Lapolice to be name Ottawa’s new HC

Jpan85

5 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

While reading some of these posts in a year end type of review, it’s a bloody wonder we made the playoffs with such bad QB performances..

Ummm...  its basically true - the wheels came off and we limped into the playoffs

Its strange how all of us think its critical that Streveler stays... but his 1400 yards and 9:14 TD-INT ratio really is awful

Yet I'd still sign him ha

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Ummm...  its basically true - the wheels came off and we limped into the playoffs

Its strange how all of us think its critical that Streveler stays... but his 1400 yards and 9:14 TD-INT ratio really is awful

Had he not played the year before and shown really well then I think a whole bunch of people would be writing him off.    That first season when given plays where he can pass the ball he did show  very well.  

9 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

While reading some of these posts in a year end type of review, it’s a bloody wonder we made the playoffs with such bad QB performances..

We can still do better. I don't think we were great, this group has the leadership and potential to be great. With the current situation at QB I don't think we had the potential to win multiple Grey Cups.

3 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Ha! So true with Streveler. If you asked a random NFL football fan who didn't know the Bombers if 1400 yards and 9:14 TD-INT ratio is good or bad for a QB, they'd reply it's terrible! Yet, we (me included) love Streveler, and want to re-sign him. A bit illogical. Potential I guess? I will say my caveat is I would sign him relatively "cheap". If he or his agent start getting stars in their eyes, I would point to his stats, and be prepared to let another team overpay him. 

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Had he not played the year before and shown really well then I think a whole bunch of people would be writing him off.    That first season when given plays where he can pass the ball he did show  very well.  

That's the thing..he was showing and doing well as a typical QB when we first had to play him..but when his run abilities were discovered..well we changed our use of him..put him back to being a QB..but one who "can" run...lookout 

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

My hesitation with Nichols is that he hasn't looked the same since the TC injury in 2018...  a non-contact knee injury and then a minor contact shoulder injury - these are huge red flags

If Bombers are planning on paying him $450k, I'd probably go for Arbuckle instead - try to run with $350k Streveler and $400k Arbuckle

If its an incentive contract then bring him back and spend big on D

Minor contact shoulder injury? He was pancaked from behind by 280 lb Shawn Lemon. How was that minor? 

49 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Ha! So true with Streveler. If you asked a random NFL football fan who didn't know the Bombers if 1400 yards and 9:14 TD-INT ratio is good or bad for a QB, they'd reply it's terrible! Yet, we (me included) love Streveler, and want to re-sign him. A bit illogical. Potential I guess? I will say my caveat is I would sign him relatively "cheap". If he or his agent start getting stars in their eyes, I would point to his stats, and be prepared to let another team overpay him. 

Too bad we can't use Streveler  like the before mentioned Taysom Hill of the Saints a we have a dumb rule where two qbs can't be on the field at the same time. Earlier this past Sunday afternoon vs the Niners Hill came in as a qb & threw two passes. Later he came in as a fullback & ran the ball with Brees handing off to him. That's okay in the NFL but not okay in the CFL?  Which makes no sense to me at all. Imagine if we could use Streveler all over the field as a fullback, tailback, slot & qb?? Trying to account for him would drive opposition DC's crazy & he'd be a very dangerous weapon. But nope. The rules don't allow. 

27 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Too bad we can't use Streveler  like the before mentioned Taysom Hill of the Saints a we have a dumb rule where two qbs can't be on the field at the same time. Earlier this past Sunday afternoon vs the Niners Hill came in as a qb & threw two passes. Later he came in as a fullback & ran the ball with Brees handing off to him. That's okay in the NFL but not okay in the CFL?  Which makes no sense to me at all. Imagine if we could use Streveler all over the field as a fullback, tailback, slot & qb?? Trying to account for him would drive opposition DC's crazy & he'd be a very dangerous weapon. But nope. The rules don't allow. 

That would give the Bombers too big of an unfair advantage.  Now, trade Streveler to the Argos for a bag of balls and suddenly the two-QB rule gets changed....

1 hour ago, M.Silverback said:

Lapo problems.

