Covid-19

JCon

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Trump has already dropped broad hints that he expects his followers to resort to violence if/when he is turfed. He will deny encouraging them, but the understanding is clear. After all, they are "fine people".

He loves his weasel words. Never outright says it, but heavily implies it. He takes no responsibility that way.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Sweden now has 1,400 deaths and 13,216 total cases, for a fatality rate of 10.6%. Worldwide the rate has jumped to just under 6.8%, US is almost 5.2%, Canada is a shade under 4.1%

This ought to put an end to the debate about restrictions but it won't. 

I cannot agree with this line of thinking. 
IMO, the grocery stores are doing a pretty darn good job of regulating the amount of people in stores and providing a somewhat clean and functioning system. It would be system stifling to try to bring in enforcement to have people abide by some of these suggestions. Never mind the best use of law enforcement.

And I have not seen a “free for all” as described. I can’t speak for other cities, but I like what I see in Windsor. The majority of shoppers are doing it right and the front line workers are being real champs.

We don’t need an extra diversion, extra baggage at this time. And we’re getting closer to a somewhat more normal situation.

It would force some shoppers to go to multi stores if they so need it, and who wants that? 
This is the time when everybody has to work together for the common good...for everybody, including Union workers.

Not everyone has the ability to shop once per week, but it would make things better if they did. There are those who do not have vehicles and bring home food almost daily because that's all they can carry. Save-On foods and other stores are advertising "free" home delivery and curbside pickup but you need to place your order a week in advance.

In general though, I ventured out to Canadian Tire and Home Depot today  and was stuck by the politeness and good humour of everyone, although having to push a cart around to pick up a small can of paint seemed silly.

6 hours ago, Tracker said:

From www.thedailybeast.com

U.S. Virus Deaths Hit Horrifying One-Day Record: 4,591

UNSPEAKABLE PAIN
Updated Apr. 17, 2020 7:20AM ET Published Apr. 17, 2020 4:17AM EDT

Pedro Vilela

The number of reported deaths in the U.S. hit a grim new high on Thursday, spiking to nearly double the previous record during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the 24 hours ending at 8 p.m. ET Thursday, 4,591 people were reported to have died from coronavirus; the prior daily record was 2,569, on Wednesday. In total, there have been more than 33,000 deaths in the U.S., according to Johns Hopkins University. Global deaths now top 144,000.

And Trump wants to open the economy by May 1st? We all thought this guy with the nuclear codes would destroy the world. All it took to destroy his own country is an invisible virus. Who thought it would be that easy? Trump's new slogan: Make America Sick Again. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Big fan of this idea.....would love to see it become the rule. 

No. If they do that then we'll start seeing demonstrations like the ones in the US. Peoiple will push back & become angry. What's next tanks at every street corner? Having to pass checkpoints & present ID like it's Cold War East Germany? Having to ask Big Brother if it's okay to go out on your deck or balcony? Things seem to be working alright in our country as is. Leave it as is. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

MANITOBA COVID-19 UPDATE APR. 17:
- 0 new cases
- total is now 250
- 5 deaths (woman 60s, woman 60s, man 50s, man 60s, man 70s)
- 8 hospitalizations, 4 in ICU
- 132 recoveries (113 active cases)
- 18,856 tests done
- 508 tests completed yesterday

What is the testing rate in Manitoba as compared to other provinces? I think that stat needs to be added in as the number of infected people sure seems low. With zero cases again.  There is no way just 250 people are infected in Manitoba with Covid 19. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No. If they do that then we'll start seeing demonstrations like the ones in the US. Peoiple will push back & become angry. What's next tanks at every street corner? Having to pass checkpoints & present ID like it's Cold War East Germany? Having to ask Big Brother if it's okay to go out on your deck or balcony? Things seem to be working alright in our country as is. Leave it as is. 

then arrest them....you don't just say "we can't control people, so we can't do it"......you deter them by any means necessary to protect the general public. I'm fully on board. 

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What is the testing rate in Manitoba as compared to other provinces? I think that stat needs to be added in as the number of infected people sure seems low. With zero cases again.  There is no way just 250 people are infected in Manitoba with Covid 19. 

Have you checked out this site at all? The kid does a pretty fine job keeping it up to date and providing analysis of the data. 

https://www.covid-19canada.com/

3 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Big fan of this idea.....would love to see it become the rule. 

Solid idea, but how do you enforce it?

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

I cannot agree with this line of thinking. 
IMO, the grocery stores are doing a pretty darn good job of regulating the amount of people in stores and providing a somewhat clean and functioning system. It would be system stifling to try to bring in enforcement to have people abide by some of these suggestions. Never mind the best use of law enforcement.

And I have not seen a “free for all” as described. I can’t speak for other cities, but I like what I see in Windsor. The majority of shoppers are doing it right and the front line workers are being real champs.

We don’t need an extra diversion, extra baggage at this time. And we’re getting closer to a somewhat more normal situation.

It would force some shoppers to go to multi stores if they so need it, and who wants that? 
This is the time when everybody has to work together for the common good...for everybody, including Union workers.

I consider going to the grocery store once a week to stock up the riskiest activity of my week by far the likeliest place I could catch the virus.  I wouldn't want to have to do it multiple times per week.  The stores themselves seem to be clean and well organized, it's the other customers I'm paranoid of,  plenty of people still not taking this seriously enough.  Every time I go I see families of 3-4 shopping together as if they're out for a Sunday stroll.

Then it's a police state & we're no better than China. How would you feel if the RCMP burst into your home & took your wife to an isolation area while you watched helplessly because a gun is pointed at your head? We all saw that going on in Wuhan in January & February. People fighting & screaming while being whisked away in vans by cops wearing Haz Mat suits. Thousands of detention centres would have to be set up across the country. Kids separated from parents. Families separated from one another. Our every move tracked by our smartphones. Once we give up our freedoms then the Genie is out of the bottle. Ninety five per cent of Canadians are voluntarily self isolating. I think there'd be all kinds of violence if Draconian measures are brought in by the federal & provincial governments in the name of public health.

There is absolutely no way something like that EVER happens in Canada. Your crazy republican nightmares would never happen here, especially under a Liberal government. 

I stand by that I'm in favour of whatever measures keep the general public. 

Call me crazy, but one of the people closest to me in my life is an extremely vulnerable person in their early 60s in a long term care facility in Calgary and if I have to lock down the whole country to keep them safe, then **** everyone's rights. 

4 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Solid idea, but how do you enforce it?

Such a stupid idea... how in the bloody hell would they know if I went one day and my wife goes the next day... if one day we go to Costco ,  next day to Superstore,  third day to Sobeys....

The article suggests they can use loyalty cards and peace officers to track....  come on now.   Some people live in some weird reality where they think these kinds of things are easy to implement. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

There is absolutely no way something like that EVER happens in Canada. Your crazy republican nightmares would never happen here, especially under a Liberal government. 

I stand by that I'm in favour of whatever measures keep the general public. 

Call me crazy, but one of the people closest to me in my life is an extremely vulnerable person in their early 60s in a long term care facility in Calgary and if I have to lock down the whole country to keep them safe, then **** everyone's rights. 

Well unfortunately, a lot of people won't look at it like you & will be angry. I'm all for self isolation, self distancing & closing businesses down like we are doing right now to prevent the cure.m I've been self isolating since March 19th & staying indoors. However,  I draw the line on the police & military using force for all of us to stay indoors. If half the population was sick & hospitals were overrun then okay but we're nowhere near that. Right now, Canadians are cooperating voluntarily but take away their democratic rights & I believe that there will be demonstrations in the streets which will defeat everything that has been done by all of us staying home.