Matt Nichols Discredited Too Much? Passing Yards Are Meaningless

5 hours ago, JCon said:

Bit of hyperbole, yes, but he needed to get it over the coverage and over Demski's shoulder, which he did. It doesn't get much better.

True. Our high school coach used to say, if you can touch it, you should be able to catch it. 

16 minutes ago, J5V said:

True. Our high school coach used to say, if you can touch it, you should be able to catch it. 

Not at all true though. I remember when they told us running wind sprints till you puked and not having water during two a days in the hot sun made you tough.  

If a wr completely lays out at max speed and can just tough the ball with the tips of the finger, that doesnt mean they should be able to catch it.

There is also a grey zone in the middle of should catch it, and shouldnt have to make an attempt like that on a poorly thrown ball. The biggest football wide example of that is on balls thrown behind targets on ins/outs. Im not talking about throwing a wr open, im talking about the wr having to 180 his momentum and make a stretched out catch behind them then turn back to their previous path. Likewise if a wr going over the middle is thrown high, reaches out and is crushed by a DB and doesnt come down with it, that isnt their fault. They couldnt protect them self and were hung out to dry.

A qbs arm also plays into it. While a pass to the hands can be easier to catch with a strong arm passer, a pass to the fingers isnt. Some big arm qbs have been known to break fingers with such passes. You catch with your hands, not your fingers. If a wr isnt hung out to dry on a play, and the ball hits his hands or with in the reach of his hands and dont come up with it its a drop. unless a db makes a great play on it of course. Though the most frequent source of a bad drop, is a wr trying to body catch a pass they could catch with their hands. 

Just because you can touch it, doesnt mean you should be able to catch it. If a wr is able to get with in a stride of it, the qb and wr should have been able to make the connection but there was execution issues. Which can be any thing from a pass not being accurate, to a drop, or a db pushing a guy off his route just enough to disrupt the timing of a play. 

30 minutes ago, J5V said:

Definitely heard Milt say this before. It's not precisely true as wbbfan extensively points out, but a receiver's #1 job is usually to catch the catchable balls thrown your way.

"If it's catchable, you should be able to catch it" just doesn't have the same ring to it, though

14 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Definitely heard Milt say this before. It's not precisely true as wbbfan extensively points out, but a receiver's #1 job is usually to catch the catchable balls thrown your way.

"If it's catchable, you should be able to catch it" just doesn't have the same ring to it, though

Milt also made some catches that didnt seem possible. I agree it is the job of an elite / no1 wr to make catches others wouldnt. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Its happened at times with pitchers. No mas. 

It definitely happens in all kinds of team sports because no one player is greater than the team. It is usually the coach's job to pull the struggling player but a player that knows himself well can tell if he doesn't "have it". 

On 2019-07-29 at 1:32 PM, B-F-F-C said:

You seem to use this reasoning to help your self interest. So when we’re winning it’s the team and when we’re losing it’s nichols fault? 

Nope.... I just noticed others doing the opposite.... when the team wins it's Nichols win..... when the team loses its always somebody other than the QB' fault.

On 2019-07-30 at 8:32 AM, trueBlue83 said:

They just had Stegall on TSN Radio this morning, and he was commenting about how himself & Henry Burris both need to see Nichols have an outstanding game where he throws for 300+ and wins one through the air when the running game isn't working "because that's what great QB's can do", and went on to say that they have yet to see this out of Nichols.

Gee..... sounds like me and Milt an Burris are seeing the same things .....

On 2019-07-30 at 6:11 PM, wbbfan said:

Not at all true though. I remember when they told us running wind sprints till you puked and not having water during two a days in the hot sun made you tough....

Y'know what though? Since he told us that, and us being the impressionable youngsters that we were, we made some outrageous finger-tip catches that I don't think we would even have tried for beforehand. I mean, we really believed it, because coach said it, so it had to be true, so if we could even get a finger on the ball, to us, that meant we should be able to catch it, and damned if we didn't a lot of the time. Pure psychology. Who knew? LOL!

