2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Desjardins has done no work for years and the team shows it. He's arrogant. 

Nah, only LaPolice is. All the arrogance in the CFL belongs to him. /s

Seriously, though, I agree. Desjardins did little to nothing to retain talent or a balanced roster, and I don't think any HC could've done much better. FWIW, LaPolice probably gets a season or two to get the team back on track.

On 2021-10-24 at 1:25 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can we send a Christmas card to the soon to be former Ottawa GM for taking LaPo away??? 

This post aged incredibly well 😁

3 hours ago, Albertabomberguy said:

Does anyone else thinks it's a red flag that Dinwiddie is already giving up on Arbuckle...

34 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

From the news yesterday, the RedBlacks wants to keep Lapo. Added to the fact that there's a personnel cap space they're considering. 
So it would really make sense for them hire a GM that will agree on keeping Lapo. 

Does it make sense for us? No. Do we care? No. 

Given the amount of hate spewed his way even after he left and the constant bashing he takes in many quarters with some valid arguments but many overblown or just false, I’d say a good portion here do care. Even wish for his failure. I don’t get the personal anger and vitriol myself, especially since he helped end a 29 year drought here and I figured everyone on that team would at least get a pass if not a statue, but hey whatever makes people feel better about themselves I guess. 
And yes, I am being protective of him again because whatever his failings as a coach, he is a decent guy who gave a lot to the city twice in his time here. I like to remember that every time I want to scream “cut the bum” that there is a human being with a family who has a job that is by definition not permanent, and doesn’t need piling on from a bunch of keyboard coaches who revel in pot shots from the cheap seats to make themselves feel superior by saying “I told you so”. If he has a personality defect or moral character flaw a la Chris Jones’ lack of loyalty to a contract, Mike Kelly’s documented open disdain for media and fans, legal or professional cheating issues, or Joe Mack’s or Marcel Desjardins’ arrogance in the face of pure incompetence, have at it. 

Just now, bearpants said:

Does anyone else thinks it's a red flag that Dinwiddie is already giving up on Arbuckle...

Absolutely. He knows him better than anyone. 

But, Lapo was also lambasted for not wanting him. Score one for Lapo. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Given the amount of hate spewed his way even after he left and the constant bashing he takes in many quarters with some valid arguments but many overblown or just false, I’d say a good portion here do care. Even wish for his failure. I don’t get the personal anger and vitriol myself, especially since he helped end a 29 year drought here and I figured everyone on that team would at least get a pass if not a statue, but hey whatever makes people feel better about themselves I guess. 
And yes, I am being protective of him again because whatever his failings as a coach, he is a decent guy who gave a lot to the city twice in his time here. I like to remember that every time I want to scream “cut the bum” that there is a human being with a family who has a job that is by definition not permanent, and doesn’t need piling on from a bunch of keyboard coaches who revel in pot shots from the cheap seats to make themselves feel superior by saying “I told you so”. If he has a personality defect or moral character flaw a la Chris Jones’ lack of loyalty to a contract, Mike Kelly’s documented open disdain for media and fans, legal or professional cheating issues, or Joe Mack’s or Marcel Desjardins’ arrogance in the face of pure incompetence, have at it. 

I think you're kind of missing the point of a discussion forum...

10 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Nice guy ....bad guy...... indifferent guy ..who gives a rat's ass.....The name of the game is WIN in professional sports and a what have you down for me lately....You should know that......There's very little compassion or time given to players or coaches who don't perform and win.....The criticizm follows when you're under performing and fans who pay the dime have that right to criticize......Tough world out there

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

Absolutely. He knows him better than anyone. 

But, Lapo was also lambasted for not wanting him. Score one for Lapo. 

I believe Dinwiddie actually personally went out and god Arbuckle. The familiarity with him & Rogers/Daniels was a major selling point. So I agree it’s a red flag.

26 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I wish all the best to the man who's unit was at the root cause of the infamous "too many men" penalty that cost the 'Riders the 2009 Grey Cup. (He was their Special Teams coordinator at that time)

More recently, Desjardins went out of his way to provide Paul LaPolice with players he was familiar with. The jettisoning of Nick Arbuckle in favour of Matt Nichols came at the request of his head coach. Running back Timothy Flanders, receiver Daniel Petermann and tackles Na’Ty Rodgers and Jamar McGloster were all with LaPolice in Winnipeg. All have been negative impact players in Ottawa.

After Brad Sinopoli retired, per sources, Ottawa’s front office felt uncomfortable with the youth at the position and wanted to add veterans. LaPolice informed Desjardins he didn’t want to add names like S.J. Green, Ricky Collins Jr. and Naaman Roosevelt because his offence didn’t need veteran receivers to be effective.

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/26/during-his-time-in-ottawa-lazy-narratives-emerged-about-former-redblacks-gm-marcel-desjardins/

24 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I think you're kind of missing the point of a discussion forum...

I kind of hoped the point of the forum would include good discussion and debate and be more than just being dicks and kicking people when they are down. Cuz we seem to take issue with the Riderfans forum for acting that way and banning dissenting opinions, and took umbrage with Lyon’ Guy when he called us assholes (the more valid criticism was his backtracking to our face rather Han owning his stance). And I still think in some ways, this forum offers that, which is why I stay. 

