Covid-19

JCon

TRUMP ATTACKS ANOTHER DISSENTING VOICE

From thedailybeast.com

Trump Accuses WHO of Causing Coronavirus Deaths, Says He Ordered Halt to Funding

BLAME THEM, NOT ME

The president, himself accused of playing down the severity of the pandemic and giving questionable medical advice, blamed the WHO for “severely mismanaging” the crisis.

A day after turning a coronavirus task force briefing into a tense venting session trumpeting  unfounded authority, President Donald Trump on Tuesday used his presidential platform to lambaste the World Health Organization during the health crisis. 

“Today I'm instructing my administration to halt funding of the World Health Organization while a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization's role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus,” Trump said. 

He went on to accuse the WHO of allowing the new coronavirus to spread by not taking measures swiftly enough, claiming the group ignored “credible” information on human-to-human transmission in December.

“So many deaths have been caused by their mistakes,” he said. “It would have been so easy to be truthful.”

Trump had repeatedly threatened to pull the plug on WHO funding in recent days—attacking the group as “China-centric” just last week—but his decision to actually announce a halt to funding came after he triggered harsh criticism even among some of his own allies by declaring that he has the “total authority” to decide when individual states loosen coronavirus-related restrictions. 

The president has no such authority, and was quickly called out both by experts and elected officials. 

In the same briefing on Monday, when pressed on what many see as his own delayed response to the pandemic, he lashed out at critics in the media, at one point appearing to try and spread the blame by airing an ad that accused reporters of “minimizing” the threat of the virus.

Trump himself has shown an uneven handling of the pandemic back home in the United States. A push to re-open the country on an Easter timeline was abandoned, but not before the president compared the deadly coronavirus to the flu as he fretted about the economic impact of COVID-19.

In other cases, the president’s pushing of the drug hydroxychloroquine to help with  coronavirus patients has also prompted some warnings from medical professionals as the health community struggles to deal with the toll of COVID-19.

The WHO advised against travel restrictions to stop the spread of the virus as recently as late February, arguing that such a move would ultimately be ineffective. Trump called that guidance a “disastrous decision” that he said triggered a “20-fold” increase in cases across the globe.

Meanwhile, he touted his own decision to impose travel restrictions on China as a measure that “saved thousands and thousands of lives.” 

After blasting the WHO for defending the Chinese government and “praising its so-called transparency,” Trump was reminded by CNN’s Kaitlan Collins that he himself had thanked Chinese leaders for being transparent about the virus back in January. 

To be fair, in Manitoba we have 4 Covid related deaths.. In Manitoba we also have 26 deaths related to the seasonal flu virus so.. Perhaps this has been a wee bit overblown. Im following the rules tho but man theres a whole lot of stuff here that makes you go hmmm. 

I kind of agree with King Trump about the WHO tho.. They really did do very little, and do seem to be very eastern world friendly.. U telling me the WHO thinks China is telling the truth tho about deaths? 

With that said, Trump is full of crap and has been for his entire life.. Fact is, in the US, its not Chinas Fault, its not the WHOs fault.. Its Trumps for not listening to the experts

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

To be fair, in Manitoba we have 4 Covid related deaths.. In Manitoba we also have 26 deaths related to the seasonal flu virus so.. Perhaps this has been a wee bit overblown. Im following the rules tho but man theres a whole lot of stuff here that makes you go hmmm. 

well that’s true, things could also be worse if we didn’t take action. It’s like trying to compare what has happened vs what we predicted to happen

1 minute ago, Tiny759 said:

well that’s true, things could also be worse if we didn’t take action. It’s like trying to compare what has happened vs what we predicted to happen

Yeah. I feel tho this has been around longer than they say.. Like all winter and i think besides low testing numbers, i wonder if our very extreme weather plays a role in keeping this in check here.. We go from minus 40 to plus 40.. Our bodies are conditioned to deal with truly extreme temperatures. Honestly ive long thought that if we all got tested here it would show that most of us have this or have had it.. It just doesn't effect us as much as other places. Our small spread out population helps also

Shuffles feet, look both ways before wading into the fray....ahem:

South Dakota, with with a smaller population than Manitoba (850 K) has over 1000 cases of COVID 19.   Public orders and physical distancing laws? None.  

A meat packing plant has shut down, due to numerous COVID 19 cases amongst their employees.

Some info from 100 years ago:

During the Spanish flu epidemic, Manitoba’s Mennonite population ignored social distancing and group size guidelines.  In the end, their death was twice the provincial average. (U of M study) That is staggering, especially when you consider that the vast majority of them lived on farms. 

25 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

And tomorrow he'll say he changed his mind. That's Trump.

Trump eases back on asserting power over governors on reopening:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/492837-trump-eases-back-on-asserting-power-over-governors-on-reopening

Think I know what happened here......somebody brought Trump a copy of the Constitution (10th Amendment)....
....and somebody then read it to him....

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

I kind of agree with King Trump about the WHO tho.. They really did do very little, and do seem to be very eastern world friendly.. U telling me the WHO thinks China is telling the truth tho about deaths? 

With that said, Trump is full of crap and has been for his entire life.. Fact is, in the US, its not Chinas Fault, its not the WHOs fault.. Its Trumps for not listening to the experts

Trump is scapegoating.  He praised China too.  So if we accept his position on WHO then we have to accept he is also to blame.  Not to mention his twiddling his thumbs for over a month. 

In terms of Manitoba.  We’re doing very well.  Could be that Covid is nothing.  Could be that the lockdown worked.  Logic tells us the answer. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Scathing...

And if you think Trump followers believe or care about facts and reality, you would be mistaken. They are swaddled in multiple layers of willful ignorance, and that's the way they like it (uhuh uhuh).

When people follow a corrupt leader blindly, it’s a terrible thing, but when supposedly intelligent people knowingly follow a clearly disturbed man, then it borders on criminal behaviour.
If your not going to stand up for your fellow citizens, at least stand up for yourself.