7 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

and... even a blind squirrel will find a nut every now and then.

I just find a bit of humour in the fact that Stegall and Burris are now saying exactly what got me kicked off that other forum.  And has caused a few here to get rude.  I hope Nichols goes out and does it tonight.  100+ receiving for the other big Chris as well....

Edited by NorthernSkunk
Spelled Milts name wrong

1 hour ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I just find a bit of humour in the fact that Stegall and Burris are now saying exactly what got me kicked off that other forum.  And has caused a few here to get rude.  I hope Nichols goes out and does it tonight.  100+ receiving for the other big Chris as well....

Weird how that never happened. You started trolling the Jets subsection during last year's playoffs. Everyone there saw through your BS and you couldn't handle it - so you ran away and joined this forum. Much to the chagrin of many.

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Plus using Burris to justify your position is pretty stupid. Milt isn't all that insightful either, he is basically trying to be the clown of the panel.

The best thing Milt does nowadays is make Sanchez look stupid when he tries to trash-talk Milt. Sanchez can't hold a candle to Milt as a commentator and especially as a player and should watch the disrespectful trash talk and just call Milt, sir. 

Should also be noted, that Nichols did that exact thing last year vs CGY....so they are basically just wrong. He hasn't done it this year, but he only needed to once (Even though the run game was working it was just ignored for some odd reason) but had a few of his big time receivers out due to injury.

So while I think you're just a troll Northernskunk, you're also horribly wrong in this case along with Burris and Stegall.

This basically just comes down to people wanting Nichols to do something, just for shits and giggles. If there's no need, there's no need. 

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Weird how that never happened. You started trolling the Jets subsection during last year's playoffs. Everyone there saw through your BS and you couldn't handle it - so you ran away and joined this forum. Much to the chagrin of many.

You think I ran away ......lol.  I would still be there if it weren't for the crying thin skins who couldn't handle simple facts.

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Plus using Burris to justify your position is pretty stupid. Milt isn't all that insightful either, he is basically trying to be the clown of the panel.

As stupid as it may be..... there was no way I could let it slip by without jumping on it,  just because they are the " experts" on the TSN panel.  Lol.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

So while I think you're just a troll Northernskunk, you're also horribly wrong in this case along with Burris and Stegall.

Not bad company to be wrong with though lol.   And why do I get called a troll for simply stating my opinion about Nichols play some days ?.... I don't say anything more that has been said by others... an the others don't get called a troll.  Plus I don't argue incessantly ever with others.  Please take my opinions as simply just an opinion and not that I am ever looking for a fight.

Go Bombers !

Edited by NorthernSkunk
Spelling error

2 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Not bad company to be wrong with though lol.   And why do I get called a troll for simply stating my opinion about Nichols play some days ?.... I don't say anything more that has been said by others... an the others don't get called a troll.  Plus I don't argue incessantly ever within others.  Please take my opinions as simply just an opinion and not that I am ever looking for a fight.

Go Bombers !

It's mostly because regardless of facts or others consistently proving you wrong, you hold on to those opinions. Maybe a better term would be stubborn.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

It's mostly because regardless of facts or others consistently proving you wrong, you hold on to those opinions. Maybe a better term would be stubborn.

I can live with that,  mostly because there can be many opinions on a subject and none of them ever 100% proven one way or the other.  I acknowledge Nichols stats,  I just don't believe 100% yet he has what it takes to win two or three playoff games and get that cup...... I will add that he did show some better poise with the long balls to start the season,  his scrambling ain't much better yet this year but I am hoping it improves.  All good so far this year except for last weeks bad game,  and I will be cheering him on when the game starts tonight.   

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I found it very insightful that everyone calls Vernon Adams Jr   "VAJ"  …. :38_worried::38_worried:  

Edited by Brandon
censored