12 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Nice guy ....bad guy...... indifferent guy ..who gives a rat's ass.....The name of the game is WIN in professional sports and a what have you down for me lately....You should know that......There's very little compassion or time given to players or coaches who don't perform and win.....The criticizm follows when you're under performing and fans who pay the dime have that right to criticize......Tough world out there

I agree. The problem in this case with that logic is:

- as an OC, he did not for the most part underperform here, and as a head coach he did have some success. But reading comments, you’d think he is useless and undeserving of any job anywhere, and ignores what he did so well, and the success he had (usually dismissed with “it was all the players”). And the. Adding stuff like “he’s arrogant as proven by his arrogance” is a ridiculous personal shot at his character with no substance to back the argument. so why no compassion for the guy who did win here, just because you were seemingly bored with his style of offence? 
- he isn’t here any more anyway, but the hating continues. We’re not suffering or “paying a dime” for his failures, so why care? Yet I read some of the comments and it feels like people want him to crash and burn, like he deserves it. People who have a problem with him should know that he is not our problem any more, so why keep harping on it?

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That could be the tldr on all his posts tbh

If I am missing the point, please enlighten me with a reasoned debate and I will concede. If you can’t muster up a good counter argument, or get past three sentences in a post, don’t use tldr as an excuse to try to make your point. And if you don’t like me personally or my style, you are free to just block me or not respond. No skin off my nose. 

Lapo gets brought up because he was part of this team for a long long time in 3 seperate stretches... and the same problems that were there the first time were still there the 3rd time and followed him to Ottawa too. Yet he still has a legion of fanbois who think he's something special.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Lapo gets brought up because he was part of this team for a long long time in 3 seperate stretches... and the same problems that were there the first time were still there the 3rd time and followed him to Ottawa too. Yet he still has a legion of fanbois who think he's something special.

Also had a lot of success in his three times here, but that seems to be downplayed or flat out ignored by the haters (since you use fanboys). I thought a Grey Cup ring might be the tiebreaker between the problems and the successes in how he would be remembered. And as was said, isn’t WIN the name of the game? But it appears the bitterness runs too deep for some. Maybe you could give me your take on why you take the latter stance. Is it connected to Joe Mack, who if I remember correctly you were a big supporter of? Was it you who came up with IMWT? 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Also had a lot of success in his three times here, but that seems to be downplayed or flat out ignored by the haters (since you use fanboys). I thought a Grey Cup ring might be the tiebreaker between the problems and the successes in how he would be remembered. And as was said, isn’t WIN the name of the game? But it appears the bitterness runs too deep for some. Maybe you could give me your take on why you take the latter stance. Is it connected to Joe Mack, who if I remember correctly you were a big supporter of? Was it you who came up with IMWT? 

Lapo didn't win that much here. As a head coach he needed his defence to get whatever wins they got. He took over a top offence in 02 and presided over a steady decline despite having some all time players to work with. In his latest stint he directly cost us several games with his useless playcalling, I would go so far as to say we might have got a cup sooner if not for him because his game plan in the 2018 west final was utter dogshit. It was crap again in the 2019 west final top but thank God the riders offense was terribad. 

So no tagging along for a Grey Cup doesn't make lapo great all of a sudden, he is still the same flawed and over rated coach he has always been.  Honestly does anyone think the Bombers would be 10-1 right now if we had still had Lapo?

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Lapo didn't win that much here. As a head coach he needed his defence to get whatever wins they got. He took over a top offence in 02 and presided over a steady decline despite having some all time players to work with. In his latest stint he directly cost us several games with his useless playcalling, I would go so far as to say we might have got a cup sooner if not for him because his game plan in the 2018 west final was utter dogshit. It was crap again in the 2019 west final top but thank God the riders offense was terribad. 

So no tagging along for a Grey Cup doesn't make lapo great all of a sudden, he is still the same flawed and over rated coach he has always been.  Honestly does anyone think the Bombers would be 10-1 right now if we had still had Lapo?

This drives me crazy. Was he the head coach or not? Do we give MOS credit for the team or say, without the offense or defense, he's not good? 

And, the Grey Cup championship win means he won something here that the 29 years of OCs didn't. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

My point was that he has a lousy record and its even worse if you take out the one good season meaning he's generally been pretty bad. If Marcel's comments are true about bringing in guys Lapo wanted and him not wanting vets at WR, it shows the arrogance that others have mentioned.

Any GM is going to listen the the HC in terms of what players they would like. This isn't unique to either Lapo or Marcel.

I'm not sure there will ever be a HC that has a good record after 3 years of coaching garbage teams. I'm not saying lapo is a good HC, just that I'm not sure anyone would have done much better in those circumstances.

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This is what I was gonna say. Sure he helped win a grey cup, but without Richie Halls defence it never would have happened. It wasn't like the O was lighting it up in the playoffs.

And when you look at what the O is doing this year, with essentially the same talent from the playoffs in 2019....there's one missing piece....obviously it's hard to compare it apples to apples but I'm also not sure this is what it would have looked like if Lapo was still here.

31 minutes ago, JCon said:

This drives me crazy. Was he the head coach or not? Do we give MOS credit for the team or say, without the offense or defense, he's not good? 

And, the Grey Cup championship win means he won something here that the 29 years of OCs didn't. 

He was the head coach, but he was also the offensive coordinator. For a supposedly brilliant offensive coach why was it the D that was the thing carrying the team?

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Just for fun who was the best oc in that time and were they in the top tier league wide? Have we been sad to see any oc go idk maybe worman. 

I think in that time we've had some of the best dcs but maybe the worst ocs In the whole league. Pretty crazy for the cfl. 

Edited by wbbfan