Covid-19

JCon

11 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Yesterday  I heard that Google and Microsoft are jointly developing a phone app that will track if you are or have been in proximity to one person or another. On one hand, it may be a good way to backtrack spreaders of infection to identify where it came from but I can foresee all manner of potentials for abuse by authorities and hackers.

Yeah it's not worth it given the governments never roll back their own power.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Kenney had better follow Hinshaw, and Hinshaw better (I believe she will) follow Tam, who is following the W.H.O. The problem with Jason Kenney is that he actually believes he's smarter than everyone, so I'm concerned that he stops listening to the experts. As long as we're following the W.H.O. guidelines, I'm good with whatever...

You may not like Kenney & that is your right but he's not a stupid politician. Ottawa will always be in his crosshairs, especially Trudeau so it works well to criticize the federal government back here. He also knows the consequences are dire if the Alberta economy is opened too soon. Nothing wrong for planning for an opening & how it should be done.  Provincial governments should be discussing how the economic rollout will occur in Canada. I have no problem with that at all. 

BTW, did you see the story that Legault in Quebec reopened the mining sector yesterday (April 15th) much to the objections of First Nations in Quebec worried that an influx of miners on their lands will sicken their population already vulnerable to the Covid virus. No one in the Canadian MSM is criticizing the Premier for that. If it was Kenney he'd be demonized & front page news.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Lotsa people in lotsa places are beavering away on a cure, but no one is any closer than 12 months.

Saw an expert on cnn say they may have a vaccine ready for front line health care workers by fall.  It would be subject to special approval for that reason.  And a full public vaccine available widely by spring.  Which honestly sound like good news. 

On 2020-04-15 at 1:04 PM, MOBomberFan said:

Gardeners, greenhouse and tree nursery workers come to mind...

...with the flick of a pen this one (industry) may yet be saved.

The new orders build on the current orders, and maintain the gathering size of no more than 10 people at any indoor or outdoor premises. Additional updates include:

- garden centres and greenhouses can operate, providing social distancing measures are in place

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/?archive=&item=47544

You get a petunia! And YOU get a petunia! EVERYBODY GETS PETUNIAAAAAAS

From www.thedailybeast.com

U.S. Virus Deaths Hit Horrifying One-Day Record: 4,591

UNSPEAKABLE PAIN
Updated Apr. 17, 2020 7:20AM ET Published Apr. 17, 2020 4:17AM EDT

Pedro Vilela

The number of reported deaths in the U.S. hit a grim new high on Thursday, spiking to nearly double the previous record during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the 24 hours ending at 8 p.m. ET Thursday, 4,591 people were reported to have died from coronavirus; the prior daily record was 2,569, on Wednesday. In total, there have been more than 33,000 deaths in the U.S., according to Johns Hopkins University. Global deaths now top 144,000.

For all those “it’s just the flu and no one cares about that” folks.  Covid has surpassed the entire seasonal flu death rate of the 18/19 season in obviously a much shorter time frame. And work obviously massive efforts to contain it.  

Some seasons were higher (upwards of 60,000).  But facts are facts. Logic is logic.  And I wonder how much the idiotic anti vaccine people contributed to bad flu seasons.   

Proud boys in Michigan waving guns and Confederate flags, clogging roads leading to hospitals and blocking ambulances from hospital ramps is just about the most indefensible thing I've heard of so far. The 5G people are crazy, these people are just despicable.

https://www.michiganadvance.com/2020/04/15/whitmer-stay-home-order-protest-turns-into-trump-celebration-with-confederate-flags-and-guns/

48 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Some of these guns toting Trump supports are going to take things to far, and I wouldn't put it past Trump to hope that they do.

Trump has already dropped broad hints that he expects his followers to resort to violence if/when he is turfed. He will deny encouraging them, but the understanding is clear. After all, they are "fine people".

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

FTFY. Waving a Confederate flag out of pride makes about as much sense as waving a Nazi flag for a similar reason. And both are equally idiotic.

I have seen confederate flag stickers on Alberta vehicles, so go figure. Apparently there is something attractive about racism and slavery.

On 2020-04-13 at 3:55 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

As of April 13 -

Sweden: population 10.099 million (#91 in the world), 10,948 cases (19th), 919 deaths (14th), 91 deaths per million pop. (12th), and a mortality rate of 8.4% (deaths/total cases)

Denmark: population 5.792 million (#115 in the world), 6,318 cases (31st), 285 deaths (26th), 41 deaths per million pop. (20th), and a mortality rate of 4.5% (deaths/total cases)

Finland: population 5.540 million (#116 in the world), 3,064 cases (46th), 59 deaths (52nd), 11 deaths per million pop. (48th), and a mortality rate of 1.9% (deaths/total cases)

Norway: population 5.421 million (#119 in the world), 6,551 cases (29th), 134 deaths (34th), 25 deaths per million pop. (27th), and a mortality rate of 2.0% (deaths/total cases)

One week ago, Sweden had 477 deaths and 7,206 cases, for a mortality rate of 6.6%

Sweden now has 1,400 deaths and 13,216 total cases, for a fatality rate of 10.6%. Worldwide the rate has jumped to just under 6.8%, US is almost 5.2%, Canada is a shade under 4.1%