People tend to forget that Streveler also had almost 800 rushing yards as while... he was what, 6th or 7th in total the in the league? Like it was said above, once Lapo found out what kind of runner 17 could be that became his role...

nichols on the other hand has potential but tends to rely way too heavily on limited number of what he considers trusted targets and the check down... Lapo only compounded this problem with his play calling and the way he used receivers.  

also, Nichols isn’t a very accurate thrower despite his Completion percentage...  Nichols throws a lot of balls high, low, or wide which really kills the chance of yards after the catch... sure, they are within the receivers catch radius but not a good ball that could allow a receiver to advance often.... also, while not his fault, look at how many throws are to a receiver that is stationary or running a version of a come back... again, significantly reduces the chance of YAC...

I’m on the road right now but I’ve got some interesting info to continue my point when I get back to the house... can’t stand posting from my phone, lol...

1 minute ago, 66 Chevelle said:

People tend to forget that Streveler also had almost 800 rushing yards as while... he was what, 6th or 7th in total the in the league? Like it was said above, once Lapo found out what kind of runner 17 could be that became his role...

nichols on the other hand has potential but tends to rely way too heavily on limited number of what he considers trusted targets and the check down... Lapo only compounded this problem with his play calling and the way he used receivers.  

also, Nichols isn’t a very accurate thrower despite his Completion percentage...  Nichols throws a lot of balls high, low, or wide which really kills the chance of yards after the catch... sure, they are within the receivers catch radius but not a good ball that could allow a receiver to advance often.... also, while not his fault, look at how many throws are to a receiver that is stationary or running a version of a come back... again, significantly reduces the chance of YAC...

I’m on the road right now but I’ve got some interesting info to continue my point when I get back to the house... can’t stand posting from my phone, lol...

All issues I have been sqwauking about for a year and a half...to much static targets...no layering..rail shots...etc

And I agree on his accuracy...gets it in the catch radius but too many times the receiver has to do a lot to get the ball, and by then is engulfed

On 1290 radio yesterday, a guest who was interviewed (Lalji?) stated that in talking to the CFL GMs, he had the distinct impression that 2020 would be a year where teams would begin to start dial back QB salaries as Reilly's contract in BC proved that paying that kind of money to a few players beggars the rest of the talent. FWIW.

50 minutes ago, Tracker said:

On 1290 radio yesterday, a guest who was interviewed (Lalji?) stated that in talking to the CFL GMs, he had the distinct impression that 2020 would be a year where teams would begin to start dial back QB salaries as Reilly's contract in BC proved that paying that kind of money to a few players beggars the rest of the talent. FWIW.

I brought this up earlier on the board with Farhan telling 1290 this  and the response on here is that he doesn't know anything and that 1290 is garbage and that people on here know more........ 🙄

I definitely don't see people over paying for the guys available this season.   It doesn't make sense and our club is a great example of showing that with a mediocre qb you can build a good win loss record and have your defense carry you into the play offs.   

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

Insert "surprised- no, not surprised GIF"

Seriously- 85% of this board knew that is exacrly what was goong to happpen... never mind a mid 6 figure salaried general manager...

FFS, even 12% of the riders board knew it was going to shake down like that. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

I brought this up earlier on the board with Farhan telling 1290 this  and the response on here is that he doesn't know anything and that 1290 is garbage and that people on here know more........ 🙄

I definitely don't see people over paying for the guys available this season.   It doesn't make sense and our club is a great example of showing that with a mediocre qb you can build a good win loss record and have your defense carry you into the play offs.   

Many posters considered Reilly overpaid right from the start - Chungh too, for that matter.  The 1290 criticisms stem from the fact that they hardly cover the Bombers at all (we’re biased that way) - this has improved slightly. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Many posters considered Reilly overpaid right from the start - Chungh too, for that matter.  The 1290 criticisms stem from the fact that they hardly cover the Bombers at all (we’re biased that way) - this has improved slightly. 

1290 is godawful. The morning trio were gushing over Edmonton and BC after free agency opened saying how much better they would be and that the Bomber might struggle to get the crossover. It was obvious that BC wouldn't be able to afford much else beyond Reilly and would need a whole lot of cheap imports to over-perform. 

And no one says that Farhan doesn't know anything. He's not a local reporter or radio guy.