said:

again.

is he not getting open, I dont think he drops a lot of the few that are thrown to him.

forgotten man.

If all he can do is block, might as well put a tight end in his spot. like a running back that gets no handoffs.

anybody?

funny thing about Bob to me, is he kind of goes to far with even handedness; in a game a few years ago he was really excited about the play of bo levi smith during one game. to the point of irritating.

The problem isnt the wrs. Remember when lucky whitehead was invisible for us last year? Yeah leading the league in receiving. Weve seen lots of wrs leave winnipeg and suddenly be legit threats. Idk how many itd take, the issue is not talent. Woli is very good, but hes playing the field side wide out. Thats a hard position to excel at. Its long passes no matter what. We dont do much to involve him in the offense. The play call has to utilize its weapons. It isnt play ground football where you run what ever route and just try to get open. Being open is about a couple seconds of a throwing window. And on the field side, that window is small. 

We also use motion with our wrs to run flood / sweep concepts with demksi and bring woli in from the field to block. That motion changes defensive back leverage and can shift defenders to open the run. Last year we saw more yankee concepts where we would play action to move the box defenders up and to a side and open up short seams and passing windows. We havent done that much this year, and our run game hasnt been good for 2 out of 3 games. 

Our passing offense is not self sufficient for the most part. We dont make heavy use of timing routes, rubs, attack the seams we rely on play action, sweeps and motion. When the run game fails, play action doesnt work. We havent used PA alot this year, and didnt have demski last week so we didnt even have the jet sweep / motion fake to set stuff up. Hamilton moved guys out of the box to match our motion and bit on PA. That opened up holes for our inside zone running scheme. Toronto did not. Their DL anchored and disengaged for tackles, gap cancelled and they loaded the box with various defenders at varied depths. If we dont improve our play call and execution every team will start doing that. 

Buck pierce has made some changes to what we do, but he is still very much a plop disciple. His offense is very similar. As of yet it hasnt shown to be better at much other than deeper passes. 

On top of all that, woli's been banged up and was questionable last week. He would be much better off at SB with a faster guy at his wideout spot. Woli would put up 1k+ receiving with any team save ottawa and be an elite ni wr.  

22 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The problem isnt the wrs. Remember when lucky whitehead was invisible for us last year? Yeah leading the league in receiving. Weve seen lots of wrs leave winnipeg and suddenly be legit threats. Idk how many itd take, the issue is not talent. Woli is very good, but hes playing the field side wide out. Thats a hard position to excel at. Its long passes no matter what. We dont do much to involve him in the offense. The play call has to utilize its weapons. It isnt play ground football where you run what ever route and just try to get open. Being open is about a couple seconds of a throwing window. And on the field side, that window is small. 

We also use motion with our wrs to run flood / sweep concepts with demksi and bring woli in from the field to block. That motion changes defensive back leverage and can shift defenders to open the run. Last year we saw more yankee concepts where we would play action to move the box defenders up and to a side and open up short seams and passing windows. We havent done that much this year, and our run game hasnt been good for 2 out of 3 games. 

Our passing offense is not self sufficient for the most part. We dont make heavy use of timing routes, rubs, attack the seams we rely on play action, sweeps and motion. When the run game fails, play action doesnt work. We havent used PA alot this year, and didnt have demski last week so we didnt even have the jet sweep / motion fake to set stuff up. Hamilton moved guys out of the box to match our motion and bit on PA. That opened up holes for our inside zone running scheme. Toronto did not. Their DL anchored and disengaged for tackles, gap cancelled and they loaded the box with various defenders at varied depths. If we dont improve our play call and execution every team will start doing that. 

Buck pierce has made some changes to what we do, but he is still very much a plop disciple. His offense is very similar. As of yet it hasnt shown to be better at much other than deeper passes. 

On top of all that, woli's been banged up and was questionable last week. He would be much better off at SB with a faster guy at his wideout spot. Woli would put up 1k+ receiving with any team save ottawa and be an elite ni wr.  

Hmmmm what to play today 👌🤔👌🤔 | Call of Duty

39 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's depth chart only that has him out there. During the game he regularly lines up inside. 

He lines up at field wide out. But he is heavily used in motion to block on the edge. He almost never lines up at slot waggles and runs a route. 

To me, it looks like a LaPolice offence that a non-LaPolice person is trying to implement. As a rookie OC, Pierce may be reluctant to try non-LaPolice stuff, because, a) he is a rookie. and b) that offence won a Grey Cup and c) maybe O'Shea is directing him. In any case,  he will never be as good as LaPolice at being LaPolice and maybe its time for him to start introducing his own wrinkles because one of the knocks on LaPolice was the predictability of the Bomber offence.

13 minutes ago, Tracker said:

To me, it looks like a LaPolice offence that a non-LaPolice person is trying to implement. As a rookie OC, Pierce may be reluctant to try non-LaPolice stuff, because, a) he is a rookie. and b) that offence won a Grey Cup and c) maybe O'Shea is directing him. In any case,  he will never be as good as LaPolice at being LaPolice and maybe its time for him to start introducing his own wrinkles because one of the knocks on LaPolice was the predictability of the Bomber offence.

I wish we'd throw a pass to Woli as a slot. Every year we say he needs to get more involved & every year it never changes. And this answer should have been for wbbfan. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I feel like Brandon Banks is done as an MOP and maybe in Hamilton. I'm sure nothing will happen any time soon but I could see him traded mid before the deadline. 

He's tied for 4th in targets and is 24th in yards. His ypc has been cut nearly in half. 

He looked like he can still do some damage when he was returning. But idk if he can get back to his peak form at 33.