Game Day Thread: Week 15- Bombers @ Als, Khari Redux Edition

Wanna-B-Fanboy

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Its gonna help their next team, though.

Maybe, but im not sold on noodle arm Adams yet. With the way our db coverage was last game there were many times Adams had  a receiver but had a hard time hitting them in stride. His only saving grace on some plays was there was no db in good position allowing the receiver huge latitude to adjust to the ball.

5 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

No- he needs to face the music in Winnipeg. Let's see some between the whistle justice. 

Agreed.  The bar has been set by the CFL at 1 game so it might be worth it to give him a taste of his own medicine.  Bighill is too much of a class act to do it though so I nominate Hecht since it might be a positive thing to have him off the field for a game. 

9 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Agreed.  The bar has been set by the CFL at 1 game so it might be worth it to give him a taste of his own medicine.  Bighill is too much of a class act to do it though so I nominate Hecht since it might be a positive thing to have him off the field for a game. 

No. No. I am not advocating to pull a Simoni or a Henoch- Just relentless pressure him and hit him hard during the game. 

On 2019-09-22 at 2:07 PM, BBRT said:

Sorry dude - trying to blame this on on the ref's failure to call what Adams did is just sour grapes IMHO. The Bombers offense and defense just plain gave up the ghost in the second half. I believe the office scored 3 points in the second half and we all know what to expect from a Richie Hall Defense - Nothing more to say - A Richie Hall defense will never ever win you a Grey Cup!

Interesting...you said that the O and D were ghosts in the 2nd...very true and if a Hall D won’t win a Cup....what is left to be say of the prospects on LaPo’s O winning one?

On 2019-09-22 at 4:47 PM, Goalie said:

Im just saying Adams trying to legit injure someone and not getting ejected for it is a problem. Its actually the biggest problem. Imagine he connected hard and bighill got knocked out?  Ya the D sucked.. Ya OC DC are 2 conservative but a guy legit tried to injure a guy and theres barely a peep from anyone about it. 

It wasn't a coincidence that Bighill was in Vernon Adams face.

Everyone knows the quarterback is free game once the turnover happened and Bighill fully intended to block Adams imo regardless of where the ball was headed. All within the rules. Mike O'Shea would have done the same thing back in his playing days.

It wasn't like Adams went looking for Bighill and I don't think VA was intentionally trying to injure anyone. He reacted and was called on it. 

Pretty good play by Bighill actually . Hopefully no lingering issues for him and life goes on.

Time to start thinking about Dane Evans and get back to winning football games again.

43 minutes ago, Carlos Harper said:

It wasn't a coincidence that Bighill was in Vernon Adams face.

Everyone knows the quarterback is free game once the turnover happened and Bighill fully intended to block Adams imo regardless of where the ball was headed. All within the rules. Mike O'Shea would have done the same thing back in his playing days.

It wasn't like Adams went looking for Bighill and I don't think VA was intentionally trying to injure anyone. He reacted and was called on it. 

Pretty good play by Bighill actually . Hopefully no lingering issues for him and life goes on.

Time to start thinking about Dane Evans and get back to winning football games again.

But we still have all this vitriol.....

I don’t want see that kind of failure again in the last minutes. From the offence, or the defence. I don’t see monumental failure like that collapse from good teams. 

Can we not just use 9 DBs to actually prevent big plays?

I can envision a 3-9 package rotating our nose tackles and DEs to keep them fresh and to keep the opposing team’s guessing. Rotating 6-7 guys up front definitely would cause confusion for the opposing teams because they seemed to have figured out how we deploy as it is now.

I don’t pretend to know the answer, but it certainly seems, after a few tries, that our team doesn’t either.

On 2019-09-23 at 7:14 PM, DR. CFL said:

Interesting...you said that the O and D were ghosts in the 2nd...very true and if a Hall D won’t win a Cup....what is left to be say of the prospects on LaPo’s O winning one?

in my opinion - None! Nada! LaPo is already penciled in as a HC somewhere. I think they will get into the playoffs - do their normal one and done and then disburse to parts unknown.

On 2019-09-25 at 5:44 PM, BBRT said:

in my opinion - None! Nada! LaPo is already penciled in as a HC somewhere. I think they will get into the playoffs - do their normal one and done and then disburse to parts unknown.

What makes people thing LaPolice will ever succeed as an HC.? Questionable as a OC and previous failure as an HC.  Is this another example of give someone a recommendation so you can get rid of him?

14 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

What makes people thing LaPolice will ever succeed as an HC.? Questionable as a OC and previous failure as an HC.  Is this another example of give someone a recommendation so you can get rid of him?

Good or bad I think it may be other teams management who may be considering giving him another chance at HC. Whether some people like it or not, he knows football inside out. However does that translate well onto the field, how well he can work with others who have different opinions on certain football schemes and is he able to flex his system when needed are all up for debate. If I was considering him to be a HC for my team, these are the things I would focus on with him.

18 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

More than a few problems with both of those statements. As an OC, his first year in Winnipeg in 2002 his club set 14 offensive club records. His teams have made the playoffs every year he has been an OC in Winnipeg and Sask. Won a Grey Cup in '07 as the Sask. receivers coach. As OC in Sask. got the 'Riders to first place and Darian Durant as an all-star QB. Has had the #1 scoring offence in Winnipeg each year since he came back. I get people don't like his style because we don't put up 50 points or 500 yards offence or 300 yards passing a game, but his winning record speaks for itself. He has the best running back by far (and maybe the best dual threat pass catching and running RB in league history) in the CFL right now, and he rightfully devises a game plan around that weapon, and critics here whine that he is holding back a stud receiver like Wolitarsky or Petermann who should be a 1,500 yard guy but for his handcuffs (based on what prior evidence, I ask?). He runs a ball control, time of possession, low mistake offence, and it gets us wins. He tailored it to a cerebral QB in Matt Nichols who could take a ball control low mistake offence  and run it well. Now, he has a more aggressive runs-better-than-he-passes green QB and has suited the offence to those strengths with a more run/pass option-style game. Pretty astute and talented, I'd say. Why can't people be happy with that? Because we haven't won a Grey Cup with Calgary in our way the last 5 years? I've lived through the brutal 1970's teams, Reinbold, Daley, and Mack, and I'll take this level of success over those years any time, thank you very much. So not sorry if I come across as condescending, but this constant LaPo bashing which is based on the "feeling" that he is boring and conservative and not aggressive, and disregards objective measures like offensive point totals and most importantly win/loss record and discount them as meaningless because it doesn't fit the agenda that "he is a failure because I don't want him here" gets me fed up.

As for his head coaching, first year as a rookie head coach he went through 4 QBs due to injury. He acknowledged after that year his failings as a head coach the year before by saying he micromanaged and didn't put enough trust in his assistants to game plan, and was not tuned in enough to the game day situational stuff going on, and learned from it and got better. Better enough to go to the Grey Cup in year 2. Year 3 was more QB injuries, and a knife in the back from Joe Mack at the first moment things got tough (You can agree of disagree with my take, but I will always put the blame largely on Mack for the failings of those teams, and I will pull objective evidence to support my subjective stance if need be). And so he failed once, lots of coaches do and get better. Ron Lancaster was 4-28 as a head coach in Saskatchewan, took a decade off, and returned to win 2 Grey Cups with Edmonton and Hamilton. And guess which head coach was fired after seasons of 6-10, 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, and 5-11 in his first go-round?

HINT: he coaches Tom Brady now.